The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
3 man crew situation...

Granted this happened in a LL game when I was 1st base ump, but it could happen at a higher level as well.

Man on first, none out. I'm in A, U3 is in C (for LL outside the infield). Groundball to second. F4 tags runner, and throws to first to complete DP.

Who has that tag? Wouldn't the man in C have everything leading up to and at the bag in this situation?

Thanks.

Last edited by TussAgee11; Thu Jul 13, 2006 at 06:59pm.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 08:20pm

This is why more and more LL umpires are working inside these days, in an official position named "B2." B2 is right where U2 works in big field 4-man, on the 2nd base side on the edge of the infield grass. From this position, he can see R1 and R3 leave early, and only sacrifices the view of R2. The argument that this puts the BU in the way, or that he will get hit is a very weak one. Anybody that can work inside on a medium or large field can work a 60' diamond from the inside and stay out of both the players' and the balls' way.

BTW, the answer is U3, even from the outside.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well I don't work much 3 man 60 foot bases, but I would think U2 has the best look at a tag by F4 and can still make the call at 1B on the throw. U3, who is in on the edge of the grass between 2B and F6 is not in the best position.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
This is why more and more LL umpires are working inside these days, in an official position named "B2." B2 is right where U2 works in big field 4-man, on the 2nd base side on the edge of the infield grass. From this position, he can see R1 and R3 leave early, and only sacrifices the view of R2. The argument that this puts the BU in the way, or that he will get hit is a very weak one. Anybody that can work inside on a medium or large field can work a 60' diamond from the inside and stay out of both the players' and the balls' way.

BTW, the answer is U3, even from the outside.
I have no argument with the merits of what you are calling B2, and what the inventor of the mechanic, Dave Davies, calls "the pinch." I do, however, disagree with your contention that "more and more LL umpires are working inside these days." That's true only if you believe southern California is the center of the universe. For a variety of reasons, the official powers in LL, who dictate what mechanics are taught and/or allowed in the "big" games, have consciously and aggressively rejected the concept of working the pinch.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 01:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
I have no argument with the merits of what you are calling B2, and what the inventor of the mechanic, Dave Davies, calls "the pinch." I do, however, disagree with your contention that "more and more LL umpires are working inside these days." That's true only if you believe southern California is the center of the universe. For a variety of reasons, the official powers in LL, who dictate what mechanics are taught and/or allowed in the "big" games, have consciously and aggressively rejected the concept of working the pinch.
I am sorry. I should have said "here in Southern California, The Center of The Baseball Universe ™ , most umpires (non-Little League volunteer types) work on the inside, even though we don't work Little League's "big" games. I have worked LL games with umpires who work outside, and that's fine with me. It's just that the vast majority of my partners, as well as myself, work the inside position, without any problems at all.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

In LL there just isn't enough room to manuevere. Ground ball hit to SS and you are in C on the inside, you have almost no time to move out of the way of a throw from F6 to whereever the heck he wants to end up throwing the ball.

Everything just happens too quick in LL. Part of the reason I think it makes me a better umpire. Anticipate Anticipate Anticipate, thats the name of the game when it comes to working LL bases. Alot of it, the mental side of it anyway, can transfer to the big field.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 02:36am

I've never had a problem working the inside, and I have done so in every small diamond game I have ever worked. When a ball is hit to F6, you must react either by moving in or staying where you are. Besides, I was talking about B2, which is on the 1st base side of 2nd base, not in C. I work both B and C on the inside, just as on a big field without difficulty. We often work Mustang League games, which are played on a 60' diamond. These are usually much higher quality than a Majors game, plus they play real baseball, so the inside mechanic is the only one that makes sense (for steals, pick-offs, balks, etc.).
I have worked many more Mustang games than LL games over the years, so it is natural for me to be in the middle, even for LL.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I've never had a problem working the inside, and I have done so in every small diamond game I have ever worked. When a ball is hit to F6, you must react either by moving in or staying where you are. Besides, I was talking about B2, which is on the 1st base side of 2nd base, not in C. I work both B and C on the inside, just as on a big field without difficulty. We often work Mustang League games, which are played on a 60' diamond. These are usually much higher quality than a Majors game, plus they play real baseball, so the inside mechanic is the only one that makes sense (for steals, pick-offs, balks, etc.).
I have worked many more Mustang games than LL games over the years, so it is natural for me to be in the middle, even for LL.
So how do you enforce 7.13 on R2? The honor system?
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
So how do you enforce 7.13 on R2? The honor system?
Here's what you buy...

Also protects you from any lined shots, as you are now working about 20 feet closer to the batter, and hence, probably about ∞ times more likely to get hit.

Last edited by TussAgee11; Fri Jul 14, 2006 at 11:55pm.