The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

BR steps on F3

Watching a baseball sectional game last night, BR hits slow ball to F5, BR hustling down the line, did not get into the running box, F3 has foot on inside of bag as normal, throw beats the BR but BR steps on top of F3 back ankle.

What is your call? Of course it's an out but the other incident. In this game nothing was done.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

BR Steps on F3

As with anything like this, you have to try to determine the player's intent from his actions.

Several years ago I ejected a player in a men's league game because in my view, he was honked off for having hit into a double play. He was out by 15 feet, could have pulled up, could have veered to the right, and he had lots of room to hit the bag if he chose to run through the bag. He did none of these. He stepped on the dirt on the inside of the bag (side toward 2B), totally missing first base and just grazing F3's heel. Fortunately, F3 had already started to throw and had lifted his heel. Malicious contact? You bet! Not much contact but a lot of malice. (Turns out the player had a history of such behavior and was later suspended from the league.)
Old Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
Watching a baseball sectional game last night, BR hits slow ball to F5, BR hustling down the line, did not get into the running box, F3 has foot on inside of bag as normal, throw beats the BR but BR steps on top of F3 back ankle.

What is your call? Of course it's an out but the other incident. In this game nothing was done.
Unless I deemed the act to be malicous, I have nothing to call on this play, assuming we are playing with a MC rule.