The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Plate Shoe Update Wanted

Now that the season is half over, I am wondering what the reports are regarding the New Balance 450 Plate Shoe. I have the Honigs Low Cut with about 300 games on them and have been thinking about buying a new pair (the Patent Leather ones look interesting), but the New Balance shoe looks great. I am not unhappy with the Honigs, just wanting some opinions. I do semi-pro, pro, summer college wooden bat leagues and College mainly so want good coverage. Thanks

Last edited by bcargnel; Sun Jun 18, 2006 at 09:39am.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Nice shoes

I looked at these close up at an NCAA rules clinic earlier this spring. My opinion... they are extreamly light! They seem to weigh only slightly more than a base shoe. As for protection, I don't know... they are similar in design to the spot-bilt u55 or the Nautalis shoes. I don't think there is as much protection as the traditional style shoes. I could most certainly be wrong.

The only things that have kept me from purchasing a pair is the buttons/rivits on the toe and the unknown protection factor.

How do umps out there like the spot-bilt and Nautalis shoes as far as protection?
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Stay away from the Spot Bilts! I just purchased a new pair this season to replace my old +POS and I'm sorry that I did. Here is a correspondence I had last week with Aaron from Honigs that explains why.

Aaron:

I wanted to drop you a short note about the Spot Bilt U56 plate shoes I purchased from you. Think of this as a "for your information" message. I have been extremely happy with both the look and the comfort of the shoes. However, tonight my overall opinion of the shoe has taken a downturn.

While working the plate in a 14U baseball game I took a fastball to the toe of the shoe. I'm not sure if the toe is broken, but it's sure messed up if it's not. It looks like I hit it with a hammer tonight. Hopefully I won't have to have it x-rayed tomorrow. I guess it's my fault, as I never thought to ask or even look to see if the shoe had a steele toe. I just assumed that it did. Other than that I'm still a pleased customer, and always will be.

Best regards,

Tim Haag
South Bend, IN

Tim,

Yes, we try to be careful to list them as “hard toe”, while our other styles specifically say “steel toe”.

That being said, we’ve had as many instances like this with steel toe models as we have with the Spot-Bilts. We’ve been assured by the company that they meet all the applicable safety standards, although you’re toe may take issue with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Aaron

I never even thought to check to see if they had a steele toe. Judging by the weight of the shoe I just assumed they did. I know, my bad.

Tim.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I switched from the Honig's Steel Toed High tops, to the Spot-Bilt Steel Toe High Tops (U56-1) two years ago, and I love them.

They are super light, very comfortable, and offer great protection all around.

Nick
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
I switched from the Honig's Steel Toed High tops, to the Spot-Bilt Steel Toe High Tops (U56-1) two years ago, and I love them.

They are super light, very comfortable, and offer great protection all around.
Who sells the U56-1, Nick? Mine are the U56 and they are not steele toed.

Tim.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still looking for a Spot Bilt shoe with the number one denoted after it's letter designation. I've found only U55, U56, and U57. None of which have a steele toe.

Tim.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Interesting, none of the write ups for the Spot Bilts say anything about having a steel toe. The GD, Honigs, and Riddell's all specifically say they have steel toes.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Interesting, none of the write ups for the Spot Bilts say anything about having a steel toe. The GD, Honigs, and Riddell's all specifically say they have steel toes.
None of the Spot Bilt plate shoes are steel toe, rather "thermoplastic." I dont see how the New Balance plate shoes offer less protection than a low top shoe.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Just from physical inspection, the plate on top doesn't appear to wrap around the foot as far as the traditional designs.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents:

The NB are just plain ugly. Frankenstein boots, if you ask me. Fine if you're working in a smelting plant, just not very classy on the field. (yes, I'm patent leather belt guy, and no, I don't have Honig's leather ball bags. THAT'S where I draw my line.)

Me, I've got +POS and GD patent leather shoes. The GD's really look sharp, but the interior lining is wearing through at the heals. The +POS don't have a lining, so that's one less thing to wear out. The patent leather sure is pretty, and a breeze to clean, but it's tougher to fix when scratched. Both have the same soles. I bought a pair of Honigs patent leather shoes for an Internet challenged friend, and I kinda like 'em. Light, shiney and well built.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

My question would be one of comfort. While I'm all for looking my best while on the diamond I think if they're more comfortable it's worth a little compromise. They really don't look all that bad do they?

Tim.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
This is the first photo I've seem of them-
They don't look too ugly- no more so than other boots I've encountered, but I'd be concerned about the sole.
It looks like a New Balance running shoe sole- not a lot of traction there, plus if you get a little bit of mud, those things will wad up, and you lose any benefit you had from the light weight.
I'll stick with my +POS shoes, but I'm sure there'll be a bunch of guys who'll go for these.

Bainer.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainer
This is the first photo I've seem of them-
They don't look too ugly- no more so than other boots I've encountered, but I'd be concerned about the sole.
It looks like a New Balance running shoe sole- not a lot of traction there, plus if you get a little bit of mud, those things will wad up, and you lose any benefit you had from the light weight.
I'll stick with my +POS shoes, but I'm sure there'll be a bunch of guys who'll go for these.

Bainer.
my +POS shoes are the absolute worst when the dirt turns to mud. they go from weighing a lot in the first place, to weighing twice as much. its pretty bad. id almost rather work barefoot and take a few off my toes than use +POS in the mud.

im probably getting these NB plate shoes once honigs gets them back in stock. i absolutely love my NB base shoes
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

If they're anywhere near as comfortable as the NB 350 base shoes they're worth it!

Tim.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2006, 10:54pm
M.A.S.H.

Brian,

Might try Between The Lines, http://www.btlofficialsgear.com , I believe they have them in stock and if they aren't cheaper, they'll price match whoever is.