The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Bad game last tuesday

Well i was doing a LL Softball Tourney which the rules were about half-arsed..but anyways they had 7-11yr olds on the same team, so it would be about the Minor Division. We'll I did the plate and I know i wasnt doing well. But Sunday I was the plate ump for a Major Softball district championship and I did exellent. But Tuesday was different. My zone was the problem. We were asked to call a generous strike zone for this level of play. My zone was about from Shins to neck; batterbox to batterbox. Only one of the coaches was fussing about it though; after I called a girl out on strike 3 to end an inning. I ignored him and he went away. I mean, it was consistant for both teams. But I knew I have done better, even my partner said I called strikes that bounced over the plate! But what do you do when none of the pitchers can get it right over the plate? I had to call strikes. The home team (whos manager wanted to argue strikes) lost, the game went the full 6 innings, and took 2 1/2 hrs! Game started about 6pm and I got out of the park about quarter of nine. Whats your thoughts in a situation like this? (BTW, i do not wanna do this tourney again; atleast not softball) I just dont know about this game.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
Well i was doing a LL Softball Tourney which the rules were about half-arsed..but anyways they had 7-11yr olds on the same team, so it would be about the Minor Division. Whats your thoughts in a situation like this?
I dont understand the point of your post recapping your week, but I doubt very few people on this board ever worked a Little League Softball game. Sounds like you lost focus, but then again who wouldnt?
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Try this:

http://forum.officiating.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

just try your best

i've been given a league all to myself with 9-10 year olds who play with a softer ball because their parents don't want them to get hurt, but these pitches they throw are just lollypops and i just have to call it were it crosses the plate even if it does hit the plate, but my strike zone is usually shoulders to knees, a ball inside and a ball and a half outside. hope that helps
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
I dont understand the point of your post recapping your week, but I doubt very few people on this board ever worked a Little League Softball game. Sounds like you lost focus, but then again who wouldnt?
Well it was my last game this year, and I decided to look back at this year and see where i coulda done better and so fourth. This is was my first season, and i wanna come back next year and do much better. It's easy to lose focus when they are real young. Baseball isnt near as bad; pitchers can get the ball over the plate. I havent done much softball; but im planning to next year. (not that level tho)
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlanco25
i've been given a league all to myself with 9-10 year olds who play with a softer ball because their parents don't want them to get hurt, but these pitches they throw are just lollypops and i just have to call it were it crosses the plate even if it does hit the plate, but my strike zone is usually shoulders to knees, a ball inside and a ball and a half outside. hope that helps
Perfect case of mom worried they are gunna get hurt; and dad says go play, gettin hurt is part of sports and take the pain lol and when u say softerball do you mean a softball or a baseball that is soft? I know in our league; tee ball and coach pitch baseball use them, and from minors on up they use hard balls, and softball they use just regular softballs, since their is no coach pitch softball.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
No Fall baseball in your area?
This is PA for crying out loud. lol but no their isnt. The only thing right now is Sectionals and that, which im not eligible to do yet. But overall i done 8 games behind the plate in the reg season, about 25 in the feild, and during All-Stars and another tourney, I done the plate twice, and in the field 7 times i think.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Never call a zone that is bigger than you feel comfortable with, or that is not the regularly accepted zone size for that level/league. No matter what the coaches, or anyone else asks you to do.

I have done that twice (early) in my career, and I will never do it again.

First time, was a (last) regular season game between two LL teams that were not in the playoffs. Both coaches wanted a big strike zone to keep the game moving, and to keep it from being a walk-fest. I took a major load of grief from the crowd, and the players.

Second time was a HS pre-season scrimmage. This time, I had the coaches announce to the crowd that THEY had requested a larger than usual strike zone, to get the kids swinging the bat. It was still a nightmare.

The last reason I won't do it is this;

I have spent years working on several CONSISTENT zone sizes for the different levels I work. I am not going to go throw all that out of the window, and screw up my conditioning for anybody. Plus, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a fair and consistent, enlarged zone. But you already know that, don't you !

Nick
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Contrary to popular belief, a big strike zone does not yield a better or quicker game. Not always.

I umpire an adult league with some pretty good pitching. Wood bat. Calling a big strike zone does not move the game along -- pitchers are good enough to throw the ball where they need to, so calling a normal strikezone forces them to put the ball on the plate. More balls get hit. More grounders and popups and fewer 8 pitch batters. I've worked 9 innings in 1:30 in this league, although 2 hours is about the norm.

With kids, expand the zone at bit in and out, sure, but don't ever put yourself in a position where you're letting the coaches tell you how to call a game. If you are calling pitches that bounced strikes and you don't know about it, your timing is way too fast and you need to slow down and relax a bit back there.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I'm gonna jump in here

PA is talking about LL softball, where I have a bit of experience.

I have never adjusted my zone more than in LLSB.

First off, it is the same rulebook zone as in hardball, verbatim.

When chuckers are throwing a legit fastpitch (windmill, slingshot), it's much easier to call balls and strikes. However, when teams get deep into their pitching ranks, you'll see the inevitable "lobber." Here, just using simple physics, every pitch has lots more chance of being a strike because of its arc.

You vets may chastise me, but I have called strikes on pitches that bounced into F2's mitt. Why: Such pitches grab plenty of zone; they are eminently hittable, and defense is putting itself at risk by a pitcher throwing virtual BP.

One off. coach moaned about my zone when the other team used an "archer." I replied, "You're up 10 runs. You've gone through their whole pitching staff, and this girl is dishing them up on a silver platter. Yes, expect more strikes."

The vagaries of youth-league pitching are many. I am verrrry careful during inning 1, and let the level of pitching (and hitting) determine the nuances of the zone. But my colleagues are right, in essence; really futzing with your zone can lead to the weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Ace
Old Mon Jul 31, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Fall ball

"This is PA for crying out loud. lol but no their isnt".....

There is a lot of Fall baseball in Pennsylvania.....but you may just have to hunt for it.....In W. PA. there are a lot of travel/AAU programs and HS (club) fall ball....the youth programs are playing fall baseball, albeit, on mostly an unorganized level.... and the adult leagues play too....

You need to contact your local PIAA chapter. The HS guys will be able to let you know who is playing and at what levels. If you need helping doing that contact me and i will get you a name and number..

Barring that, you need to get in your car and drive around. You will find teams playing or practicing. Stop and get out...ask the coaches....you will get games. We have a shortage of umpires and quite honestly no shortage of games.....

Beyond "LL" there is a lot of baseball being played.....If softball is your game, the girls leagues in W.PA. play until it snows......

Dont sit back and wait for games....go get some and you will find that they will find you. I regularly get phone calls from HS and youth coaches looking for umpires in the fall.....When I can, I do a small fall schedule, but most times, I refer the caller to umpires I know who are available and willing to call games regardless of level.........

Best of luck.

Stan
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Stan

Stan, send me a PM. It wont let me send you one???
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Pm

Pm returned