The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Can a call/non-call of interference ever be properly appealed.
Interference is a judgement call - no appeal/protest 4 14.29%
It includes both judgement & rules application - only application can be appealed protested 15 53.57%
The call/non-call cannot be challenged - only whether the proper penalty was applied 7 25.00%
A "non-call" can never be appealed/protested 2 7.14%
That's enough, Coach! 3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bob P.,

I have never in my life umpired a "real" baseball game, at any level.

(I say it that way, because I have "umpired" a couple of scrimmage, pre-season, or otherwise completely "meaningless" games - with none of the pressure that would apply in a real game. A significantly different thing from umpiring a "real" game in my mind.)

Over the course of this season, I will be coaching three 14U teams, two travel, one "house". The level of play in the travel leagues I would characterize as "decent", while that in the "house" league is generally "abysmal".

JM
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 03:36pm

Now it shows me having voted twice, but I only voted the one time. For the record, I voted for both judgment and rules, but only the application can be protested.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 03:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Coach JM,

Just be thankful you don't coach any games where there are umpires like Steve around. You haven't done anything wrong in my estimation. There are some very anal people around here. They love to tell someone they are wrong. I love baiting them.

You're alright in my book.
You're a shallow, pathetic little man, PWL. You don't know me. I am far from "anal." I did not love to tell you that you were wrong. It pained me terribly. But you needed to know that you were wrong, and I took it upon myself, as did Tim, to point it out. When I am wrong, I'm sure you will be right there piling on me, so don't pull out your halo just yet. When we said that you were not doing your job properly if you have never ejected at least one person in all the years you've been umpiring, we were telling a fact. Don't take it the wrong way. Oops, too late for that.

JM would be thankful to have an umpire like me on his games. I get many compliments every single game, and rarely have any trouble with anyone. I just happen to know what to do if there is trouble. That is what separates competent umpires like myself from the likes of umpires like you.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
CoachJM,

You have an admirable grasp of the rules on a theoretical level, for which I commend you. The challenge is to be able to apply that same knowledge while under the pressure of game conditions.

I have always believed that a coach helps himself and his team when he as a firm grasp of the rules. Another correlation I make is that if a coach takes the time to learn the rules, like you have, they more than likely are students of the game and are excellent teacher's of the game.

Welcome and continue to post!!

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bob P.,

Thanks for the kind words. My limited experience with "sort of" umpiring has given me at least some appreciation for the truth of what you say about the challenge of umpiring in a real game.

The thing that has struck me the most is the intense focus and concentration required. Like the first time I had an R1 attempt to steal 2B and the catcher threw down. I believe I made a good call on the play at 2B, but then it slowly dawned on me that both teams were probably going to expect me to call that pitch that had just been thrown. And I couldn't even remember whether or not the batter had swung, let alone what the location of the pitch was. Not to mention the prior count or number of outs. It just kind of all went "poof" when I diverted my attention to the play at 2B.

I'm actually nuts enough to be considering moving over to the "dark side" and trying my hand at umpiring - either "fall ball" this year or spring next year. I would, of course have a lot to learn about proper mechanics & positioning and probably a lot of other stuff I don't even realize I don't know. Plus, I might really suck at it. But I am considering it.

JM
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
PWL:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're the one who has perpetuated this ridiculous fued. Every single time I've tried to explain to you that your methods need adjusting, or that your interpretation of the rules doesn't add up, you've responded like a little child that's been scorned by a school mate. You start throwing out stupid little childish attacks replete with petty name calling as you throw your Internet tantrums. For Gods sakes, man, you've claimed to be a man of nearly 52 years of age, why don't you act like it. If you want to put yourself out there and comment on the rules, be prepared to back it up, and if not, take your medicine like a man when others point out you're wrong. For example, through your posts you've shown repeatedly that you have a limited understanding of the intricacies involved in calling balks, yet when a question comes up regarding a balk call you jump in head first, blind as a bat an try to give advice. Then, when someone points out that you're not giving sound advice you go back into attack mode. These are not signs of a well adjusted man, rather they smack of extreme insecurity and immaturity.

Tim.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
John:

If you decide to come over to the deep end of the pool, all you need to do is look me up when you get to Northern Indiana. Me and the boys from my association will be only to glad to point you in the right direction as you begin your journey. Hell, we'll even throw you a life line if you start to drown!

Tim.
Closed Thread