The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
National Federation rule chances for 2007

The Fed today released the changes for next year's baseball season.

They have been busy in the off-season.

Go to Officiating.com and read.

No log in required.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing major, just seems like some stuff that is prevalent in FED and higher. Only thing that strikes me as weird is the restricting the head coach to the dugout for coaches being out of the coaches' box. Should be interesting to see how much that one is enforced.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:00pm

I hope they don't plan on trying to enforce the throat guard requirement for umpires who wear HSMs. That would be lame.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress
The Fed today released the changes for next year's baseball season.

They have been busy in the off-season.

Go to Officiating.com and read.

No log in required.
Throat guard? That's funny. The day the NFHS tells me what to wear behind the plate is the day I pack it in. I hate dangling throat protectors and I wouldn't wear one even if I didn't have a helmet.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I think the coaching box new rule is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. The rule itself is a little strange, but their reasoning behind it is the worst. Distracting the pitcher during his motion? By moving outside of the box? What if the manager is 3rd base coach and its a lefty? Do I still restrict him to the dugout? Spirit of the rule would say no.

But, of course, coaches can distract all they want as long as they stand in that box. Mooning is allowed, of course.

Good job NFHS, for another wacky, meaningless, and pointless rule that will never get enforced.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation LaCrosse Provides Better Umpire Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I hope they don't plan on trying to enforce the throat guard requirement for umpires who wear HSMs. That would be lame.
I recently tried on a Nike HSM. My chin support was uncomfortable and my NECK "stuck out" from underneath both sides of the helmet. Those HSM were designed for big alien heads with thin little chins.

Logic dictates that there are many reasons why an Eagle Lexan Throat Guard Clear Hockey Goalie Neck Bib or a NEW RBK REEBOK HOCKEY GOALIE NECK/THROAT GUARD exist in the first place.

See 1) http://cgi.ebay.com/Eagle-Lexan-Thro...QQcmdZViewItem

See 2) http://cgi.ebay.com/Itech-Ice-Hockey...QQcmdZViewItem

See 3) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RBK-REEBOK-H...QQcmdZViewItem

I would prefer you wear the NEW all-black Larosse helmet made by Cascade and others in place of a HSM. It looks more favovable to a baseball batting helmet with a high-end titanium face mask. The "dangling" throat guard remains optional.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 03:51pm.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
The ctitical issue is that "face protection" is now a POE. As I have stated previously:

FED is set on mandatory face masks to be worn by all defensive players.

Step One: Last year they clearly allowed it.

Step Two: They made it the lead item in their press release concerning all rules changes.

Step Three: It is a POE this season.

Step Four: Will probably be another year at the POE level and,

Step Five: The prediction is by 2008 all defensive players will be required to wear a face protective system during all FED games.

FEDlandia has no right to tell a sub-contractor what to wear when umpiring. I will never wear a dangler . . . period.

Anyone else thinking of giving up FEDlandia games?
Regards,

Tee:

Please tell me that you made a misprint and that FED is looking to require face masks on all offensive players and not defensive.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Tee:

Please tell me that you made a misprint and that FED is looking to require face masks on all offensive players and not defensive.

Tim.
Perhaps offensive players. With the death of a pitcher who was hit by a batted ball off an aluminum bat, many states are looking at ways to prevent this from ever happening again.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:11pm

Quote:
Tee:

Tim.
No, not a misprint. They want all defensive players wearing helmets with face masks.

Now, I've been hollering about FED rules for a long time now, but now it has gotten out of hand. I want to tell the FED folks the same thing the fans like to yell at the umpires: Let the kids play baseball!
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, not a misprint. They want all defensive players wearing helmets with face masks.

Now, I've been hollering about FED rules for a long time now, but now it has gotten out of hand. I want to tell the FED folks the same thing the fans like to yell at the umpires: Let the kids play baseball!

YGTBSM is about all I have to say about that.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:29pm

Quote:
YGTBSM is about all I have to say about that.

Tim.
Okay, Forrest Ump.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm all for the safety of the players, but at what point does it become just a b@$t@rdized form of baseball? If they're so concerned about fielders getting seriously injured by a batted ball they should modify the BESR rating requirements or just go back to wood bats only.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wait until a defensive player gets seriously injured when his view of a hard-hit ball is obscured by a mask.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb On second thought

Quote:

See "Aluminum bats at center of emotional debate" found at http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13343180/.

It will all boil down to the associated league costs. According to this article, 17 baseball related deaths were reported from 1991 to 2001. But how many more serious injuries go unreported? I would estimate that less than one percent of the players actually die from sustained injuries. That would imply that at least 1700 children suffer some sort of serious injury over a ten year peiod. Facial injuries would be the worse (JMHO). If you already endorse the tobacco rules that are already mandatory and in place, then it appears that all defensive players will soon be wearing helmets with face masks. What you think will not matter as much as the local politician who wants to get re-elected. I am sure his bean counters will soon begin doing their cost/benefit analysis and helmet manufacturers will gladly cover the costs.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Jul 18, 2006 at 05:41pm.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just a question .....................

What is the POE concerning umpires professionalism all about ?

Doug