The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

If a manager makes a defensive change in the middle of an inning and simply sends out his fielders to their replacement positions would you charge him with a visit and why? Please give rule reference.

Notes: The replacement subs didn't make any attempt to relay a message from the coach to get around rule 8.06. They are just going to their position.

Thanks Guys.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
No visit - OBR

Rule 8.06 states that "A professional league shall adopt the following rule pertaining to the visit of the manager or coach TO THE PITCHER. . ."(empahsis mine)

Rule 3.03 states "A player, or players, may be substituted during a game at any time the ball is dead." Furthermore, 3.03 gives a scenario in which 2 or more substitutes of the defensive team enter the game at the same time.

Based off these things, I deduct that 1) it is not illegal to conduct multiple substitutions of the defense as long as it is during a dead ball. 2) Visits relate only to the conversations between the manager/coach and the pitcher (including by way of the catcher/infielder - Rule 8.06)

As the PU, I would kindly ask the coach what the heck is going on. But that is just me.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks JumpMaster...As you could probably tell by my post I was definately not going to charge the manager with a visit.

That doesn't even make sense to me.

Thanks a lot.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

As long as that is all that took place = no!
Ditto on what "jumpmaster" states.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

No charged conference. But, you better make sure you find out where in the order the subs are going to bat.

Bob
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
if there are multiple changes

If there are multiple changes and the coach doesn't inform of the changes doesn't the UIC decide who bats where ?

Bob
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

can't the manager wait until he's at bat to decide where those guys go? he may even pinch hit for one of the def subs...
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
just looked in my PBUC

2.6 When two or more substitute players of the defensive team enter the game at the same time, the manager shall, immedieatly before they take their positions as fielders, designate to the UIC such player's position in the team's batting order and the UIC swhall so notify the official scorer. If this information is not immediately given to the UIC, he shall have authority to designate the substitutes' places in the batting order.