The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Question

I had fours games on Superbowl Sunday. Three went fine. The fourth was ugly. To put it simply, I goofed. Here's one situation that happened.
At TRAIL, I called a foul on Team 'A'. Reported foul. Team 'A' called 30 second T.O. (tweet - T.O. granted). Team 'B' was late getting back on the floor, make eye contact with my partner, and in haste to resume play I mistakenly put the ball in play to team 'A'. Now then, this isn't the worst mistake I've ever made and perhaps I can chalk it up to lack of concentration or fatigue. Nevertheless, I took my lumps from the Coach and ate humble pie.
What I would like to ask is this . . . are there little tricks of the trade, or techniques that you use to make certain you put the ball in play to the proper team?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
"...are there little tricks of the trade, or techniques that you use to make certain you put the ball in play to the proper team?"

One good important trick; always at the beginning of the T.O., state to ur partner, 'where/when/how' the ball is to be "put in." S/he will prob'ly be saying it to you, too.

And then, another trick; 'just' concentrate to remember it. Try to make it a repetitive (going through the) motions.

GL.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:13am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Hutbbref
I had fours games on Superbowl Sunday. Three went fine. The fourth was ugly. To put it simply, I goofed. Here's one situation that happened.
At TRAIL, I called a foul on Team 'A'. Reported foul. Team 'A' called 30 second T.O. (tweet - T.O. granted). Team 'B' was late getting back on the floor, make eye contact with my partner, and in haste to resume play I mistakenly put the ball in play to team 'A'. Now then, this isn't the worst mistake I've ever made and perhaps I can chalk it up to lack of concentration or fatigue. Nevertheless, I took my lumps from the Coach and ate humble pie.
What I would like to ask is this . . . are there little tricks of the trade, or techniques that you use to make certain you put the ball in play to the proper team?
During the dead ball, administering official could be in position with ball on hip in direction of the thrrow-in.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Ball on hip.

Even in time out, the official should keep the ball on the hip in the direction the ball is going.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Re: Ball on hip.

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Even in time out, the official should keep the ball on the hip in the direction the ball is going.
Yeah, Damian.
I figgered when Team A called the "30", that there was a high probability that there was a dead ball.
mick
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Ball on hip.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Yeah, Damian.
I figgered when Team A called the "30", that there was a high probability that there was a dead ball.
mick
Wise @ss

Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 10:46pm
Ref Ump Welsch

zebracz, I wish I'd done that on Saturday in the girls' reserve game I worked. 1.5 seconds left, team trailing by 1 calls timeout right in front of their bench. Means ball should be there for the throw-in when the timeout is over. Not even thinking (slapping my head now), timeout is over, and I go to set up as lead and find the coach screaming because my partner is setting up the throw-in on the other side of the court. I try to go out to her and let her know that she's setting up on the wrong side, but before I can get a word out, she T's the coach up. The other team missed both free throws, and threw the ball all over the place on the ensuing throw-in to kill the clock.

Worse thing of all, my mentor was standing there in the doorway waiting for the next game since he was working it. He had a look on his face like, what the hell happened out there? I told him, I don't have any idea what just happened. He was as perplexed as I was. Oh well.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
... I try to go out to her and let her know that she's setting up on the wrong side, but before I can get a word out, she T's the coach up...
Why couldn't you use your whistle to halt/correct the situation before it escalated to the level it did?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 07:37am
Ref Ump Welsch

I did try to blow my whistle. She either didn't hear it or was looking at that coach too hard to listen to it. But the same moment I was blowing my whistle, she blew hers to do the T.

By the way, I haven't heard a word from the assignor yet about this. I keep expecting him to call because I know the team that lost the game will be calling him up on it. There was a snow day yesterday, so the schools involved were closed. If I don't hear anything today about it, I'll assume the school swept it under the rug or the assignor might feel that I have no culpability in this.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Welsch

...wow. That's too bad w/ that game's outcome; but the important thing is to now use what you've learned. Now, I'm sure, that there'll not be a TO that you aren't mentioning something to our partners. Isn't it funny that thats how we learn? Good luck, ya'll

btw, did you talk to ur partner after that game? What did she say?