Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
  • called first and second strike: i use the hammer and verbalize the strike
  • swinging first and second strike: point to the right, head doesnt move
  • called third strike: right hand flat (palm down) straight in front of me, then i rip it back and punch forward with my left hand, and verbalize 'strike three'.
  • swinging caught third strike: point to left, followed by hammer out signal and verbalize 'out'
  • swinging uncaught third strike: i take a step to my side and point with my left hand down towards the catcher, verbalize 'no catch', and point to my right while still keeping my eyes on the play. ive become better this season with this, from all of the discussion that came from the doug eddings situation
This one is the closest to what I do so I will start with it.[*]called first and second strike: I use the hammer out front and verbalize the strike[*]swinging first and second strike: I use the hammer out front and don't say anything[*]called third strike; fist toward the pitcher, pulled back as the left fist replaces the right, verbalizing "strike"[*]swinging caught third strike, a "little" hammer out front, no words[*]swinging uncaught third strike; a "little" hammer out front, and I say "no catch"[*]swinging uncaught third strike when there was an attempted check swing; I point to the batter with left hand, say "yes he went", followed by "no catch"
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I stopped using the 'hammer' at all, either for a swinging or called strike. It looks too much like you are calling an out, and ala Eddings, we know what that can do to an otherwise calm, well run game.

For all strikes, called or swinging, I use the point. On an uncaught third strike, I signal the swing with a point. If everyone is acting confused I will signal "no catch". I will not verbalize anything, and if the BR is tagged at the plate I will then signal an out with a hammer.

The only time I will verbalize, "batter is out" is on an uncaught third strike where the BR is not eligible to advance to 1st, and this is merely to avoid mass confusion on a grand scale.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.