The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:41pm
We don't rent pigs

I heard a little while ago that the NBA had issued an apology for the bad call on the shot clock violation that really shouldn't have been in the Lakers-Nuggets(?) game.
The only thing strange about the shot clock violation is that they do not routinely reset the clock when (insert your favorite superstar's name here) is the one to shoot the airball and thus ignore the violation like they do all other violations. Kobe drove the lane early in the game tonight and put in a nice shot with the left hand after an obvious foot shuffle which was noted both before and after the replay, much to no one's surprise. Earlier this week I heard an announcer note (happily?) how Lebron James was becoming a member of the no-call club. Highlight: Drive, hesitate, CARRY, penetrate into the lane, pivot, TRAVEL, finger roll, score. The skills of these players are certainly to be admired, but would they be less admirable if they were forced to play somewhat within the rules. The way I see it, the "tolerance" on violations has now trickled down through college and has a good foothold in high school, particularly in the bigger schools. And if all this was not enough, this fiasco Streetball on
ESPN adds even more fuel to the fire. Makes it much more difficult to explain to some 12 year old why the move that he practiced all week is very illegal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I heard a little while ago that the NBA had issued an apology for the bad call on the shot clock violation that really shouldn't have been in the Lakers-Nuggets(?) game.
The only thing strange about the shot clock violation is that they do not routinely reset the clock when (insert your favorite superstar's name here) is the one to shoot the airball and thus ignore the violation like they do all other violations. Kobe drove the lane early in the game tonight and put in a nice shot with the left hand after an obvious foot shuffle which was noted both before and after the replay, much to no one's surprise. Earlier this week I heard an announcer note (happily?) how Lebron James was becoming a member of the no-call club. Highlight: Drive, hesitate, CARRY, penetrate into the lane, pivot, TRAVEL, finger roll, score. The skills of these players are certainly to be admired, but would they be less admirable if they were forced to play somewhat within the rules. The way I see it, the "tolerance" on violations has now trickled down through college and has a good foothold in high school, particularly in the bigger schools. And if all this was not enough, this fiasco Streetball on
ESPN adds even more fuel to the fire. Makes it much more difficult to explain to some 12 year old why the move that he practiced all week is very illegal.
YAAAWWNNN.....
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:26am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Do you think that the NBA referees are purposefully not calling violations on fouls on certain players because they are stars?

We are all officials -- why do some high school and college officials berate those at the professional level. They devote more time and effort to their profession in a year than most do in their lifetimes.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 09:33am
BBallCoach

In response to the first post on here, I agree. Young impressionable players watch the NBA and assume hey Shaq can take five steps and score, why can't I. Or AI carries the ball but never gets called for it. I can not watch an NBA game anymore because it's not real basketball, it's pure entertainment. These players are not as fundamentally sound as they use to be and I feel the officiating has gotten awful to where calls are determined by who you are. I feel that you folks on here would do a much better job in the NBA officiating, but because you would probably treat all the NBA players the same you wouldnt last long, but hey at least you folks on here have standards.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
....I feel the officiating has gotten awful to where calls are determined by who you are.
Does this surprise anyone?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:16am
BBallCoach

These players are not as fundamentally sound as they use to be and I feel the officiating has gotten awful to where calls are determined by who you are. I feel that you folks on here would do a much better job in the NBA officiating, but because you would probably treat all the NBA players the same you wouldnt last long, but hey at least you folks on here have standards.

BktBallRef read the whole post I was not talking about you folks on this board but my opinion of NBA officials I even talked highly of you folks if you would read it.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

You're not convincing anyone. You have an incredibly low opinion of all officials.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:54am
BBallCoach

BktBall Ref

Ok,

Please point out to me in my post where I said something that was insulting about anyone on this board. I'm surprised I try to make a post that is positive and agrees with what another member posted and I still get whacked for it. It almost seems like Bktball ref your looking for something with me. If anyone else takes offense to my post my apologies, but could you please tell me why you do. Thank you very much
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA refs are the best basketball officials in the world. It's that simple. If you like to believe that they give preference to certain players--you are simply wrong. Obviously they make mistakes. Of course, they deal with players who are bigger, faster, and stronger than you can possibly imagin. And these officials devote more time and passion to officiating than anyone and are professionals whose integrity is beyond reproach. And yes, the NBA rules are different than they are in high school and college, which is why someone might think that certain plays are fouls or traveling violations. For example, when was the last time you saw an NBA coach complain about a travel? I think the interpretation of a travel is fairly well understood in the NBA.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: BktBall Ref

