The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Mechanics

Hey as I have said before i am just getting into this. I have seen so many diffrent ways of calling strikes. If you could please tell me how you do it. Also strike 3. Please explain what you are doing not just terms for it. Yes I need baby steps please like first do this next do this and finnaly do this.
thanks
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
When I call strikes, I point to the right with my right index finger. I do this whether the batter is left handed or right handed.

When calling the 3rd strike, I bring the right fist foward, and the pull back while bringin my left fist forward. Basically, doing a bow and arrow mechanic.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:46pm

Fonz,

Called strikes (first and second strikes): I watch the pitch all the way to the mitt. I then call it to myself. This gives me 2 things, a confirmation of what I just saw, and proper timing. You don't want to jump up and call "Strike" the second the catcher catches the ball. You don't have to be ridiculously slow either. See the pitch to the mitt, call it in your own mind, then you are ready to perform the call itself.

At this point, I stand up out of my stance (let's say a basic heel/toe crouching style) and move my right leg closer to my left leg to about shoulder width and point to the right with my right index finger. Some guys like the "hammer" and just come up with their fist closed, but I prefer to point to the right. Some point to the left for left handed batters, but I go to the right for everyone. I also make my verbal call at the same time as I do the mechanic. Many umpires like to call the pitch when they are still in their stance, and then stand up to signal. The point is that everybody has their own style, and you will find the one that is comfortable for you.

As well as many ways to signal a strike, there are just as many different ways of saying a strike. Some guys yell "Strike" and some like "Steeeee" or "Sti". Since about my second season, I have preferred to say "Ha" which is very popular. I say it very loud, and often I will hear a youngster nearby imitate the call, and I guess that's the most sincere form of flattery, so I've heard. Again, experiment in your living room with different calls until you come up with one you really like.

Swinging strikes (1 and 2): A very non-chalant point to the side or "hammer" out signal (Whichever you like). Don't be in a big hurry to signal, since everyone in the place sees that it is a strike.

Swinging strike 3: I prefer a solid hammer, but no rush on the call here either. If it is an uncaught 3rd strike with less than 2 outs and 1st base open, or with 2 outs, the runner can run to first and must be either tagged or thrown out at 1st base. On these, I signal with an emphatic double point and say "no catch" if it is not obvious to all. There are threads in which this is discussed at length, so just use the search function.

Strike 3 called: The most exciting of all strike calls. Time to show a little flair. It doesn't need to be ostentatious like Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun, but should stand out and really sell the call. I use the "pull the chain" or "chainsaw" style. If nobody is on base, I turn to the right and do it, and if there are runners, I do not turn, instead I do it facing forward. I say "Haaaaa" even louder and longer, and then stand and extend my right arm forward and yank it back while extending my left arm and fist forward. I try to throw in a little Frank Pulli footwork, kind of a quick Ali Shuffle type thing. HTBT!!

I'm not writing a book here, but you get the general idea. Watch a lot of MLB games and watch the umpires intently, and not just the players. Watch the timing that they use, not only when working the plate, but on the bases as well. Slower is always better than faster, as it gives you just a bit more time to review the pitch or play in your head, giving you a better chance of getting the call right.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 04, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

• called first and second strike: i use the hammer and verbalize the strike
  • swinging first and second strike: point to the right, head doesnt move
  • called third strike: right hand flat (palm down) straight in front of me, then i rip it back and punch forward with my left hand, and verbalize 'strike three'.
  • swinging caught third strike: point to left, followed by hammer out signal and verbalize 'out'
  • swinging uncaught third strike: i take a step to my side and point with my left hand down towards the catcher, verbalize 'no catch', and point to my right while still keeping my eyes on the play. ive become better this season with this, from all of the discussion that came from the doug eddings situation
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Interesting,

" . . . swinging caught third strike: point to left, followed by hammer out signal and verbalize 'out' . . ."

I cannot say that I have ever, or would ever, verbalize "out" on a swinging strike three.

Your mileage may very.

Regards,
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
" . . . swinging caught third strike: point to left, followed by hammer out signal and verbalize 'out' . . ."

I cannot say that I have ever, or would ever, verbalize "out" on a swinging strike three.

Your mileage may very.

Regards,
It was bound to happen that we would agree on something!

I say "strike.......... three". Mik Hendrickson, ex pro umpire, and current PAC-10 umpire who does the training in our local college association tries to get guys to NOT even say "strike three", but rather just "strike", but to use a different mechanic for strike three.

fonz, there are already some good descriptives on how to do the mechanic, so I don't need to offer any more on that. What I will add is that you should really practice in front of a mirror. Look to make your signals crisp, smooth, athletic, and authorative. I give this advice to umpires that I mentor, and you can tell the difference between the guys that actually do this and the ones that don't. The ones that don't usually have sloppy looking mechanics, and are usually too "laid back", and don't look very authorative.

You need to watch other umpires do this, and figure out which style YOU want to try. But, be willing to try the one that looks best on YOU. There is nothing worse than an umpire that could look great doing a hammer, but goes out to the side, and vice versa. Generally speaking (and this is really just the way I see it....nothing more), I think shorter/stockier umpires look best doing the hammer, while taller/lankier umpire look better going out to the side. This sort of coincides with stance too though. Taller guys generally NEED to work out of the scissors, and certainly, if you work out of the scissors, you will always look better calling a strike pointing out to the side. Shorter guys generally work in the box stance, and I really think the "hammer" looks best out of the box stance.

Be willing to try both ways. Be honest with yourself on how each looks, and also get some opinions from other umpires who you respect the opinions of (and trust me, you SHOULD NOT TRUST the opinion of every umpire!!!).

Good luck.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree.

I like the Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Mostly good advice here. I agree, calling balls and strikes takes practice and you'll eventually develop your own style. Do what you're comfortable with.

Timing is the real key. Don't be in a hurry. It was mentioned earlier - see the pitch, see it again in your mind, then announce the pitch. It will give you time to see those close ones again.

Also, in addition to practicing in front of a mirror (wait til the wife isn't home!) I'd suggest trying to find someone to run a video camera so you can review the film. Often time what we think we're doing looks totally different when we get to see it.

HRIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Hey as I have said before i am just getting into this. I have seen so many diffrent ways of calling strikes. If you could please tell me how you do it. Also strike 3. Please explain what you are doing not just terms for it. Yes I need baby steps please like first do this next do this and finnaly do this.
thanks

Since you are a basketball official I will assume (hate to do that) that you had to attend some form of field clinic plus classroom work as well for the rules.

In addition, basketball akin to baseball has different rules depending upon what league you officate in.

Baseball in that regard is no different. Therefore, I recommend that you attend some sort of field clinic. As a member of a HS association, your dues will cover the Rule / Case book for FED rules. You can purchase the OBR (Official Baseball Rules) Rule-book on line. I also recommend you purchase add'l materials such as Carl Childress's BRD (Baseball Rule Differences).

Do not worry about the strike mechanic or strike 3 mechanic as that will come with experience. There are various plate stances that are recommended. The most notable is the "slot" but there is also the "scizzors" and to al lessor degree the Knee. In addition there is also the new Gerry Davis Stance. When you attend a clinic they go all of them. Try each one and see which works best for you. Being young the "slot" will probably be your best bet.

No need to verbalize when a player strikes out by swinging. He/She along with everyone else knows they K'd so you do not need to add insult to injury. The important issue is to develop proper timing when calling balls / strikes.

Now as with most things in life you can read/study all day long but it's nothing like "the real deal". In that regard if possible try and seek the guidence of a mentor. One who can come to most of your games and give you an honest critique. IMO, at least for me was the most important part of my development.

When I first started, I kept a note-book meaning after each game I would critique myself. In addition, when one of those "weird type" plays comes up I would research so that I knew it the next time. By wierd type I mean CI (Catcher's Interference) followed by a play which is something you do not see on a regular basis.

ADVICE: Do not know about your area, but you might get paired up with some "old vets" that are set in their ways, therefore, during your pre-game simply find out what they are going to do so that you know what you have to do.

Example: When I started I worked with a old vet. He had the plate that day and said to me "Son I have HOME PLATE" meaning do not expect help on bases one through 3.

Summary: Treat Officiating baseball for the first time similar to when you first started officiating basketball. Clincs and rules are a must

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 01:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Hey Blue, what's the count?

Two balls and two haaaaaaas.............
Many pro umpires use the "Haaaaa" for their called strikes. I'm not sure how many "a's" to put in. I guess that's a matter of personal preference.

PWL, you should watch a pro game once in a while. You'd be surprised what you might learn.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 03:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

As well as many ways to signal a strike, there are just as many different ways of saying a strike. Some guys yell "Strike" and some like "Steeeee" or "Sti". Since about my second season, I have preferred to say "Ha" which is very popular.

Steve
I prefer to say "HIKE" instead of strike...it sounds just like "STRIKE" but more articulate...you can still say it with authority instead of screaming a sound versus a word. Again, just a preference.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
There are several reasons why you would say "Haaaaaaa", or "Hike", instead of "Strike".
  1. 'Strike' is harder on the vocal cords, at loud volumes, than the other words.
  2. If you wear a Mask, instead of an HSM, the jaw movement required to say Strike is difficult, unless your mask is ridiculously loose.
  3. You were a really bad Ventriloquist in a previous life.
I don't think anybody cares what you say, as long as they know it's a strike (when it actually is).

Nick
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Now it's more difficult to speak in a traditional mask than a HSM! Oh brother! Nick, we get it! YOU love the HSM!
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
Now it's more difficult to speak in a traditional mask than a HSM! Oh brother! Nick, we get it! YOU love the HSM!

It heals troubled marriages, also
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
It heals troubled marriages, also
Another reason against them.