The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Smile Check swing appeal

I would bet there are many umpires who appeal check swings with their right hand. I disagree with the given rational behind left handed checkswing appeals, but I will not be picking NITS again on this thread. Despite my reservations, I can adopt the "correct" mechanic simply to please the bosses. The left handed check swing mechanic is now gaining universal appeal. I learned about it by reading this website. I would still prefer PU point at the batter with his fully extended left arm and then ask BU, "Did HE go?" That seems to be the only realistic provision for this mechanic.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 03:33am.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
SA, this is how i do it. I step away from the plate, point to mypartner with myleft hand and ask him "Did he go?" If the answer is yes, then I signal the strike with my right hand.

I only point at the batter with my left hand if they are hit by a pitch, after calling time. I never point to first on a base on balls.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
On HBP, whether its pointing to the batter or to first, something must be done, because it could just be a ball if he didn't attempt to get out of the way. Wonder what the machanic is for that? Probably just "Time!" "Ball!". Then get ready for the coach
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
On HBP, whether its pointing to the batter or to first, something must be done, because it could just be a ball if he didn't attempt to get out of the way. Wonder what the machanic is for that? Probably just "Time!" "Ball!". Then get ready for the coach
Since the batter is usually on his way to first after he intentionally gets hit, it's usually something like, "Time! Stay right here. Stay right here." wile pointing in the general direction of the plate / batter's box.

On pointing to your partner on a checked swing --- I used to use the "point" for my strike call. Once, I pointed a "strike" on a check swing, only to hear / see my partner yell, "No, he didn't." So, I now use the hammer on the strike call and always point with my left hand (as I did before.)
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I had that situation just this weekend. Right handed batter, very slow 12/6 curve ball coming right at batter, who turns his shoulder INTO the pitch. He starts trotting down to 1b, while i'm yelling, "TIME, TIME.... thats a ball!!! Batter stay here!!".. while pointing to the plate.

HC, in the third base box, comes down and starts his discussion with me like this.. " bob, i admit that he didn't make a real great effort to get out of the way......" I responded, "don, he didn't get out of the way at all, he moved into the pitch"...

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Adopt a left hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
SA, this is how i do it. I step away from the plate, point to mypartner with myleft hand and ask him "Did he go?" If the answer is yes, then I signal the strike with my right hand.
I have adopted the new left hand check swing appeal after reading the last thread on this topic. I still find that I hammer strikes "down" and punch outs "in all directions." All are done with a CLOSED fist and most of these punches RISE with respect to initial placement of my right hand on my right knee/thigh. Sometimes I throw a left jab or a right cross or a right uppercut and sometimes I punch straight out or up above my head. I usually always hold my closed fist OUT there momentarily.

I still have rabbit ears for bench jockeys who pretend to be confused about what my strike or out mechanics look like after the first inning. I hate when they whine or insist on correcting my mechanics, as well as my judgment and eyesight. I find it ironic that coaches have found a very weak excuse and that it SEAMS to work. I could lower my level by arguing with the little guy or I can adopt a strategy to avoid it altogether. I could argue against the left hand point further or I can GROW. I have chosen to adopt the NEW left hand mechanic.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Jun 15, 2006 at 01:55pm.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Well if you are going to point at the plate on a HBP where you are going to call a ball, then you should probably being pointing to first when you are going to award first. All with your left hand.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
The difference is that on a HBP that the batter didn't attempt to avoid, pointing to the plate area tells everyone what you had on the play. If you use the proper mechanic on a walk and just verbalize "ball four", the batter-runner and everyone else don't need the added directions on how to get there.

Tim.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was taught to always point with my left hand. I never point on a base on balls I just say "Ball four".
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

pointing on BB

don't know if this was already mentioned but another reason NOT to point to first on ball 4 is that it may be misconstrued as a request for help on a check swing. i worked with a partner last week who pointed at me on every ball 4. a couple of which were check swings. luckily i was used to his habit by the time the check swing/ball 4 occurred.
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
While we're on the subject. Do you point at a check swing or bunt attempt with your right or left hand, or do you not point at all? I was taught to point at the area in front of the plate while verbalizing "yes, he did." I use my right hand but I would be curious to see what you all think.

Tim.
I have been instructed to point with left "yes he did" then give strike mechanic
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 06:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I have adopted the new left hand check swing appeal after reading the last thread on this topic. I still find that I hammer strikes "down" and punch outs "in all directions." All are done with a CLOSED fist and most of these punches RISE with respect to initial placement of my right hand on my right knee/thigh. Sometimes I throw a left jab or a right cross or a right uppercut and sometimes I punch straight out or up above my head. I usually always hold my closed fist OUT there momentarily.

I still have rabbit ears for bench jockeys who pretend to be confused about what my strike or out mechanics look like after the first inning. I hate when they whine or insist on correcting my mechanics, as well as my judgment and eyesight. I find it ironic that coaches have found a very weak excuse and that it SEAMS to work. I could lower my level by arguing with the little guy or I can adopt a strategy to avoid it altogether. I could argue against the left hand point further or I can GROW. I have chosen to adopt the NEW left hand mechanic.
SA Ump, is there such a thing as an "OPEN" fist?
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 06:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
The mechanic I learned is to point using the hand on the side of the plate as the batter -- point using the left hand for a righthanded batter and using the right hand for a lefthanded batter.
Same here. I also point to 1st base with the left hand for HBP awards after calling "Time," but never point on base on balls, nor verbalize more than "Ball 4."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Pointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
SA Ump, is there such a thing as an "OPEN" fist?
Yes, it is a combination of an extended right hand pointing finger and/or thumb, ala the older strike/out call mechanics. Some umps don't want to entirely close the fist.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

I have never pointed to 1st base after a ball four, with either hand. I have told the batter "that was four", if it appeared he did not know already, but have never pointed.

On a check swing I use either hand, whichever is most convenient for the situation, but there is no mistaking a strike since I hammer a strike, I don't point. On a check swing appeal I always step to the side and ask "did he go". So there is no mistaking a check swing appeal. I was taught to hammer and never tried to do anything else.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 12:05am.