The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

First OT, .4 left. Dayton lob pass to the middle of the lane, appears as if the defender has ahold of the Dayton player's left arm and then proceeds to hack the offensive player's right arm as he attempts a tap to win the game. End result, no call and the game goes to double overtime.

Anyone else stay up late enough to see it? Thoughts?

I felt like there could/should have been a call. I understand not wanting to "decide the outcome of the game" but I think I could have slept at night after making that call.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
First OT, .4 left. Dayton lob pass to the middle of the lane, appears as if the defender has ahold of the Dayton player's left arm and then proceeds to hack the offensive player's right arm as he attempts a tap to win the game. End result, no call and the game goes to double overtime.

Anyone else stay up late enough to see it? Thoughts?

I felt like there could/should have been a call. I understand not wanting to "decide the outcome of the game" but I think I could have slept at night after making that call.
I thought it was a good no call. YMMV.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the officials in this game did a great job.

And that was a great no call.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I thought the officials did a nice job as well all the way around in this game. Especially, on the call at the end of the first overtime with .4 seconds to go. Yes, in true definition of a foul, there was a foul. However, in that circumstance right there, that is a good no call.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Good no call. 2 guys going up together in an attempt to tap the ball, one toward the basket and the other away from it. That's the explanation to give to the coach.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

At first, I thought it was a foul.

Then I realized the contact was after the tap, no one was hurt, and no advantage was gained (couldn't be a rebound on that shot).

Jim Burr got it right with less than half a second to think it over.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 12:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Then I realized the contact was after the tap, no one was hurt, and no advantage was gained (couldn't be a rebound on that shot).

I believe that contact was there before the tip, and was maintained throughout the tip. There was an advantage gained - the defense gained an advantage by illegally contacting an opponent, who became a shooter. Do I think the shot was affected? Can't say from the TV angle. The possible absense of a rebound means nothing, in my mind, of whether a shooter was fouled or not. Say the contact was a little bit harder. There would still be no rebound, but you might call that foul.

I understand the philosophy of having a no-call, however, where do we draw the line? Do we allow the shooter to be clotheslined? Of course not. But Mr. Burr passed on the contact that surely would have been called at a different time in the game.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Exclamation Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I believe that contact was there before the tip, and was maintained throughout the tip. There was an advantage gained - the defense gained an advantage by illegally contacting an opponent, who became a shooter. Do I think the shot was affected? Can't say from the TV angle. The possible absense of a rebound means nothing, in my mind, of whether a shooter was fouled or not. Say the contact was a little bit harder. There would still be no rebound, but you might call that foul.

I understand the philosophy of having a no-call, however, where do we draw the line? Do we allow the shooter to be clotheslined? Of course not. But Mr. Burr passed on the contact that surely would have been called at a different time in the game.
Unlike many others in this thread, I think it should have been called a foul! As pointed out above, the defender DID gain an advantage by all the contact he initiated...THROUGHOUT THE PLAY! Sometimes we have to have the guts to no-call a close one...and sometimes we have to have the 'nads to make the call on a close one. I think someone should have had a call here!!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I believe that contact was there before the tip, and was maintained throughout the tip. There was an advantage gained - the defense gained an advantage by illegally contacting an opponent, who became a shooter. Do I think the shot was affected?
Mine are big enough to make that call, unless I was instructed otherwise.
...Heck, Dayton only had a 3:10 chance of making the free throw anyway.
mick

I had Dayton.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My husband thought it was a foul, I could see it going either way. I'd have called it, but I'm not a D1 ref, either! The angle from the TV camera was terrible. If it was a foul, there was advantage gained! ...like another overtime, instead of a loss. So I don't see that as a good reason for a no-call. But it was really hard to tell how much contact there really was, and when that contact occurred. So I'm willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I had a good no call on the hit on the tap, but a bad no call for the VERY OBVIOUS hold of the inside arm that kept the offensive player from getting two hands on the ball.
The Dayton player's entire left side barely left the floor , because the Depaul player locked down his inside arm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:30pm
Esteemed Participant

First instinct was it was a foul...after seeing replay, I understand why he passed...however, I was also wondering why Burr had the jump ball call on Depaul's end a little earlier. Defender slaps ball as shooter goes up, ball comes out of shooter's hands and Dayton center grabs ball out of the air...whistle, held ball, possession arrow to Depaul, they end up scoring to keep game tied...ouch.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I believe that contact was there before the tip, and was maintained throughout the tip. There was an advantage gained - the defense gained an advantage by illegally contacting an opponent, who became a shooter. Do I think the shot was affected?
...Heck, Dayton only had a 3:10 chance of making the free throw anyway.
mick

Good point...no sense embarrasing the kid on national TV.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

If he sucked his whistle because of the time left, I think that's wrong. If he didn't think it was worthy of a foul (regardless of time), no problem.

Why penalize a team just because of when the foul happened? Doesn't that go against the whole intent of fair play and being consistent from beginning to end?

I called a foul at the state tournament with a couple seconds left in a barn-burner game and all my evals said, "good job stepping up and making the tough call at the end of the game." I possibly could have passed on it without getting hung after the game, but it was consistent with what we had called the rest of the game. Of course, we all know that there are many differences in philosophy between high school and college.

I would have a hard time working for an assignor who wanted a foul in the closing seconds to have to be harder than a foul at any other point in the game.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Mar 19th, 2004 at 01:54 PM]
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 03:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
If he sucked his whistle because of the time left, I think that's wrong. If he didn't think it was worthy of a foul (regardless of time), no problem.

Why penalize a team just because of when the foul happened? Doesn't that go against the whole intent of fair play and being consistent from beginning to end?

I called a foul at the state tournament with a couple seconds left in a barn-burner game and all my evals said, "good job stepping up and making the tough call at the end of the game." I possibly could have passed on it without getting hung after the game, but it was consistent with what we had called the rest of the game. Of course, we all know that there are many differences in philosophy between high school and college.

I would have a hard time working for an assignor who wanted a foul in the closing seconds to have to be harder than a foul at any other point in the game.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Mar 19th, 2004 at 01:54 PM]
I don't think that was a foul at the D-I level at any time in the game. I'm not penalizing players for going after a loose ball.

But the time definitely was a factor. Would Dayton have tried to rush and tip that ball if there was more time on the clock?