The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Looking for leg guards that work with a knee brace. (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26938-looking-leg-guards-work-knee-brace.html)

Bainer Wed Jun 07, 2006 02:54pm

Looking for leg guards that work with a knee brace.

Does anyone know of a leg guard that was a wide space between straps, or perhaps fewer-than-average straps? I am wearing my knee brace behind the plate as well as on the bases now, and my current guards aren't going to work.
Pretty much anything with a high-knee/thigh guard is out, as the top brace bar runs across my thigh.
I'm wearing a Donjoy Defiance, so the frame is fairly prominent- I'm sure I'm not the first to have to do this, and am wondering how others of you handled it.
Perhaps it'll require modifying the pads in some way?
Thanks to anyone with ideas.

Bainer.

akalsey Wed Jun 07, 2006 03:48pm

Davis

The Davis-Wilson guards have only two straps. They're quite light and comfortable. Although I was concerned that they wouldn't bend right and would slide around on me, they work very well.

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=PR1267

I've got a Donjoy Drytex hinged brace that I used when recovering from knee surgery. I tried my Davis-Wilson on over it and it fits, but feels odd. I don't wear the brace anymore, so I have no idea how well this would work out in a game.

socalblue1 Wed Jun 07, 2006 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainer
Does anyone know of a leg guard that was a wide space between straps, or perhaps fewer-than-average straps? I am wearing my knee brace behind the plate as well as on the bases now, and my current guards aren't going to work.
Pretty much anything with a high-knee/thigh guard is out, as the top brace bar runs across my thigh.
I'm wearing a Donjoy Defiance, so the frame is fairly prominent- I'm sure I'm not the first to have to do this, and am wondering how others of you handled it.
Perhaps it'll require modifying the pads in some way?
Thanks to anyone with ideas.

Bainer.

Davis-Wilson. Works for me, regardless of how big a brace I wear (Has changed over the years).

IceGator8 Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43am

I've torched both my ACL's and own braces for both my knees. While I dont wear a knee brace any more I do think the Davis/Wilson guards would be one to look at. I use them and think they would work with my knee braces.

If this will not work check into some hockey shin guards. I mistakely forgot my baseball shin guards once and had my hockey bag in my car. I whipped out my Hespeller hockey shin guards and did the game. I know those will work with knee braces.

Eric

Bainer Thu Jun 08, 2006 01:07am

I am killing myself laughing...

Not because I don't believe you, or I think it's funny- but because that's what I am doing RIGHT NOW!
When the knee went, the old-school +POS Brinkman models with, like, nine straps were useless. Not only were they too tall, but they were too narrow and didn't articulate in the right spot.
I thought about what could do the job for a night or two, and figured I'd try the hockey shins. I wear +POS high-tops, so my instep/ankle wasn't an issue, and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem. The pads worked so well, and were so light and flexible, I wear them whenever I feel the need to wear my brace. I slip them on, and hold them up with soccer socks of all things!
It's sort of a running joke with my local guys- almost all of them referee hockey, and they keep trying to get me to call something while I'm "skating around out there"- offside, hooking, whatever.
Anyway, it's funny that you mention that.
I'm in hockey pads now, but would like to move to a real leg guard- it seems like the Wilson-Davis is the obvious choice so far.

Bainer.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jun 08, 2006 01:11am

Quote:

and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem.

Must be good work if you can get it!:D

IceGator8 Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:29am

Quote:

Not because I don't believe you, or I think it's funny- but because that's what I am doing RIGHT NOW!
When the knee went, the old-school +POS Brinkman models with, like, nine straps were useless. Not only were they too tall, but they were too narrow and didn't articulate in the right spot.
I thought about what could do the job for a night or two, and figured I'd try the hockey shins. I wear +POS high-tops, so my instep/ankle wasn't an issue, and I work low and in the slut, so my thighs weren't a problem. The pads worked so well, and were so light and flexible, I wear them whenever I feel the need to wear my brace. I slip them on, and hold them up with soccer socks of all things!
It's sort of a running joke with my local guys- almost all of them referee hockey, and they keep trying to get me to call something while I'm "skating around out there"- offside, hooking, whatever.
Anyway, it's funny that you mention that.
I'm in hockey pads now, but would like to move to a real leg guard- it seems like the Wilson-Davis is the obvious choice so far.

Bainer.

Low in the slut? My dream job.

Anyway, most of the newer hockey shin guards do not require socks to hold them up. Mine have a couple of velcro straps that that keep them in perfect position. One flaw is that the hockey shin guards tend to stick out more so plate pants are a must.

Eric

3appleshigh Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00pm

Bainer Didn't you just eject Lumley for inciting, LOL

Bainer Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Bainer Didn't you just eject Lumley for inciting, LOL

LOL.
Please refer to http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=26766
Guess who's who.

Bainer.

3appleshigh Thu Jun 08, 2006 03:00pm

HMMMMMMMMMM.. That's a tough one.

LOL

It's tough to toss him with the sun shining out of his A$$ blinding you isn't it. LOL

Hey next time you see DUPE tell him YELLOW for me, He'll understand.

Bainer Thu Jun 08, 2006 03:52pm

Well, I mean, the sun rises and sets on him- you know that, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Hey next time you see DUPE tell him YELLOW for me, He'll understand.

Dupes is glad that the Gospel of Yellow is spreading around.
He explained it to me- what was your part in that debacle?
What did the boys have to say?
Use the PM if you prefer.

Bainer.

3appleshigh Thu Jun 08, 2006 04:59pm

dupes was my crew chief. So we had a blast together. That is all. Funny, and I wanted to give him a good laugh.

IceGator8 Fri Jun 09, 2006 01:39pm

Funny thing. I wear the Davis/Wilsons but I've been having trouble with them as the right shinguard is giving me a rash, It happened last year and it took prednizone to get ride of the rash.

Anyway, the same thing has happened this year so last night I took out my Hespeler hockey shin guard (right only) and used it instead. worked just dandy although it stretches out my plate pants pretty good.

Eric

SAump Fri Jun 09, 2006 05:57pm

Rubbing Alcohol

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceGator8
Funny thing. I wear the Davis/Wilsons but I've been having trouble with them as the right shinguard is giving me a rash, It happened last year and it took prednizone to get ride of the rash.

Eric

Wipe/soak all equipment and bag with alcohol and air dry.
Lysol shoes, LG, cp, CP, mask w/ TG and hat and air dry after each use.
Good luck.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jun 09, 2006 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump
Wipe/soak all equipment and bag with alcohol and air dry.
Lysol shoes, LG, cp, CP, mask w/ TG and hat and air dry after each use.
Good luck.

You must have even more spare time than I have!;)