Quote:
Ok,

Please point out to me in my post where I said something that was insulting about anyone on this board. I'm surprised I try to make a post that is positive and agrees with what another member posted and I still get whacked for it. It almost seems like Bktball ref your looking for something with me. If anyone else takes offense to my post my apologies, but could you please tell me why you do. Thank you very much
BBallCoach -- The party line on this board regarding the NBA is that whether or not we agree with NBA rules and interps, the refs are the best in the world and earn deserve the respect of the rest of us. Some of us privately disagree about whether certain stars get preferential treatment, but we understand that if the NBA refs do give that treatment, it's only because they are instructed to do so, and that they are fair and consistent in how they do that. In other words, they are really high quality refs that are doing the best job possible in carrying out the rules and interps that they are responsible for. But that doesn't mean that we like or enjoy the NBA. It's just that we know the refs are terrific, even if we never want to be one of them.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:15pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

There shouldn't even be a discussion. The idea that some NBA officials give star players preferential treatment was dreamed up by a bunch of bitter 300 lb sports writers with nothing to talk about.

Let's face it, this is just about perception. What official has NOT been accused of cheating?!? I've had fans say that I must be from the other school's town, or I'm racist, homering, etc., etc. That doens't make it true.

How can officials at the high school and college level critique those working in the NBA -- let alone coaches and players?!? Do you really think that you have more officiating knowledge than the 60-odd NBA referees that sit through training meetings with Ed Rush and other past NBA officials, who watch and "break down" videotape of their games, who are critiqued at each and every game that they officiate?

Personally, I don't think that the NBA officials DON'T call traveling -- I think it's the other way around -- most high school and some college officials call traveling on plays that aren't even close.

If you've never blown a whistle you really have no idea what it's like to be out there making split-second decisions. And if you have only officiated high school you have NO idea how fast and good these players are.

Jont and Juulie have it right -- we need to stick together on this and not criticize each other. If instead of trying to learn from the best and getting better you would rather sit and criticize, you will always be "just another ref"
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 03:30pm
We don't rent pigs

The point of this thread was not to criticize the officiating, but I found it interesting that the NBA thought this mistake worthy of an apology. Now I see that an official has been suspended for it. Seems harsh to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 04:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
There shouldn't even be a discussion. The idea that some NBA officials give star players preferential treatment was dreamed up by a bunch of bitter 300 lb sports writers with nothing to talk about.

Let's face it, this is just about perception. What official has NOT been accused of cheating?!? I've had fans say that I must be from the other school's town, or I'm racist, homering, etc., etc. That doens't make it true.

How can officials at the high school and college level critique those working in the NBA -- let alone coaches and players?!? Do you really think that you have more officiating knowledge than the 60-odd NBA referees that sit through training meetings with Ed Rush and other past NBA officials, who watch and "break down" videotape of their games, who are critiqued at each and every game that they officiate?

Personally, I don't think that the NBA officials DON'T call traveling -- I think it's the other way around -- most high school and some college officials call traveling on plays that aren't even close.

If you've never blown a whistle you really have no idea what it's like to be out there making split-second decisions. And if you have only officiated high school you have NO idea how fast and good these players are.

Jont and Juulie have it right -- we need to stick together on this and not criticize each other. If instead of trying to learn from the best and getting better you would rather sit and criticize, you will always be "just another ref"
I worked some high school games this season where partners whistle traveling in or near my primary where I wonder:

(1) Why the he11 was he looking there?

and

(2) How can there be a travel when the pivot foot doesn't move?

I'm with Brad, I think there's too much traveling called by officials who don't understand the rule.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: BktBall Ref

Quote:
Ok,

Ugh!
Coach, you impugned (that means maligned) the integrity of NBA officials, saying they play favorites. You don't know if anyone on this board happens to be an NBA ref. Beyond that, you need not insult a member of this board to draw the ire of some officials. We couldn't care less if the officials in question are on this board, for one. Officials are officials, and we all take exception to any insinuation of systemic impropriety.

Adam
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

lighten up

Interesting thread.

Here's my opinion.

Ever since we were wee-referee's, we have been trained to do everything by the book. This eliminates alot of gray area, but games would take as long as a baseball game. This also reduces the career of officials, because the powers that be don't appreciate the game being stopped on every possession.

As we move along the path of referee life, we are then encouraged to make decisions using advantage/disadvantage. This is when we let some of the traveling violations go when 'little Johnny/Suzie' shuffles their feet at the top of the key with no real defensive pressure. Rather than call this minor transgression, we play on.

There is a book (the title escapes me) out there written by Earl Strom in which the NBA makes it clear that the people paying the bills don't come to the games to watch the referees call alot of the irrelevant fouls/violations. Given the popularity and money involved, the mandate came down that there is 'star treatment.' Unfortunately, players, fans, and coaches have picked up on this and consider themselves 'equals.' Here lies the problem.

I cannot watch NBA games for various reason, but the biggest is that you can pretty much script every game, with the results in doubt until the last 4 minutes of the game.

Hope you all enjoyed my ramblings.

BBallCoach, I appreciate your attempt to find more constructive ways to particpate in this forum. For me, your slate is clean.