View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Huh? What's the difference between:

"Any more from you coach and you're gone" and "That's the last I'll hear about the strike zone today,"
That's easy - one is a threat, the other is not. One is confrontational, the other is not. One is aggressive, the other is not.

Quote:
In both statements you're saying essentially the same thing - I've had enough. If you persist, you'll be ejected.
Bingo - you've made my point for me. Both of these say the same thing. And with either you get your point across. But in the first, you're being confrontational and aggressive. In the second, you're not being either. And the second is a much better game management technique.

Quote:
It's not making a threat; it's giving a warning. The key to being effective is (1) be clear in the warning, and (2) do what you say - if the coach doesn't heed the warning, dump him.
Agreed, sort of. The first is not a warning, it's a threat. If you believe otherwise, you're deluding yourself. The second is a warning. The first is puffy-chested overly emasculated "Do What I Say". The second is "Coach, you're about to cross the line." Big difference in perception, and big difference in the way it's taken.

I agree with your 2nd sentence here, and would add that the only thing worse than an aggressive, confrontational threat is one that is not followed up on. I can't tell you how often I've heard a younger umpire do this: "Coach, that's enough." Chirp Chirp. "Seriously coach, no more." Chirp Chirp. "Coach, one more word and you're gone." Chirp Chirp. "I'm serious coach - no more." Ad infinitum.

Warn once. Then when he ejects himself, you help him on his way.