The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Ya get thrown out for TAKIN' a punch?????

Come on. Michael Barrett took a cheap shot at A.J. after a clean hit WITHOUT the ball in the baseline. (yeah, it was on it's way)

I guess I can't blame him. He's probably just frustrated at a possible sweep by the champs and yet another lackluster season by the Cubbies. Ha, and they actually had a story on ESPN before the start of the season on how it's the Cubs turn this year, since the Red and White Sox overcame a rather lengthy drought.

Wait a minute......I think I saw Bartman in the stands catching Iguchi's grand slam yesterday.

One run in 2 games.

Oh how sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots101
I think I saw Bartman in the stands catching Iguchi's grand slam yesterday.
you should try to get on that Last Comic Standing show. your originality is just beaming
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Most likely, AJ was ejected for what he said to Barrett to incite Barret to take a swing at him. From the replay he definitely said something just prior to Barret taking the swing.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the boys in Blue are hurting and have looked very bad this entire season.
They are still beloved in Chicago and most radio shows have said that Pierzynski deserved that punch a long time ago. He is a punk and has talked trash throughout his career. Sure, he was within his rights to bowl over Barrett, but he got what he deserved. I'm not talking about a standing ovation from a bunch of mouth breathing, knuckle draggers. Cub fans take a bad rap for undying loyalty. Sox fans take a bad rap for well...being Sox fans.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires as suspensions loom.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Smile See video

Check out the postgame video.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5622514

Both clubs handled it well after the game. I hope the league goes LIGHT on each for the sportsmanship shown afterward. Not like a lot of other fights that still bring bad-blood between the clubs. I believe the Mets-Nationals had the most bad blood between them earlier this year and I was very surprised how both clubs handled themselves after Beanball Martinez took the mound in Washington. I think the players deserved an extra paycheck for appearing to like each other. That was one fine acting job.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I find it interesting that after AJ got punched, he did not participate in the fight, instead walking away; yet he gets ejected. Not the proper decision by the MLB guys there, IMHO. The other EJ's I can understand.

Now if MLB fines or suspends AJ, that'd be even worse.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

DG get a clue. A.J. was looking down when he was molested, looking up only after Barrett said he didn't like getting hit without the ball.

Again, how does one get tossed without being the knuckle-dragging aggressor?

Ya gotta admit though, if you're a Chicago baseball fan that puts a little fire in the cross-town classic.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spots101
DG get a clue. A.J. was looking down when he was molested, looking up only after Barrett said he didn't like getting hit without the ball.

Again, how does one get tossed without being the knuckle-dragging aggressor?

Ya gotta admit though, if you're a Chicago baseball fan that puts a little fire in the cross-town classic.
He was looking directly into Barrett's face with his lips moving immediately before getting smacked.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you......but he was responding to what Barrett said to him.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I think it was more game management as the reason AJ got tossed as much as anything. Really, when was the last time in MLB where you had two guys get into a fight and only one guy was ejected? If AJ doesn't get tossed what probably happens his next at-bat? He get's plunked and now you have another brawl. I think the umpires were just "hey...we'll eject them all and let MLB sort it out.."
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 04:17pm

All the Cubbie fans are naturally taking Barrett's side for loyalty reasons, but Barrett was at fault here 100%.

First, he didn't have any business being on the train track when the choo-choo was coming in without possession of the baseball, so he deserved to get his clock cleaned.

Second, who cares if AJ said anything as he was going to get his helmet, which flew on the other side of Barrett? That doesn't give Barrett any right to take a cheap shot at AJ.

Barrett is no doubt frustrated because the Cubs suck so very much this year. That probably contributed to the incident in some way.

I hope he gets a hefty suspension for his cowardly act.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
I agree with steve.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt A.J have quite a big mouth then it comes to thing like that.

The fight shouldn't have happened but Aj probably said something that Barrett didnt like.

Nevertheless,Barrett should be fined and suspended for throwing the punch.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

yes, AJ has a huge mouth and he deserved to get it stuffed with a fist. i dont know if barrett should have been the one to give it to him, id rather it wasnt him, but someone was going to give it to him eventually.

for the record: im a die hard cubs fan, have been since i was born, and we suck so bad this year that i get a headache just from wearing my cubs hat.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
All the Cubbie fans are naturally taking Barrett's side for loyalty reasons, but Barrett was at fault here 100%.

First, he didn't have any business being on the train track when the choo-choo was coming in without possession of the baseball, so he deserved to get his clock cleaned.

Second, who cares if AJ said anything as he was going to get his helmet, which flew on the other side of Barrett? That doesn't give Barrett any right to take a cheap shot at AJ.

Barrett is no doubt frustrated because the Cubs suck so very much this year. That probably contributed to the incident in some way.

I hope he gets a hefty suspension for his cowardly act.
Steve,
I realize that Barrett was the one who retaliated and I blame him for the ugliness that ensued. BUT...he did not sucker punch Pierzynski. He looked him in the eye and they exchanged a couple words. Then...right cross to the chin - we've all seen the video and stills. I also disagree with your statement that it doesn't matter if Pierzynski said anything. While words are just that, umpires know better than to let the wrong ones fly. I don't know what he said, but if it was something akin to, "Nice f-ing try little man." then Barrett was provoked. Have you ever seen a batter just smile at a pitcher and point out to the fence - he doesn't have to say a word and he is showing up the guy with the ball. When he gets plunked, we all say, "He got what he deserved." Yes, Barrett was trying to make a play...yes, he had another catcher barreling down...no, he shouldn't have punched him. I just think that while the Cubs are abyssmal, the Sox have taken great pains to be the bad guys for too long. This was turnabout and it revved up the Cubnation. Think about it...Barrett is being deified while Pierzynski is looking like the career long punk he is.

Yes, the Cubs suck this year...but it still took over ten thousand of them to sell out the Cell.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 12:14am

Yada, yada, yada.....Cubs fans are loyal like the family pooch, I'll give 'em that much. If the 10,000 rich yuppie Cubs fans hadn't bought their tickets in advance, perhaps the 10,000 blue collar Good Guys fans that couldn't get tickets could have gone to the game.

Go-Go Sox fan since '62.....not quite my whole life, but close.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25