Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs Fpsr @ Hp

Situation:

Base loaded and less than two out.

Ground ball to F4 who throws home to F2 covering the plate.

Throw pulls F2 towards the left handed hitting batter's box.

Advancing R3 is clearly out on the force at the plate.

As R3 slides into the plate his slide takes him slightly past the plate where he upends the catcher who then throws wildly to first in an attempt to retire the batter-runner.

You make the call,

Regards,
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 04:24pm

"Time, Interference, Illegal Slide, Batter-Runner Out."

According to 2-32-2c, it is an illegal slide if a runner goes beyond the base and then makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder. If the runner decides to slide, it must be a legal slide, and he may slide or run in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

No call for me. Sounds to me like he was not fully beyond home when contact occurred. SDS's rule is not meant to apply unless the runner passes the base. If he's still ON the base, and his feet (which are beyond the base) contact a fielder, play on.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 04:31pm

Sounded to me like he said R3 was "slightly past home plate," which I took to mean his entire body was past the plate, and F2 was in the left hand batter's box making the throw. He upended the catcher, so he must have been considerably past the plate, IMO.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with steve.

Bang the DP
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

While there is no way to definitively comment without having seen the play, as described (and the picture I have in my mind from that description), I would be inclined to agree with mcrowder's assessment that this is "nothing", play on.

A bases loaded force at home on a grounder to the 2nd basemen is typically a "close play". The left-hand batter's box begins six inches from home plate. It is well within the realm of likelihood that the R3 made a perfectly legal slide into home and "upended" the catcher with his butt resting on home plate.

It's also entirely possible that the R3 went out of his way to (intentionally) interfere with the F2's chance to complete a double play on the BR. Can't tell from the description.

JM
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 06:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
While there is no way to definitively comment without having seen the play, as described (and the picture I have in my mind from that description), I would be inclined to agree with mcrowder's assessment that this is "nothing", play on.

A bases loaded force at home on a grounder to the 2nd basemen is typically a "close play". The left-hand batter's box begins six inches from home plate. It is well within the realm of likelihood that the R3 made a perfectly legal slide into home and "upended" the catcher with his butt resting on home plate.

It's also entirely possible that the R3 went out of his way to (intentionally) interfere with the F2's chance to complete a double play on the BR. Can't tell from the description.

JM
It doesn't matter -- is initial contact behind the base (plate)? If so, FPSR.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was absent the day they introduced this "the entire body has to be beyond the base and then make contact" in order to call the FPSR violation.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was absent the day they introduced this "the entire body has to be beyond the base and then make contact" in order to call the FPSR violation.

Hahaha, i was thinking the same thing, Dave
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Steve, Rich, Dave: it's not required that the entire player be beyond HP: if contact is made past the plate, it's a FPSR violation.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

I agree this has to be a FPSR. I believe this play was actually in an interpretation one of the last few years, I'll have to look it up and see, but
since he interfered with the play, its an out.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I agree with Steve, Rich, Dave: it's not required that the entire player be beyond HP: if contact is made past the plate, it's a FPSR violation.
INITIAL contact. If contact is made before or on the plate and continues through the plate, it's nothing.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb SAfe

The runner fulfilled his obligation by sliding. At 2B, the bag absorbs the sliding runners energy, and it is very difficult to actually over-slide the base. Its a different story at the plate. Very few players stop at the plate.

I may rule OUT if I see the runner change his angle trying to take the catcher OUT. But not if he's hustling to SCORE and the play was that close at the plate. I am not going to penalize the runner. Looks like the throw from F4 is what prevented the DP, not the runner. I have nothing, play on.

Last edited by SAump; Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 09:18pm.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm taking the second out, only because its FEDlandia.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with SAump. At second or third there is a four plus inch high bag catching the back leg on a slide. Effort is required to overslide the base and thus interference. But at home there is nothing to slow the runner. The only way for a runner - ENTITLED to make an effort to achieve his base - can stop on a dime is to break his leg. NOT the intent of the interference rule.
The catcher should lift at receiving the throw on the plate.
IMHO ticky-tacky calling interference unless PU sees intent.