View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I'd say that's terribly uninformed as a gay man (leader of some local gay pride/rights chapter) was on WGN news last night saying he and many of his friends were offended. (Although, I don't know if he was "truly" gay).

While I myself can't speak on this as a gay man (being happily married to a beautiful GRIT (girl raised in the south) with two kids), my wife and I have several gay friends who would be offended by being called a "fag".

I am glad, however, that you can speak for the entire gay community.

As an aside (and I admit my memory may be fuzzy...so I could be wrong) but didn't you a month or two ago take a poster to task for making a comment derogatory about overweight people or overweight umpires? (I admit my memory may be wrong). Just wondering.
Well let's just say I have known many gay people in my years as a taxi driver in San Diego, as taxis are the preferred form of transportation to and from the many gay bars in the area. I know many personally, and have had many a carload of them, and trust me, the only reason they would be offended is for political purposes. In their real lives, they call each other every kind of name imaginable, and laugh their a$$es off about it. I am quite sure I know many more gay people than you do, so yes, I feel like somewhat of an authority.

Ever heard of Act Up? The militant gay political organization? Their slogan is "we're here, we're queer, and we're in your face!" Does this sound like people who are upset by the word fag?

All groups get offended all of a sudden when it gives them a political platform.

Yes, I got pissed when derogatory comments were made about fat people, because it is socially acceptable to make fun of fat people. You can't make racial or sexual slurs, but apparently it's always open season on fatties. Fat folks are constantly the butt of jokes. You don't hear too many people publicly telling gay or black jokes when gay or black people are right in front of them, but you can bash fat people right to their face. You can poke fun at them, and laugh your butt off about them while they are standing right there!

Just look at the mock outrage about Guillen's remarks. Do you think if he had called Mariotti "fat" that anyone would have gotten upset? Do you see the difference now?

So, I repeat....Ozzie owes the apology to Jay Mariotti, not the gay community. It was Mariotti who should feel offended.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25