The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Looking for leg guards that work with a knee brace.

Does anyone know of a leg guard that was a wide space between straps, or perhaps fewer-than-average straps? I am wearing my knee brace behind the plate as well as on the bases now, and my current guards aren't going to work.
Pretty much anything with a high-knee/thigh guard is out, as the top brace bar runs across my thigh.
I'm wearing a Donjoy Defiance, so the frame is fairly prominent- I'm sure I'm not the first to have to do this, and am wondering how others of you handled it.
Perhaps it'll require modifying the pads in some way?
Thanks to anyone with ideas.

Bainer.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Davis

The Davis-Wilson guards have only two straps. They're quite light and comfortable. Although I was concerned that they wouldn't bend right and would slide around on me, they work very well.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=PR1267

I've got a Donjoy Drytex hinged brace that I used when recovering from knee surgery. I tried my Davis-Wilson on over it and it fits, but feels odd. I don't wear the brace anymore, so I have no idea how well this would work out in a game.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainer
Does anyone know of a leg guard that was a wide space between straps, or perhaps fewer-than-average straps? I am wearing my knee brace behind the plate as well as on the bases now, and my current guards aren't going to work.
Pretty much anything with a high-knee/thigh guard is out, as the top brace bar runs across my thigh.
I'm wearing a Donjoy Defiance, so the frame is fairly prominent- I'm sure I'm not the first to have to do this, and am wondering how others of you handled it.
Perhaps it'll require modifying the pads in some way?
Thanks to anyone with ideas.

Bainer.
Davis-Wilson. Works for me, regardless of how big a brace I wear (Has changed over the years).
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I've torched both my ACL's and own braces for both my knees. While I dont wear a knee brace any more I do think the Davis/Wilson guards would be one to look at. I use them and think they would work with my knee braces.

If this will not work check into some hockey shin guards. I mistakely forgot my baseball shin guards once and had my hockey bag in my car. I whipped out my Hespeller hockey shin guards and did the game. I know those will work with knee braces.

Eric
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

I am killing myself laughing...

Not because I don't believe you, or I think it's funny- but because that's what I am doing RIGHT NOW!
When the knee went, the old-school +POS Brinkman models with, like, nine straps were useless. Not only were they too tall, but they were too narrow and didn't articulate in the right spot.
I thought about what could do the job for a night or two, and figured I'd try the hockey shins. I wear +POS high-tops, so my instep/ankle wasn't an issue, and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem. The pads worked so well, and were so light and flexible, I wear them whenever I feel the need to wear my brace. I slip them on, and hold them up with soccer socks of all things!
It's sort of a running joke with my local guys- almost all of them referee hockey, and they keep trying to get me to call something while I'm "skating around out there"- offside, hooking, whatever.
Anyway, it's funny that you mention that.
I'm in hockey pads now, but would like to move to a real leg guard- it seems like the Wilson-Davis is the obvious choice so far.

Bainer.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:11am

Quote:
and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem.
Must be good work if you can get it!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not because I don't believe you, or I think it's funny- but because that's what I am doing RIGHT NOW!
When the knee went, the old-school +POS Brinkman models with, like, nine straps were useless. Not only were they too tall, but they were too narrow and didn't articulate in the right spot.
I thought about what could do the job for a night or two, and figured I'd try the hockey shins. I wear +POS high-tops, so my instep/ankle wasn't an issue, and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem. The pads worked so well, and were so light and flexible, I wear them whenever I feel the need to wear my brace. I slip them on, and hold them up with soccer socks of all things!
It's sort of a running joke with my local guys- almost all of them referee hockey, and they keep trying to get me to call something while I'm "skating around out there"- offside, hooking, whatever.
Anyway, it's funny that you mention that.
I'm in hockey pads now, but would like to move to a real leg guard- it seems like the Wilson-Davis is the obvious choice so far.

Bainer.
Low in the slut? My dream job.

Anyway, most of the newer hockey shin guards do not require socks to hold them up. Mine have a couple of velcro straps that that keep them in perfect position. One flaw is that the hockey shin guards tend to stick out more so plate pants are a must.

Eric
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Bainer Didn't you just eject Lumley for inciting, LOL
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Bainer Didn't you just eject Lumley for inciting, LOL
LOL.
Please refer to Do you toss this coach?
Guess who's who.

Bainer.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

HMMMMMMMMMM.. That's a tough one.

LOL

It's tough to toss him with the sun shining out of his A$$ blinding you isn't it. LOL

Hey next time you see DUPE tell him YELLOW for me, He'll understand.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I mean, the sun rises and sets on him- you know that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Hey next time you see DUPE tell him YELLOW for me, He'll understand.
Dupes is glad that the Gospel of Yellow is spreading around.
He explained it to me- what was your part in that debacle?
What did the boys have to say?
Use the PM if you prefer.

Bainer.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

dupes was my crew chief. So we had a blast together. That is all. Funny, and I wanted to give him a good laugh.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Funny thing. I wear the Davis/Wilsons but I've been having trouble with them as the right shinguard is giving me a rash, It happened last year and it took prednizone to get ride of the rash.

Anyway, the same thing has happened this year so last night I took out my Hespeler hockey shin guard (right only) and used it instead. worked just dandy although it stretches out my plate pants pretty good.

Eric
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Rubbing Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
Funny thing. I wear the Davis/Wilsons but I've been having trouble with them as the right shinguard is giving me a rash, It happened last year and it took prednizone to get ride of the rash.

Eric
Wipe/soak all equipment and bag with alcohol and air dry.
Lysol shoes, LG, cp, CP, mask w/ TG and hat and air dry after each use.
Good luck.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 06:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Wipe/soak all equipment and bag with alcohol and air dry.
Lysol shoes, LG, cp, CP, mask w/ TG and hat and air dry after each use.
Good luck.
You must have even more spare time than I have!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25