The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Hi: I'm new to this forum. I'm not an official, but I am a slowpitch softball player & a coach who wants to have a better understanding of the rules (my current understanding of them isn't all that great!). I asked this question at a few slowpitch softball web sites, but without a good answer, so I'll give it a try here too. Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the official ASA slowpitch softball rulebook (I'm located in San Jose, CA)? I went to the ASA website & strangely I couldn't find anything (you'd think they'd want to make their own rulebook readily available to everyone). Thanks if you can help!
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
http://www.asasoftball.com/contact_us/index.asp

Old Sun May 18, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

You may also check with the head official for your area. The director for your league can tell you how to contact him/her.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to both of you. But why does it seem like the rulebook is so difficult to get a hold of? In other words, you can't request a copy directly from the ASA website & I haven't been able to find one at my local sporting goods stores (Big 5 or Sportmart). It just seems to me that it ought be made more readily accessible.
Old Sun May 18, 2003, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Copyrights their material and distributes it as they see fit. At their web site, they always suggest going to your local association for rule books or questions on rules. I would imagine that is to build the strength of the local associations.

The national office contact for the web site, for rule books and other publications and for public relations is Brian McCall ([email protected].) Perhaps he can give you more detail.

By the way, this information is at ASA's web site, http://www.asasoftball.com. There might be more on the subject already posted there.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by sellner
Thanks to both of you. But why does it seem like the rulebook is so difficult to get a hold of? In other words, you can't request a copy directly from the ASA website & I haven't been able to find one at my local sporting goods stores (Big 5 or Sportmart). It just seems to me that it ought be made more readily accessible.
Sellner,

I checked your profile; you're from San Jose, Ca. You need to get in contact with the ASA Commissioner for that area.
However, if they go by the same rules we here on the East
Coast do, you MUST be a registered ASA team to obtain a rule book. I believe it's about $25.00 to register and has other benefits. Go to the website listed above, put in your ZIP code, click 'go' and you'll find the contact you need.

Good Luck!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995