The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

whats the rulebook say

we are in a u 10 ussa tourny ..a batter hit the catcher during the progress of the game and scored a triple scoring two runs..no warning and he was ejected form this game .the runs were taken away and he is going to be ejected for the rest of the tourny..please help what is the ruleing.by the book...this was a accedent..help

Last edited by gulf breeze; Sat May 20, 2006 at 07:18pm.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf breeze
we are in a u 10 ussa tourny ..a batter hit the catcher during the progress of the game and scored a triple scoring two runs..no warning and he was ejected form this game .the runs were taken away and he is going to be ejected for the rest of the tourny..please help what is the ruleing.by the book...this was a accedent..help
I'd love to help. First, try reposting your question using understandable English. Tell the story in chronological order...what happened first, what happened next, what happened after that, etc.

The way it stands now, we are left trying to understand how "scoring a triple scoring two runs" can be the result of hitting a catcher. Get your thoughts in order.

By the way...in many cases, intent is not a factor, so whether or not an "accident" was involved may be meaningless.

Last edited by GarthB; Sat May 20, 2006 at 07:41pm.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

the rule book is often available from whoever runs your league. if you follow OBR (aka Pro Rules, Major League Rules) then you can find it in most book stores
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I'd love to help. First, try reposting your question using understandable English. Tell the story in chonological order...what happened first, what happened next, what happened after that, etc.

The way it stands now, we are left trying to understand how "scoring a triple scoring two runs" can be the result of hitting a catcher. Get your thoughts in order.

By the way...in many cases, intent is not a factor, so whether or not an "accident" was involved may be meaningless.
sorry player hits a triple inavertently hittig the catcher on the back swing..he gets to third base scoring two runs..the catcher after coaching crys but stays in the game..there was no warning for this before in the game..the ruleing was that the batter is dqed and can not play the rest of this game and the rest of the tourny,,also the two runs were taken away..thank you..
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question Scene A or Scene B?

A) While hitting the catcher on the back swing, the batter was still holding onto the bat in the back of the batter's box.
or
B) While releasing the bat after the swing, the bat flew backward and hit the catcher after being tossed by the batter as the batter began to run to first base.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
A) While hitting the catcher on the back swing, the batter was still holding onto the bat in the back of the batter's box.
or
B) While releasing the bat after the swing, the bat flew backward and hit the catcher after being tossed by the batter as the batter began to run to first base.
b is the answer thank you again
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question Need More Info?

Ok, the batter released the bat and hit the catcher.

How many outs, what inning, and did the coach discuss the matter with PU?

How did this play have an impact on the final score?
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SAump]Ok, the batter released the bat and hit the catcher.

How did this play have an impact on the final s..this isnt a friggin round table forum jerk off what does the rool book say about the infracton...whatever..thats whay blues are hated around the globe..
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

alrighty then. close thread, delete user.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=gulf breeze]
Quote:

How did this play have an impact on the final s..this isnt a friggin round table forum jerk off what does the rool book say about the infracton...whatever..thats whay blues are hated around the globe..
WOW ! What a vitriolic response to a question ! I must agree with
briancurtin. Scotty, beam this jerk up.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Ruling is FINAL

[QUOTE=gulf breeze]
Quote:

-------------

Batter is out for interference. If it is the third out then the runs are wiped out too because the runs had not crossed the plate at the time the out occurred.

The batter is ejected if there was malicious contact. The batter is DQ from the rest of the tourney as a result of the ejection.

Your personal comments were not warranted, you may acompany the batter to the parking lot.

Now, had you been more willing to discuss the situation like a REAL man, then the batter may have gotten away with a warning depending on the league rules. Tourney rules are different.

After reading your comments about BLUES (me), I say YOU GOT what YOU DESERVE.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 20, 2006 at 09:32pm.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I don't see interference here. What I see is a carelessly discarded bat and an umpire with a limited understanding of the rules of youth baseball. Someone who works USSSA will be better suited to answer your question, but in Little League and Babe Ruth, a carelessly discarded bat warrants a bench warning and an ejection on the next offense. Even with an ejection the only youth organization that I know that calls the offender out is Dizzy Dean.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Sat May 27, 2006 at 02:37am.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SAump]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf breeze
-------------

Batter is out for interference. If it is the third out then the runs are wiped out too because the runs had not crossed the plate at the time the out occurred.

The batter is ejected if there was malicious contact. The batter is DQ from the rest of the tourney as a result of the ejection.

Your personal comments were not warranted, you may acompany the batter to the parking lot.

Now, had you been more willing to discuss the situation like a REAL man, then the batter may have gotten away with a warning depending on the league rules. Tourney rules are different.

After reading your comments about me, I say YOU GOT what YOU DESERVE.
Please explain why the batter is out for interference.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Careful there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I don't see interference here. What I see is a carelessly discarded bat and an umpire with a limited understanding of the rules of youth baseball. Someone who works USSSA will be better suited to answer your question, but in Little League and Babe Ruth, a carelessy discarded bat warrants a bench warning and an ejection on the next offense. Even with an ejection the only youth organization that I know that calls the offender out is Dizzy Dean.

Tim.
-------------------------

Should this discarded bat scenario happen after a warning has been issued to the same player and an ejection follows, do you allow a proper baserunning substitution for the responsible party? I know of a catcher who was severely injured by one of those carelessly discarded bats. I left the warning on the table for a MINOR infraction, but a MAJOR accident is reason enough for an immediate expulsion and an OUT. You are definitely putting the game ahead of the safety of those involved. I will not.

I suppose it is easy for an UMPIRE of your caliber to sit on the sidelines and criticize the rulings of every other umpire. I supppose the umpires at that tournament did not fully comprehend the rules either. Please explain why the umpires at that ballpark decided to bend the rules and eject the offender and wipe the runs off the board. Perhaps you may write a letter to the TD and offer your services at the next clinic.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Definition & Learning

[QUOTE=GarthB]
Quote:

Please explain why the batter is out for interference.
By rule, "ART. 1 . . . Offensive interference is an act (physical or verbal) by the team at bat: b. When a runner makes malicious contact with any fielder, with or without the ball, in or out of the baseline."

I was in a heated discussion about interference with DG and WINDY when the catcher threw the ball on a stolen base attempt and it deflected off the bat thrown by the batter after ball four. Well if a bat harmlessly flying through the air may cause interference with a catcher attempting to make a play, I believe a bat that decks the catcher who is not attempting to make any play is also grounds for interference. JMOHO.
Closed Thread