The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

help with calls made last night's game

first of all this is babe ruth league that play's pro rules...first question is when the opposing coach callls time and goes and visits mound the third base coach of the other team calls his runners and batter over to talk and is informed that he can only do this once per inning thus using up his offensive time out...even though the other coach calls timeout?? I assumed that when the other coaches call time I can call my runners off the base and batter together as many times as I want if the other coach is call the time out??/please clarify...next one in the same game runner at first.... batter hits ball that then hits runner..1st baseman picks up ball after it hits runner and tags first before batter gets to first...ump calls delayed dead ball ...calls runner out and batter out...is this possible..thanks for all your help..csuram
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Sitch 1: As long as you do not delay the game any further, you can talk to your players when the defense is conferring. If you continue to talk to your players after the defensive conference is over, then you can be charged with the offensive conference.

Sitch 2: As soon as the batted ball hit the runner from first, the ball is dead and the runner is out and the batter gets first base. Unless in the judgement of the umpire no other player had a legitimate chance of making a play on the ball, then the ball remains LIVE.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

husker

husker so i my bring my players over as many times as i want if the opposing caoch is calling time out and i am not keeping my players together to long...and since the first baseman makes the play on the dead ball the batter is still awarded first..i this what i and hearing thanks in advance..csuram
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 11:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuram
next one in the same game runner at first.... batter hits ball that then hits runner..1st baseman picks up ball after it hits runner and tags first before batter gets to first...ump calls delayed dead ball ...calls runner out and batter out...is this possible..thanks for all your help..csuram
The umpire incorrectly ruled in this case. First of all, if you are playing by pro rules, there is no such call as "delayed dead ball." The ball is either alive or dead. On plays such as obstruction or batter's interference when there is a possibility that the ball will become dead at a later time, no call is made until that time. Delayed dead ball is a HS and LL call. Secondly, as soon as the ball hit the runner before it reached F3, the ball is immediately dead, R1 is out for interference, and the batter-runner is awarded 1st base. There is no way to get two outs on this play. The umpire blew it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The umpire incorrectly ruled in this case. First of all, if you are playing by pro rules, there is no such call as "delayed dead ball." The ball is either alive or dead. On plays such as obstruction or batter's interference when there is a possibility that the ball will become dead at a later time, no call is made until that time. Delayed dead ball is a HS and LL call. Secondly, as soon as the ball hit the runner before it reached F3, the ball is immediately dead, R1 is out for interference, and the batter-runner is awarded 1st base. There is no way to get two outs on this play. The umpire blew it.
Delayed dead ball in FED is not for interference. The ball is dead IMMEDIATELY.

Actually it IS possible to get two outs on an interference call. If the umpire rules that the runner INTENTIONALLY interfered, the BR is also out.

Bob
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

If in the umpires opinion the defense would have probably had a double play had the runner not touched the ball the result would be the runner and the batter would both be retired.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Actually it IS possible to get two outs on an interference call. If the umpire rules that the runner INTENTIONALLY interfered, the BR is also out.

Bob

The first two situations in FED where INT is a delayed dead ball that come to mind are coaches interference and batters interference.

Tim.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

You can't expect the runner to disappear. If in the umpire's opinion the runner intentionally touched the ball (as bluezebra pointed out) then a double play is awarded. Otherwise, interference is called, runner is called out, and BR is at first.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Bob
That is incorrect. Batter's Interference is a delayed dead ball in FED.

In the situation given, it sounds like the umpire incorrectly called both the runner and the BR out. It sounded as though the batted ball just happened to hit the runner. Without intent, it is impossible to call two outs on that play. That is what I thought I was inferring when I wrote what I did. I guess I have to be more careful when using absolutes, because someone will always state an exception to the rule.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

guys what about not being able to call my

guys what about not being able to call my players over when they call time and coach goes and talks to pitcher...i am being told i can only talk to my players once per inning...if he goes out for the next time out i cannot bring my players over and talk to them..thanks
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Husker answered your question:

Sitch 1: As long as you do not delay the game any further, you can talk to your players when the defense is conferring. If you continue to talk to your players after the defensive conference is over, then you can be charged with the offensive conference.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
guys what about not being able to call my players over when they call time and coach goes and talks to pitcher...i am being told i can only talk to my players once per inning...if he goes out for the next time out i cannot bring my players over and talk to them..thanks
When playing FED rules, if offensive coach calls TO to confer with batter or runners then he can only have one per inning. If he gathers batter or runners together during a TO called by defense as long as this discussion breaks up about the same time the defensive conference does, ie no delay of game, he is not charged with an offensive conference. This can happen more than once per inning.

In OBR he can call TO for as many offensive conferences per inning as the PU will stand for. There is no such thing as being charged with an offensive conference in OBR.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
That is incorrect. Batter's Interference is a delayed dead ball in FED.
That's right, and batter's interference is enforced exactly the same way in OBR, which is why it is unhelpful when instructing neophyte coaches to say things like "there's no such thing as delayed dead ball in OBR."

It's a concept, not a stipulated rule, and it is valid in several instances in OBR as well as FED.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In FED, Little League, and most other rules codes I'm familiar with, the "other" team can conference for free when a team has a charged conference. I'm don't know if there is a specific ruling in support or to the contrary for your Cal Ripken, but if I were a bettor, I would bet that such an interpretation exists.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:04pm

If, on the other hand, the offensive coach requests and is granted time to confer with a batter or a runner, and the defensive coach goes out to talk to his pitcher during the offensive conference, the defensive coach is charged with a trip to the mound (NCAA and OBR/PBUC official interpretation).