The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Momma said there would days like this.....

I need to vent.......

Last night I filled in for a friend (I guess I’ll still consider him my friend) for 2 Babe Ruth games. I was working solo on a 90’ diamond. These kids were teenaged but I’m not sure exactly what age.

The first game went okay, bad pitching by both teams but thankfully there was a 1:45 time limit. We managed 4 1/2 innings.

The second game was one like I’ve never had before. Not only did the pitching stink but the catchers were even worse (one teams F2 was his first game at F2). I work the GD stance or at least I did until last night. After being hit in the left arm 4 times by missed inside pitches (fast balls), and several other places (i.e., stomach, legs). I decided that I had to move around for my own survival. I tucked myself behind the F2 and everywhere he went, I went (both teams). And what about my strike zone? Well, I’m afraid that it moved around too.

I was hit more times in the first 3 innings of this game than the entire season combined. I lost count of the passed balls that hit me, not foul balls, I didn’t include them. I talked with the coaches between innings asking them if they had anyone that could pitch or catch…..their “super stars” were all on vacation….now I know why my friend couldn’t work these games

Okay, I've vented......but I'm still hurting
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:35pm

Sounds like the kind of game I get once or twice a week.

After 4 shots to the arm, perhaps you should have told the coaches that you were going to call the game from behind the mound. You are perfectly within your rights by rule to do so. If the coach thinks it's cute to throw in a catcher who has never caught before, it indicates to me that he has no regard for your safety whatsoever.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Misery loves company

My hat goes off to the umpires who face this caliber of play often and are still able to maintain consistency. I know that my consistency deteriorated in that second game, even before I moved behind F2.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Smile PU Survival Mode

Let me relate what else I observed on the diamond. The catchers would dig a little hole behind the plate. Well, the pitcher would bowl one in there every so often. These miserable catchers didn't block it with their leg guards or catch in their glove. The ball would hit the back of the hole and bounce straight up into the old UMPS's buckeyes.

One of my partners was also tagged in the NOIDS by an uncaught pitch. His cup provided some protection. However, it wasn't enough. When he came back two weeks later, he brought the cup to show everyone the damage. We looked at the cup but passed UP the personal medical exam. I suppose if he were a she, I would have shown more interest. Luckily for me, my own experience with a shot to the noids was less painful. I immediately adopted a survival strategy to deal with these isuues.

1) Protect the entire arm by placing the hand in the small of the back. I know some members of this board have objected to this particular "speed skater" stance. If it is aerodynamically benificial to a speed skater, then it can be medically beneficial to an umpire.

2) Use the legs guards beneath ONE to block that HBP. I brought my legs beneath me, and shoulder width apart. I curtsy (w/ respect for my family jewels) and rest my right hand on my knee for additional support. My legs are already conditioned to absorb this stress and the fatigue factor is minimal after the ballgame. I am able focus on the strike zone and hustle out from the plate.

Any real soldier would quickly understand the positive aspects of the new stance outweigh any negative condescension. The best news is that I haven't taken a serious shot in over two years. My left arm provides support for my lower back and my knees are no longer stressed by my weight. I continue to take games at this level and I notice that my equipment is now paying back my original investment with dividends. I see improvements all around.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 06:41pm.