The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Can a call/non-call of interference ever be properly appealed.
Interference is a judgement call - no appeal/protest 4 14.29%
It includes both judgement & rules application - only application can be appealed protested 15 53.57%
The call/non-call cannot be challenged - only whether the proper penalty was applied 7 25.00%
A "non-call" can never be appealed/protested 2 7.14%
That's enough, Coach! 3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Question Interference - Judgement, Rules Application, Both

I have participated in a number of discussions on this forum that have touched upon the subject of what is and is not a properly protestable erroneous call by an umpire. Most commonly, this involves a "non-call" of runner interference.

I have seen differing opinions on whether or not it could be proper to appeal and/or protest such a decision by the umpires.

What say you?

(Edited to add...)

I set up the poll so that if you choose to respond, you may select more than one choice if you feel it is appropriate. I have tried to include all of the positions I remember being expressed on the question as options.

Last edited by UmpJM; Thu May 18, 2006 at 04:22pm.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

The only way you're going to win a protest on something like this, is if you go ask umpire what he saw, and WHAT HE SAW is interference, but he's not calling it. You'll likely need him to even say something that indicates he is misapplying the rule. Something like, "No, the runner has the right of way when a fielder is fielding a batted ball - no interference", after admitting he saw contact and the contact prevented a play.

Not an easy one... but possible if he saw what you saw, and is just screwing up the rule.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:04pm

If the umpire says "I judge it that there was not interference" you cannot protest under the guise of a rule being misapplied.

If the umpire says "running into a fielder who is trying to field a batted ball is not interference, coach" then you can and should protest the call as a rule has been misapplied.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, what he said.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Who voted that "a non-call cannot be appealled or protested?!?!?!"

Catcher sets up on home plate with the ball, and R1 plows her, Pete Rose style. F2 drops the ball and umpire rules safe. You go to discuss the lack of an interference call or ejection of the player, and the umpire says, "That's baseball coach, the runner can do that."

That's a definite protestable non-call.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 04:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

Catcher sets up on home plate with the ball, and R1 plows her, Pete Rose style. F2 drops the ball and umpire rules safe. You go to discuss the lack of an interference call or ejection of the player, and the umpire says, "That's baseball coach, the runner can do that."

Wasn't me.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
btdt did

for some reason, it shows who voted for what. ive never seen that on a forum ever. EDIT: its set to be a public poll so you can see who voted what, but ive never seen that option before.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Malicious contact is umpire judgement and not protestable.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Malicious contact is umpire judgement and not protestable.
I find myself in agreement with DG's assertion in regards to malicious contact.

The reason I do is that, unlike Interference, the rules do not provide any objective criteria that an umpire could misapply in determining what is and is not "malicious contact". By rule, it is left entirely up to the umpire's judgement.

I might not LIKE the umpire's call in mcrowder's hypothetical; I might think it was a "really bad" call; but, as hard as I try, I can't conceive of any way that I could validly protest it.

JM
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it wasn't the most perfect example, eh? I think you get the point though - there are numerous "non-calls" that could have been not called because of a misinterpretation of rules. LL's circle rule and leaving early might have been a better example. Not calling an out for passing a runner might be another rules misinterpretation if he saw it and didn't think it was against the rules.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

mcrowder,

Sorry, I missed your point.

I would certainly agree that an umpire, in many cases, could "misapply the rules" in failing to make a call.

JM
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Here are two quick examples of non balk calls and the subsequent explanation from the umpire's who blew the calls that should have been protested. Of course both were called in one of my sons game, so I'm biased.

Play # 1. R1 only. For whatever reason the pitcher assumed the rubber in the wind up. He steps back with his free foot, turns, and attempts a pickoff of R1.

When the coach of my sons team asked why this wasn't a balk, the umpire told him that as long as the pitcher steps back off of the rubber with either foot, it's not a balk.

Play #2 R1 and R3. LHP from set position steps to first from the rubber and fails to complete the throw.

Coach asks for explanation and the umpire says the pitcher doesn't have to throw to a base if it's occupied.

Tim.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 02:19pm

How did mrumpire11 get two votes? I can only manage to vote once on these polls.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Steve,

When I set up the poll, I selected the option to "allow multiple reponses" - allowing a person to pick more than one choice.

This is the first time I've ever "done" one of these polls, but it appears that once you've voted, there is no way to go back and amend or add to the choices. At least I haven't found one.

JM
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
CoachJM, do you umpire? What level's do you coach?

Just curious!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Closed Thread