Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Interesting Photo

Nuff' said.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I'm having a problem with "Nuff Said". I am not getting the point here. Is it to illustrate that the MiLB umpires shirts don't match? Or that PU is carrying his mask in the wrong hand? Or that the attendance at minor league autograph sessions is remarkably poor?

Or is this a picture of you or someone you know?
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I'm having a problem with "Nuff Said". I am not getting the point here. Is it to illustrate that the MiLB umpires shirts don't match? Or that PU is carrying his mask in the wrong hand? Or that the attendance at minor league autograph sessions is remarkably poor?

It's probably referring to the forearm guards or that the shade of grey on the middle umpire's pants is off (which happens to a lot of crews as pants age). If that's "nuff said," Tim is really stretching, but then again, Tim belongs to a union and all unions blindly support other unions, no matter what.

I think the uniforms on this crew look better than some minor league crews' uniforms I've seen in the past.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

The guy in the middle looks a little frail - I hope they don't bump into him!
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I have considered wearing Forearm guards.

I work BR 13 - 18 YRO, HS, and Adult PTP. In those leagues, you get hit a lot. I am currently nursing some nerve damage to my left Forearm from a ball that hit me 3 weeks ago. But I would not expect to see an umpire wearing them at the MiLB or higher level, unless he had been directed to by a doctor to protect a previous injury. I may have to wear one to get my arm to heal.

I'm 47, if I'm still able to do this when I'm 60 or so, I think some of the hits I have taken as a younger man might break a bone when at that age. So I guess I would welcome them becoming more popular.

Nick
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
I have considered wearing Forearm guards.

I work BR 13 - 18 YRO, HS, and Adult PTP. In those leagues, you get hit a lot. I am currently nursing some nerve damage to my left Forearm from a ball that hit me 3 weeks ago. But I would not expect to see an umpire wearing them at the MiLB or higher level, unless he had been directed to by a doctor to protect a previous injury. I may have to wear one to get my arm to heal.

I'm 47, if I'm still able to do this when I'm 60 or so, I think some of the hits I have taken as a younger man might break a bone when at that age. So I guess I would welcome them becoming more popular.
You should have seen how PISSED Tim McClelland was after getting hit by Jason Johnson's last warmup pitch in yesterday's Indians-Mariners game. It was hilarious.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

since when is the left hand the WRONG hand? If this happened over night just let me know cause I am the one in the wrong then.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

btw, I couldnt reply in the 'indicator' thread so I'll hijack this one a sec:

I just watched Chuck Meriweather call a Braves-Padres game with an indicator
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
btw, I couldnt reply in the 'indicator' thread so I'll hijack this one a sec:

I just watched Chuck Meriweather call a Braves-Padres game with an indicator
OH MY GOD HE USED A FREAKING INDICATOR!"
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

what is the deal with which hand to carry your mask? fill me in? thanks.

secondly, i was at a AA Eastern League game in Reading, PA today. the replacements umps looked ridiculous. the plate ump was about 300# and his shirt looked like it was sprayed on it was so tight. his partners had significantly different color grey pants and both had HUGE windbreakers on that hung down so far as to cover the behind of the one ump. their posture was terrible as well and they looked extremely awkward moving around the field.
i s/w a phillies pitcher in the bullpen and he said that they have been doing a decent job, but that the stike zones have been much bigger than usual. no complaints from him.
that being said they seemed to call a decent game.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

As seen in tonights Texas League AA game.

Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey! I think he had the plate Thursday night in Akron!
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:43pm

Not everybody can be skinny. Many people are pre-disposed to being overweight due to health problems such as diabetes and metabolism problems.

Big John McSherry was a damn good umpire, despite weighing nearly 400 pounds. There have been other huge umpires throughout history, and they have done a damn fine job.

I'm a big fellah, and I'll race you around the diamond any time. As long as the big tubbies can get around and don't just stand in one place turning circles, then you need to back away from the fat jokes.

I am concerned about the hat though. What kind of league uses this style of hat?

Another thing, aren't these leagues supplying the replacements with authentic League uniforms? And new gear? and new pants? Why are these umpires being forced onto the field looking shoddy? Mismatched pants, jackets hanging down past their butts. What's up with this? I have seen some of the pictures on the AMLU site, and most crews at least look the part. Then I see other pictures, like the one Tim posted, and this one. Where are the nice unis? Bad form.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
what is the deal with which hand to carry your mask? fill me in? thanks.
Carrying your mask to the field in your right hand isn't a terrible thing in and of itself. You should try to make a habit of not handling your mask with your right hand during the game though. It's bad form to remove your mask with your right hand as there are so many signals we use with our right hand. The last thing you want to do is have your mask in your right hand and sell a banger. Eventually you might end up smacking someone with it or throwing it at them.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Carrying your mask to the field in your right hand isn't a terrible thing in and of itself. You should try to make a habit of not handling your mask with your right hand during the game though. It's bad form to remove your mask with your right hand as there are so many signals we use with our right hand. The last thing you want to do is have your mask in your right hand and sell a banger. Eventually you might end up smacking someone with it or throwing it at them.

Tim.
I was taught from the beginning to stand in front of a mirror and practice pulling my mask off with my left hand, while not pulling the hat along with it.

That being stated, I know many umpires who used to be catchers, and they love to pull that mask off with their right hands. They also immediately transfer them into their left hands. I think it shouldn't much matter, unless you are out there trying to impress PBUC.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread