The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Passed Runner

First time I've ever seen this:

R1 on 1st. BR hits a long high fly ball down the first base line. It looks as if it may go foul. R1 for whatever reason goes back to first in an attempt to tag and go to second if the ball is caught. He's standing there with one foot on the bag as the BR takes a big round of first base, taking about 3 steps toward second.

The wind catches the ball, and it drops in (fair) just inside the foul lines. R1 takes off for 2nd where he arrives safely while the BR returns to 1st base.

Do we have an out for a passed runner?
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Absolutely. Why wouldn't you have an out for passing?

Tim.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Yes you do. I don't understand the question.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he wants to know which one's out.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

You most certainly do!!!

BlueUmp the batter runner is out. However, please keep in mind you do not immediately kill the play. Just allow all action to take place and once all play has ceased call time and call the batter runner out!!! Simple as that!!

Hope that helps!!!

SeattleMetroUmp
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

No you don't wait for the play to stop. You rule BR out right then. Why would you wait... the play could continue and your failure to rule the out when it happened could cause defense to have to play on BR unnecessarily.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
No you don't wait for the play to stop. You rule BR out right then. Why would you wait... the play could continue and your failure to rule the out when it happened could cause defense to have to play on BR unnecessarily.
If you kill the play immediately you deny the defense the opportunity to make a play on the preceding runner or other runners.
I'd verbalize and indicate which runner is out and let play continue.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
If you kill the play immediately you deny the defense the opportunity to make a play on the preceding runner or other runners.

Say then the defense throws the ball to second. Do you still have a force here or could the runner return to first base?

In the case I described, there was a moment when both runners were both standing on first base at the same time. The BR rounded first and took a few steps toward second. Then returned to the bag when the ball dropped in fair.

If I immediately called the BR for passing R1, that would have effectively removed the force. But isn't this a delayed dead ball situation? The BR is called out after all plays are over, and the force remains. If the ball had reached 2nd before R1, he would be out on the force and the BR would be called out for passing R1.

Is this correct?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Say then the defense throws the ball to second. Do you still have a force here or could the runner return to first base?

In the case I described, there was a moment when both runners were both standing on first base at the same time. The BR rounded first and took a few steps toward second. Then returned to the bag when the ball dropped in fair.

If I immediately called the BR for passing R1, that would have effectively removed the force. But isn't this a delayed dead ball situation? The BR is called out after all plays are over, and the force remains. If the ball had reached 2nd before R1, he would be out on the force and the BR would be called out for passing R1.

Is this correct?

The BR is immediately out - removing the force.

It isn't any kind of dead ball situation.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

point at the runner in violation and declare him out. this is a live ball situation. once the following runner is declared out, the force is removed. this would also be a case of a time play, if there are 2 out and runners scoring on the play.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

What IF....

Baseloaded no outs BR hits a shot in the left field corner. It clears the bases and he gets a triple. R1,R2,and R3 all score, after R3 scores R2 realizes he missed home plate and touches it. Is R2 out for "passing" a runner, and what if the defensive coach sees this and appeals the play on R2. Just curious.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
R2 isn't out for passing, but he would be called out on appeal. He cannot correct his error after R3 scored.

Tim.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmandino
Baseloaded no outs BR hits a shot in the left field corner. It clears the bases and he gets a triple. R1,R2,and R3 all score, after R3 scores R2 realizes he missed home plate and touches it. Is R2 out for "passing" a runner, and what if the defensive coach sees this and appeals the play on R2. Just curious.
Not a pass. 1) you have to physically pass the runner. 2) Read 7.12
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

So if I'm reading this correctly R2 can go back and touch homeplate after R3 has touched it. Also if he did not touch it and the touch is appealed R2 is out for missing the plate and R1 and R3 score.?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
Now I truly have no idea what you're talking about. When did I say kill the play?

You're 2nd sentence is almost exactly what I said - call the batter-runner out and keep playing. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? I was disagreeing with Seattle's statement that you wait until play is over and THEN rule BR out. No - call him out when he's out, just like any other play.