Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
im sick of reading this ****.

all umpires suck at their jobs. we all suck to anyone else, so this isnt news. whens the last time the newspaper said "little timmy struck out 9 times in the double header, but the umpires called a great game. that plate umpire had his eyes right on the outside corner every single pitch. the calls couldnt be made any better by a computer or robot."

Who's forcing you to read and comment?
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I went to my first MiLB games since the strike ended (AA, Akron). I noticed the difference in mechanics from the replacement umpires, as well as the average age, body weight, and all that stems from those. I'm not sure that the calls were any better, but the umps were in better position and were "crisper" (not "crispier").

The PU (according to the box score, John Tumpane) seemed to call the zone very tight, and this was in a game that was scoreless into the 10th. Strange combination, but he didn't seem to take any heat from the players (esp. the pitchers).

I heard the last inning on the radio, where the announcer said more than once "no way that pitch was a strike." I'm not inclined to give his opinion much weight, however.

The crew called one balk during the game: R1, R2, stealing on the pitch. F1 starts his motion, sees the steal, and wheels to throw to third. BALK! Good call, and easy, and, happily, on Altoona.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Who's forcing you to read and comment?
sorry, i forgot that the internet carries the old saying: "if you dont have something nice to say, dont say it at all"

displeasure isnt appreciated around here i guess. sorry for bringing you down guys...
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, grow up...my comment was straight forward and rooted in most conventional social behavior. No one is forcing you to read the post - clearly labeled as another slight agianst the AMLU gang. Further, no one is expecting you to comment. There are plenty of other threads that may pique your interest. If not, please don't presume to tell us that we should move on because you are irritated, bored or dismayed at the dialogue.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
"You're terrible," Eymann said he told Alper, who apparently didn't want anybody in the game who felt that way.
So, apparently, this staff writer feels that this statement shouldn't have led to the player's ejection? Is there anyone here who wouldn't have tossed this guy?
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
SCUMP, WWTB, Lawyer,

Didn't we just go over this?

Please, in the name of all that's holy, can't we smokem peace pipe?
I'm all for that. I haven't started one- count it- ONE thread with the theme that the AMLU sucked or that the replacements were awful. I have argued for AMLU and against the replacements in other threads on this board.

But if you follow my posts (and I know there is at least one dude out there who does), you know that I have been calling for the end of this argument since the strike was settled.

Some people simply will not let it go.

Strikes and outs!
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 09:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpumpire
So, apparently, this staff writer feels that this statement shouldn't have led to the player's ejection? Is there anyone here who wouldn't have tossed this guy?
I can only think of one person who might not toss him, and I think even he would pull the trigger on this one. I'm just kidding, okay. Don't get mad.

But I digress.....

This staff writer is not a very good one, since he did not identify Alper prior to the quote you posted. A good writer would have mentioned him by first and last name in an earlier reference, so that when he wrote of the ejection, we would have some clue as to who this "Alper" person even was.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

For ME, commenting on these kinds of articles are very much akin to spearing fish in a bathtub.

Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
I'm all for that. I haven't started one- count it- ONE thread with the theme that the AMLU sucked or that the replacements were awful. I have argued for AMLU and against the replacements in other threads on this board.

But if you follow my posts (and I know there is at least one dude out there who does), you know that I have been calling for the end of this argument since the strike was settled.

Some people simply will not let it go.

Strikes and outs!

Yet...you pepetuate it by restating your opinion. The answer is easy; don't comment on things that get your dander up.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yet...you pepetuate it by restating your opinion. The answer is easy; don't comment on things that get your dander up.
AMEN!!!!!!
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Amen= the end

PDX, WWTB, I have a proposition for you.

I won't comment on AMLU issues anymore if you don't. Deal?

Strikes and outs!
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
PDX, WWTB, I have a proposition for you.

I won't comment on AMLU issues anymore if you don't. Deal?

Strikes and outs!
No, I got another month or so to settle the score!

Again, you must suck as a lawyer. A GOOD lawyer would have offered ME something to settle.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

My legal skills

(a) I did offer you something to settle. Something invaluable, in fact- MY SILENCE. How many times in your life do you get the opportunity to shut a lawyer up?

(b) My skills in the courtroom and at the negotiating table are at least on par with my skills as an umpire- take whatever you will away from that last statement. I will say that David E. Kelley has done as much for the legal profession and the public's expectations of what I can do as Timmy McCarver has done for umpires.

Objection! Sustained.

oops. Wrong board.

Strikes and outs!
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I have no axe to grind with you, B.L.

However, your barter is of little consequence to the matter at hand. The AMLU continues to mock and threaten the amateur umpire. I have been contacted by two (one was my former student) who worked as replacements. They have both been told that they are marked men. Since one still aspires to pro ball, he has much to worry about. He planned to reattend Evans in hopes of making it next Winter. He was warned that this would be a waste of his time and money by a couple of the guys who work as AMLU instructors there. That is my fight.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I have no axe to grind with you, B.L.

However, your barter is of little consequence to the matter at hand. The AMLU continues to mock and threaten the amateur umpire. I have been contacted by two (one was my former student) who worked as replacements. They have both been told that they are marked men. Since one still aspires to pro ball, he has much to worry about. He planned to reattend Evans in hopes of making it next Winter. He was warned that this would be a waste of his time and money by a couple of the guys who work as AMLU instructors there. That is my fight.
Would it be any different than say the construction industry? Union goes on strike & a group of handymen go in & work on the building until the strike is resolved.

What reception do you think one of them would have should they apply for the union training program six months later?

You guys were pawns, caught between greedy owners and a short-sighted union. Any way you look at it, no one is going to respect you come morning.