The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Hey Everyone,

Im currently enrolled in a Varsity Official training program through the CEJBO - Central East Jersey Basketball Org.

I was told by a last year cadet that the course went over mechanics of a one man game... I.e. positions, what to look for etc...

Can anyone give me help on how I should run a one-man game.

I have been officiating for a rec league in town where there is usually only one ref. But for the past 3 years I found myself running baseline to baseline sometimes... (i know, i know - - wrong) So any tips could help...

Thanks
Pat
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I have seen and done this a couple of different ways. I like what the Jr NBA has to say. This comes from http://www.nba.com/jrnba/officials/o...section13.html if you want to read the whole thing. They basically say:

The best position is to work from one free-throw line extended to the other free-throw line extended, across the floor from the scorer's table.

Do not get caught on the endline

Get the players to help you on out-of-bounds calls.

Don't guess. Admit you can't see everything.

Click the link or cut and paste. Very good ideas.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I've never had to do an entire game myself, but I would say work the C as in 3 man. The most important mechanic would be to find out why in the hedoublehockeysticks you're working alone.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

FT line to FT line, if you can, crossover (that lets you see the same right or left side at both ends). For OOB plays, give the in-bounder the ball but stipulate play begins on your whistle.

1 man is almost impossible in a competitive league. Use T often and be ready to suspend the game (which essentially ends the game).

I quit men's league except as a rare favor.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Put yourself where you can get the best angle on the low post. Sometimes, especially if you're working with older more skilled players, you'll end up on the endline a lot.

Otherwise, I prefer to be in from the sideline and above where the fte would cross the 3-point line. If the players are staying pretty spread out over the floor you can be further out, but generally, right in the thick of things is a better angle, I find. With little kids, it's a pretty cadillac position. With older players, about JV and up, you have to dance back and forth to the sideline and then in again. Or down to the endline and then back up. Work your little heiney off (or big heiney, as the case may be), and you'll be rewarded.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Call all the players together and let 'em know that you're going to miss some stuff because you're working alone. Ask them to be understanding and honest about OOB calls that you can't see. Tell 'em that anything you miss and they don't agree on will go to AP.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I generally go top of the key to top of the key to keep as wide an angle as possible, usually on side away from table..step down on a shot....make all throw-ins on the sideline, except after a made basket. If there is a quick transition... stop...let the players run around you, then catch up to the play, or else you'll trample someone, or they will trample you.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Work the arch like a trail.

When the ball is away from you or in the post you need to be higher and out on the floor, otherwise you'll have another player step in your sight line or you'll be in a stack when the play is in the post.

FT line extended to middle of the court between the 3 PT line and center circle, has worked best for me.

Move a lot and adjust, and back up to the side line and let the players pass you in transition.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
If there is a quick transition... stop...let the players run around you, then catch up to the play, or else you'll trample someone, or they will trample you.
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Move a lot and adjust, and back up to the side line and let the players pass you in transition.
Both great points.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no such thing as one man mechanics. You do whatever you feel is best to watch the game. I am not an advocate of any one system. You should not be put in that situations and whatever you do should work for anyone watching the game.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

LIke has been mentioned Top of key to top of key, But you may want to work table side. That way you are calliong from about the same position and view that coaches have...
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Only done this a couple of times when a partner was a no show or showed up 1/2 hour late. I would only attempt it in Frosh or lower. I worked it like the trail in a 2 man crew and always try to stay opposite table. I made no beans that I wouldn't get everything and I wasn't going to put up with any whining. One game I had the Asst coaches stand at opposite corners of the gym, like volleyball linesmen, for OOB ONLY until my partner arrived.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. My local rec league was the one that didnt want to spend the $10 per game for officials for a 5-6th grade boys game......

Thanks - Pat
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
Thanks. My local rec league was the one that didnt want to spend the $10 per game for officials for a 5-6th grade boys game......

Thanks - Pat
\

For young kids, it's actually a great exercise to work alone. If they are short enough and you're tall enough that you can see over them, you won't miss much, and you get to learn to "see the whole floor". Unless the kids get completely out of control in their attitudes, you will have no trouble keeping things in line, and you'll get a lot of credit. Even with kids this young, you still have to work your butt off.