The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question Using left hand for some mechanics

A guy who I work with recently told me he got dinged at the state tournament last year for this...

When asking the first base umpire in the A slot on a check swing, or when awarding a hit batter first base, should the home plate umpire use his [I]left[I] hand when pointing towards the base? He said his evaluator told him to use the left hand so that it wasn't misconstrued as a strike call. It was the first time I had ever heard this...has anyone know if this is a correct mechanic?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

to my knowledge it is the correct mechanic along with verbally asking your partner
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
A guy who I work with recently told me he got dinged at the state tournament last year for this...

When asking the first base umpire in the A slot on a check swing, or when awarding a hit batter first base, should the home plate umpire use his [I]left[I] hand when pointing towards the base? He said his evaluator told him to use the left hand so that it wasn't misconstrued as a strike call. It was the first time I had ever heard this...has anyone know if this is a correct mechanic?
Pretty standard stuff, yes.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have been instructed to use the left hand to request information from my partner and to award bases on balls for the very reason you stated. It seems moot, but it is supposed tp prevent anyone from misconstruing your signal as a strike or an out. I have always done it that way without any comment positive or adverse to using it.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialtony
I have been instructed to use the left hand to request information from my partner and to award bases on balls for the very reason you stated. It seems moot, but it is supposed tp prevent anyone from misconstruing your signal as a strike or an out. I have always done it that way without any comment positive or adverse to using it.
Do you also say, "Take your base?"

When you say "BALL FOUR" everyone knows what you're saying. There's no need to point on this and actually makes you look like a Smitty.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Rich, that along with yelling " foul ball" on screamers into the backstop!! (or is that a "foul tip" into the backstop")?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 04:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Rich, that along with yelling " foul ball" on screamers into the backstop!! (or is that a "foul tip" into the backstop")?
I don't even signal a foul unless a call has to be made. It slows me up in getting a ball into the catcher's hand.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with rich, and catchers love it when the ball is already in their hand when they reach back for it.

also, this topic was covered before and some people, for some reason, still think you should make ALL calls with your right hand no matter what happens ever in the world. ill stick to the standard of pointing to my partner with my left.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN

When getting help from BU, use your left hand. But why is he using any hand when awarding first on the HBP? Do batters in your area forget where first is?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
When getting help from BU, use your left hand. But why is he using any hand when awarding first on the HBP? Do batters in your area forget where first is?
Actually, this is one place I do point. And so do the guys on TV. It tells the others that a batter was hit and that's not always obvious.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Actually, this is one place I do point. And so do the guys on TV. It tells the others that a batter was hit and that's not always obvious.
I point, too, after calling time, but at the batter, as I was taught, not at first base.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I point, too, after calling time, but at the batter, as I was taught, not at first base.
I think I learned it as, handle an HBP just like any other dead ball award - by pointing to the base being awarded. A base on balls is a live ball award, hence, no pointing.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
While we're on the subject. Do you point at a check swing or bunt attempt with your right or left hand, or do you not point at all? I was taught to point at the area in front of the plate while verbalizing "yes, he did." I use my right hand but I would be curious to see what you all think.

Tim.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

i go with the left one on that
Old Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
While we're on the subject. Do you point at a check swing or bunt attempt with your right or left hand, or do you not point at all? I was taught to point at the area in front of the plate while verbalizing "yes, he did." I use my right hand but I would be curious to see what you all think.

Tim.
The mechanic I learned is to point using the hand on the side of the plate as the batter -- point using the left hand for a righthanded batter and using the right hand for a lefthanded batter.