The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Graduating to high school ball this year, and need to invest in a pair of 'real' plate shoes. Shopping around, I see many different styles as well as a huge price range. One that looks attractive is a low-cut Spotbilt with a removable metatarsal plate for use on the bases. Would appreciate anyone's opinion on their choice of shoe....
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 08:08pm
Michael Taylor

I have a buddy that has a pair and swears by them. I bought a pair, put them on once and sent them back. I didn't like the feel or the way the cover attaches. It didn't want to stay in place when it was on and looked horrible when it was off. It leaves an inch to inch and one half piece of velcro on the shoe.
I prefer the Hoenig low top. If you order it order a size small.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

MB,

I have that Spotbuilt shoe and really like it. What I did was remove the velcro and the metatarsal guard and I attached a metatarsal guard from Honig's to my shin guards. I have found them to be the most comfortable shoes once they were broken in AND, being ex-military, I can get them incredibly shiney. BTW, the holes left in the top of the shoes from the velcro are now filled in with black shoe polish.

I have to agree with Mr. Taylor about the way the metatarsal guard fits. It really was difficult to tie the shoe and keep it straight.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2003, 11:25am
Veteran College Umpire

I've used the +POS low top shoes since they were introduced.
I get about 3 years use out of a pair before I get new ones (just because I like "new), and though they are heavy they are very comfortable from the first time you put them on.

JJ
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Gerry Davis Palte Shoes

I use the Gerry Davis hi-top plate shoes. The are very comfortable and have a great amount of support for the feet and ankles. They look very sharp, and they hold a very good shine with any liquid shoe polish.

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I would second the post above. I've used the POS-Lows and the Honigs hi-tops and neither fit my feet very well. The GD's are comfortable and shine up just fine. I have no idea how their new shoes look as all models of GD's are patent leather this year. I'm a little skeptical of that.

Lawrence
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
Ive gone through 2 pairs of the "Davis" high tops and love 'em. I would not reccomend them, however, if you work the scissors.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Tannel

I have used the Tannel plate shoe for about 12 years and like them very much. They run large and have a generously wide forefoot. Good protection with a metatarsal plate that covers your foot well.

The greatest thing is the sole design (concentric circles of studs) that allows you to easily pivot. Additionally, this configuration makes for a great plate scraper - I keep a very clean plate but only bend over and use my brush occasionally. The configuration of the studs allows you to "brush" the plate off with your shoe sole.

It works very well and the shoes are comfortable. I havent compared them weight-wise.... they maybe a little heavy but I'm not sure - I'm 42 and still run pretty well so I don't find them heavy until about the fourth game in a single day. Thank-goodness that doesn't happen often - a lot of sunshine and a lot of concentration.
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Tannel

I have used the Tannel plate shoe for about 12 years and like them very much. They run large and have a generously wide forefoot. Good protection with a metatarsal plate that covers your foot well.

The greatest thing is the sole design (concentric circles of studs) that allows you to easily pivot. Additionally, this configuration makes for a great plate scraper - I keep a very clean plate but only bend over and use my brush occasionally. The configuration of the studs allows you to "brush" the plate off with your shoe sole.

It works very well and the shoes are comfortable. I havent compared them weight-wise.... they maybe a little heavy but I'm not sure - I'm 42 and still run pretty well so I don't find them heavy until about the fourth game in a single day. Thank-goodness that doesn't happen often - a lot of sunshine and a lot of concentration.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
You should always use your brush to clean the plate, unless you've got mud caked on it. Kicking dirt off the plate makes you look unprofessional and lazy.