The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

He slides "slightly" past the plate and upends the catcher? FPSR, two outs, no run scored. See Case book 2.32.2 Situation C. I hope it never happens to me because I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Good pick up, DG. This is the way FED want's us to call it

2.32.2 SITUATION C:

On a force play slide at the plate, the runner slides over (beyond the plate) and makes contact with F2. Is the runner guilty of violating the force play slide rule?

Ruling:

Yes. A runner is expected to stop short of the back edge of home plate, the same as he would at other bases. Had the runner not made contact or altered the play, there would have been no violation. 2-32-1c(f).

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Damn Fed rulebook!
We all know the runner's giving up two steps to stop short of the back edge of the plate. But right is right, and I was wrong.
Although catcher better not have his foot on the white until he has the ball in his hand - if I have to call interference on the runner for not stopping on a dime and giving a nickel change then the DEFENSIVE impeding progress without the ball should be called too.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I'm taking the second out, only because its FEDlandia.
So you wouldn't call the out in a NCAA game?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Fine Print

A runner may OVER SLIDE home, not the same as the "other bases," but what more can I expect from people that can't comprehend the difference.

Div II Colleges, R2 and R1 move with a ball hit into the deep RF gap. I saw both baserunners score "simultaneously," one right after the other. The first runner slid over the plate and stood up and screened the catcher (no contact) while the second runner slid in safely behind the first. Would have been a very close play at the plate on the second runner without the SHIELD. Yet, physically impossible if the first runner is expected to stop before the back edge of the plate.

DO Over.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:24am

This is what happens when you change a perfectly good (OBR) rule, which makes no reference as to what is a slide, legal or otherwise, to make up candy-a$$ rules (FED) just to make the game "safer" for little Johnny.

I know, if I don't like FED rules, blah, blah, blah........
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Wink All bases are not equal

First base isn't the same as the other bases, neither is HOME.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
First base isn't the same as the other bases, neither is HOME.
Unfortunately, the FED definitions of legal and illegal slide make no reference to which bases, so they apply equally to all bases. Perhaps we could have the FED hire you to change the rule, Oui?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
This is what happens when you change a perfectly good (OBR) rule, which makes no reference as to what is a slide, legal or otherwise, to make up candy-a$$ rules (FED) just to make the game "safer" for little Johnny.

I know, if I don't like FED rules, blah, blah, blah........
I am wondering why you have made several posts about how stupid the NFHS is for having a FPSR while the NCAA has the exact same rule and you have made no mention about how the NCAA is ruining baseball. It seems as if you really don't hate the FPSR. You just like going on about how much you hate the NF, for if you really did not like the FPSR you would have made some sort of comment about the NCAA.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:53am

I am sure that if I had pursued a life of NCAA baseball that I would be railing against that absolutely insane rule book of theirs also, but I spent 19 seasons working high school ball, so that is where I focus my tirades. For the record, the FPSR bites at any level, IMWOBWHO.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
See, you're thinking of the slight violation of the rule- you have to think of a more extreme violation. Like if a runner comes barreling into a base, makes a legal slide, but doesn't start his slide until he's a couple feet away from the base and totally chops the pivot man's legs out from underneith him. That's why they made the rule the way it is (i'd imagine).
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:06am

Then that pivot man should have made a better play. I'm sorry, I played hard-nosed, blood and guts baseball growing up. We didn't have slide rules, or sliding pads, or elbow pads, or batting gloves or nothing! We played good old country hardball. I know we live in lawsuit-happy times, but sometimes in trying to do the right thing, rule makers go overboard the other way, and we end up with a sport that only slightly resembles baseball.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Angry Marbles w/ no outs

Worse, runners return to the bases occupied at the TOP, as well.

Rats would coach the catcher to wait behind the plate.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
A runner may OVER SLIDE home, not the same as the "other bases," but what more can I expect from people that can't comprehend the difference.

Div II Colleges, R2 and R1 move with a ball hit into the deep RF gap. I saw both baserunners score "simultaneously," one right after the other. The first runner slid over the plate and stood up and screened the catcher (no contact) while the second runner slid in safely behind the first. Would have been a very close play at the plate on the second runner without the SHIELD. Yet, physically impossible if the first runner is expected to stop before the back edge of the plate.

DO Over.
Unless you saw one heck of a poor catcher or an errant throw there's no way he should have been screened by the first runner. With the ball in right center he would have been set up on the first base side of the plate just in fair territory to receive the throw. The first runner would have easily slid in behind the catcher and stood up well behind him.

Tim.