The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hello All,

Now that he HS season is over in our area I am planning on making the jump to officiate club this year. This will be my 1st year of club ball after several years of HS Federation officiating. I have downloaded the NCAA/USAV/NFHS rules differences. This is nice, but I would like to hear from the veterans what the real differenc3s are. I am looking for practical knowledge, the real issues that I need to know about. Any practical knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Well, the big thing you'll notice is the signalling sequence; it goes "winning team, fault" instead of "fault, winning team." There is also no "point" signal; the R1, or 1st referee (no umpire in club, it's R2 or 2nd referee) uses the "side out" signal to signify which team has won the rally, then why.

Example: S4 hits a ball down onto R's court. Signal: "Sideout" S, then ball down.

Not sure if your state uses the libero yet, but make sure you're comfortable with all the libero do's and don'ts. Also understand that a ball that rolls along the body is much more likely to be considered "multple contacts" in USAV than it would be in NFHS, so make sure unless a ball is, in your opinion, caught or thrown, you are not making the "lift" signal. Also make sure you're distinguishing illegal contacts as doubles if that's what they are; don't use the "lift" signal on a 2nd ball that you would have let go on 1st; use the double contact signal.

There is also no provision in USAV for the "safe set" (set by back row attacker with ball totally above net height that is legally blocked is a back row attack in USAV). Contact below the waist is also completely legal, and you will see players intentionally kick a ball to prevent it from hitting the floor.

The back row block is totally different (and IMHO, better) in USAV, as it is *not* a fault for a back row player to attempt to block, only to complete one either by herself or as part of a collective block.

With the new FIVB modified rules, multiple subs are now handled differently. They should line up behind each other, then be administered one at a time.

That's all I can think of for now...the rest is pretty similar. Good luck!
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Felix,

Welcome to the forum!

Thankfully "you-know-who" hasn't found this one yet!

Tim
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 04:10am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Hey, Felix & Tim...good to see you here!!

Ditto about "you-know-who" and hopefully we can discuss rules and techniques without the nit-picking we endured.

CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)