The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

I am a stranger in a foreign land.

I have done baseball for many years, but have never paid much attention to softball. Yesterday, after my game ended, I wandered over to the softball field where a friend of mine had a daughter playing for the home team.

The situation: Runners 1st and 2nd, no outs. The base ump was on the edge of the outfield grass between short and third. The batter made a pretty bunt down the first base line which was fielded by the pitcher and played to 1st. It was a banger and the base ump called her out (which was what I saw). The home team disagreed with the call and several of the fans and the coach made comments that it was the plate ump's call. I eased out while the discussion was going on.

In baseball, that call definitely belongs to the base ump. Is it different in softball?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

no different in softball - definitely base umps call.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Your are correct

Base ump has this call. Good Call
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
I am a stranger in a foreign land.

I have done baseball for many years, but have never paid much attention to softball. Yesterday, after my game ended, I wandered over to the softball field where a friend of mine had a daughter playing for the home team.

The situation: Runners 1st and 2nd, no outs. The base ump was on the edge of the outfield grass between short and third. The batter made a pretty bunt down the first base line which was fielded by the pitcher and played to 1st. It was a banger and the base ump called her out (which was what I saw). The home team disagreed with the call and several of the fans and the coach made comments that it was the plate ump's call. I eased out while the discussion was going on.

In baseball, that call definitely belongs to the base ump. Is it different in softball?
No different. The BU has the angle and is responsible for the first play on the infield.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Unless you're working one-person mechanics!

Then plate has everything!

This situation, BU has call.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
The home team disagreed with the call and several of the fans and the coach made comments that it was the plate ump's call. I eased out while the discussion was going on.

Wait a minute! You are basing your question on what the coaches and fans believe the mechanic to be?

As much as I no longer care for the little ball, you should really know better!!

Welcome to the board.

Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

base ujmpire's call. It would be the plate umpire's call if the base umpire pointed to him prior to making the call. HE would point if he was blocked from the play or maybe if the 1st. base foot was in question.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Please Identify yourself before......

Mr booker227 : Please identify yourself if we ever have the chance to work together. Especialy if it is a once in a season type of scheduling. I want to know when my partner is or might SURPRISE me with the mechanic of which you speak. I would never automatically point to my partner to make this call unless we work on a VERY regular basis. That call is the field umpires call. Safe or Out. Right or Wrong. If there is a possible problem let them appeal.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

--hearing about mechanics from the spectators
reminds me of a recent game where I'm
plate umpire (I work in the slot), and a
spectator was yelling at me to
"get behind the plate" to call balls and
strikes. I ignored him totally-never even
looked his way.
He stopped after a while, I wonder if someone
set him straight ?
Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Re: Please Identify yourself before......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Mr booker227 : Please identify yourself if we ever have the chance to work together. Especialy if it is a once in a season type of scheduling. I want to know when my partner is or might SURPRISE me with the mechanic of which you speak. I would never automatically point to my partner to make this call unless we work on a VERY regular basis. That call is the field umpires call. Safe or Out. Right or Wrong. If there is a possible problem let them appeal.
That goes for me as well. Not a good idea to put your partner on the spot when its your call.
What if, you being the BU had a PU point at you for strike/ball call after a pitch?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Yeah it is the BU call but if the BU thinks a throw may have pulled the baseman off first I see no harm in asking
" John did you have a pulled foot "
The answer comes back yes or no then you make your call .
Save yourself any hassels and this is what you will get if you "wait for the appeal " which there isnt.
Get all the information you can then make a call .
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
Yeah it is the BU call but if the BU thinks a throw may have pulled the baseman off first I see no harm in asking
" John did you have a pulled foot "
The answer comes back yes or no then you make your call .
Save yourself any hassels and this is what you will get if you "wait for the appeal " which there isnt.
Get all the information you can then make a call .
And while you and John are discussing the play, who is watching the plays on the other runners? You really don't think F3 is going to stand there holding the ball waiting on a final decision from you while runners are advancing, do you?

Sorry, but that play at 1B pales in importance compared to runners advancing toward home or 3B. Check after the play and if the call is reversed, make the necessary adjustments.

Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry misread the original .
The PU then moves towards 3 to make the call if needed .
My emphasis was more on get help before the coaches come at you .
In this case a call had to be made .
Sorry again Irishmafia
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with debeau.
On a possible pulled foot from the 'C' position, I check with my plate umpire to see if he/she has a 'foot'.
What if you, as the base umpire, call the out at first for the 3rd out of the inning, which causes all runners to stop their advancement.
After which you go to your partner and he/she now has a pulled foot. Now you have to put runners back on the bases and explain to the offensive coach that his runner from third didn't score on the because she failed to continue on after the third out call.
I've always found it better to get the play right the first time. In this situation, it is the base umpire's call on 'safe or out', but if he needs help to make that call, get it first before making any guess on the play.
If the plate umpire can't glance at first base at the moment of the catch, then he's not working hard enough.
But by all means, talk about this play in your pre-game.