The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:51pm

Ozzie Guillen's so-called apology

I am a big White Sox fan, but I have lost any respect I had for Ozzie Guillen.

I am not upset for the reason the media pundits are crying about, that he used a sexual slur against Jay Marriotti and offended homosexuals. I couldn't care less if gay folks get offended by the word "fag." For cryin' out loud, they call each other "queen" and "girl" and many other names, including "fag." Nobody gets upset at that word if they are truly gay.

It isn't the gay people that Ozzie should apologize to in the first place. I say that he should directly apologize to Jay Marriotti for calling him a fag!

Ozzie's lame "sorry if I offended anybody" style half-hearted apology is going to fall on deaf ears anyway, and I would be offended if a major league manager called me a homosexual. What, Ozzie's all of a sudden an authority on Marriotti's sexual preference? Hardly.

The media's take on this doesn't surprise me at all. They completely miss the point, as usual. The offended party here is Jay Marriotti, who is himself a troublemaker, but not deserving of being labeled as gay by the classless Guillen.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

hes a joke and i cant wait till he gets the boot. enough said.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
I agree,but the white sox like him to much so it probably wont happen...

Then again,you never know.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's funny what happens with time...

...just a few short years ago, Phil Jackson was the toast of the town.

...Dusty could do no wrong.

...Dave Wannstedt was thought of as a defensive genius.

...Ozzie was an average player that no one could understand.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

The White Sox getting rid of Ozzie for a comment is about as likely as a walk off home run hitter missing a touch.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What upsets me is Reinsdorfs(sp?) lack of action on the homophobic comments Guillen directed at Jay Mariotti. He was one of the main players in the witch hunt against Marge Schott when she made racial comments about her players. What a hypocrite.

Tim.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Nobody gets upset at that word if they are truly gay.
I'd say that's terribly uninformed as a gay man (leader of some local gay pride/rights chapter) was on WGN news last night saying he and many of his friends were offended. (Although, I don't know if he was "truly" gay).

While I myself can't speak on this as a gay man (being happily married to a beautiful GRIT (girl raised in the south) with two kids), my wife and I have several gay friends who would be offended by being called a "fag".

I am glad, however, that you can speak for the entire gay community.

As an aside (and I admit my memory may be fuzzy...so I could be wrong) but didn't you a month or two ago take a poster to task for making a comment derogatory about overweight people or overweight umpires? (I admit my memory may be wrong). Just wondering.

Last edited by lawump; Fri Jun 23, 2006 at 09:25am.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I'd say that's terribly uninformed as a gay man (leader of some local gay pride/rights chapter) was on WGN news last night saying he and many of his friends were offended. (Although, I don't know if he was "truly" gay).

While I myself can't speak on this as a gay man (being happily married to a beautiful GRIT (girl raised in the south) with two kids), my wife and I have several gay friends who would be offended by being called a "fag".

I am glad, however, that you can speak for the entire gay community.

As an aside (and I admit my memory may be fuzzy...so I could be wrong) but didn't you a month or two ago take a poster to task for making a comment derogatory about overweight people or overweight umpires? (I admit my memory may be wrong). Just wondering.
Well let's just say I have known many gay people in my years as a taxi driver in San Diego, as taxis are the preferred form of transportation to and from the many gay bars in the area. I know many personally, and have had many a carload of them, and trust me, the only reason they would be offended is for political purposes. In their real lives, they call each other every kind of name imaginable, and laugh their a$$es off about it. I am quite sure I know many more gay people than you do, so yes, I feel like somewhat of an authority.

Ever heard of Act Up? The militant gay political organization? Their slogan is "we're here, we're queer, and we're in your face!" Does this sound like people who are upset by the word fag?

All groups get offended all of a sudden when it gives them a political platform.

Yes, I got pissed when derogatory comments were made about fat people, because it is socially acceptable to make fun of fat people. You can't make racial or sexual slurs, but apparently it's always open season on fatties. Fat folks are constantly the butt of jokes. You don't hear too many people publicly telling gay or black jokes when gay or black people are right in front of them, but you can bash fat people right to their face. You can poke fun at them, and laugh your butt off about them while they are standing right there!

Just look at the mock outrage about Guillen's remarks. Do you think if he had called Mariotti "fat" that anyone would have gotten upset? Do you see the difference now?

So, I repeat....Ozzie owes the apology to Jay Mariotti, not the gay community. It was Mariotti who should feel offended.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Is Guillen so desperate for attention that he continues to have to make outrageous comments in the press like this? This is almost as bad as the crap spewing out of the mouths of the Dixie Chicks.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

is this a political forum there orioles35??????

BASEBALL...HOTDOGS......AND APPLE PIE......AND POLITICS????
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

In America, the only Unpardonable Sin (tm) is losing.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

During his apology, Guillen said that he had nothing against gay people and that he had gay friends, went to WNBA games and has gone to a Madonna concert.

I heard that on my way to work and I had to pull the car over I was laughing so hard.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I wonder what Guillen would say if Marriotti called him a "dirty spic."

Tim.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Tim,

I would guess Ozzie would laugh.

Now, he should not have called Marriotti a "fag" - because he isn't. Besides, it's kind of insulting to British cigarettes. He should have called him a "spineless prick hack" - because he is.

As to your surprise regarding Mr. Reinsdorf's failure to publicly reprimand Ozzie, I can only assume you were unaware that Jerry absolutely detests Jay Marriotti - not without reason. I'm guessing that Jerry is secretly giving Ozzie a bonus that is at least double whatever the amount he was fined by MLB.

Of course, the absolutely "priceless" aspect of the whole situation is that Messrs. Selig and Watson have sentenced Ozzie to - get this - "sensitivity training"!! No, I am NOT making this up! You CAN'T make up stuff this good. Never realized Bud had a sense of humor.

JMO.

JM
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what the big deal is, after all 'fag' is in wikipedia.

Faggot (epithet) or fag, a generally pejorative term for a gay man, or for men who are judged to be "unmanly", weak or effeminate

Perhaps Ozzie just felt he was unmanly for not talking to him face to face.
Give the wetback a break!
Closed Thread