Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Scott:

This is a photo I found on the AMLU web-site. I have no idea who the members of the crew are, or what league they're working in. Sorry, Nick, but I think it's ridiculous for an umpire who feels he's good enough to work MiLB games to use forearm pads. If he's that much of a puss than he should stick to kiddy ball!

Tim.
Didn't Brue Foremming wear a wrist pad not too long ago?
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I don't know if he did or not, Luke. I'll bet that if he did it was because of an injury that he didn't want to aggravate, not because he was being a wimp.

Tim.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if he did or not, Luke. I'll bet that if he did it was because of an injury that he didn't want to aggravate, not because he was being a wimp.

Tim.
Now your story is changing. First it was not okay to wear an arm pad, now it is okay if one is injured. I assume that you must have also looked up this guy's medical history to see if he does have any arm injuries to know that he actually is being a wimp.

The forearm pad thing obviously isn't a big deal as no one was sure what you were trying to point out was wrong with the photo. Also I do understand how it is acceptable to wear certain items only if one is protecting an injury. Either the item is acceptable for wear on the field or it is not. If the item is accpetable for the field then the individuial has the option of wearing it whenever he wants, not only if he is protecting an injury.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Are you serious about the "either it is acceptablet to wear an item or not" stance?

Have you never had someone be out of a work "dress code" due to doctors orders. The teacher next door to me wears sneakers at work because of foot problems and doctors orders. It doesn't mean that now everyone else gets to wear them.

Some things get to be exceptions to the rules due to medical condtions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
Now your story is changing. First it was not okay to wear an arm pad, now it is okay if one is injured. I assume that you must have also looked up this guy's medical history to see if he does have any arm injuries to know that he actually is being a wimp.

The forearm pad thing obviously isn't a big deal as no one was sure what you were trying to point out was wrong with the photo. Also I do understand how it is acceptable to wear certain items only if one is protecting an injury. Either the item is acceptable for wear on the field or it is not. If the item is accpetable for the field then the individuial has the option of wearing it whenever he wants, not only if he is protecting an injury.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB

I don't think my story is changing at all, Luke. Had it been only one forearm pad I would have thought maybe it was for an injury. Seeing two made me feel like this guy is a puss. I've got an idea. Why don't we start calling pitches from behind a protective screen, or better yet, in full body armor like a goalie.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that it looks like hell.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Sat Apr 15, 2006 at 07:20pm.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he has the first 15 scripted plays listed on them
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think if you look closely, you can see the word "Strike" on the right forearm pad. He must use it as a reminder. He probably points with his left hand for a ball.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I am concerned about the hat though. What kind of league uses this style of hat?
The ITL. (Interstate Trucker's League).
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Look closer

"I think if you look closely, you can see the word "Strike" on the right forearm pad."

Look underneath, you may find a scab with a previous arm injury.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:25pm

All you guys oughta be on Letterman! Especially you LMan, that was funny!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that it looks like hell.
So it is okay to look like hell if one is protecting an existing injury but not if one is preventing a new injury?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Picking nits .........................

Quote:
Scott:

This is a photo I found on the AMLU web-site. I have no idea who the members of the crew are, or what league they're working in. Sorry, Nick, but I think it's ridiculous for an umpire who feels he's good enough to work MiLB games to use forearm pads. If he's that much of a puss than he should stick to kiddy ball!

Tim.

So, you umpire without benefit of mask, chest protector, cup, shin guards, and plate shoes ? Or are you a wuss and/or a puss ?

You guys are unbelievable sometimes !

Doug
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

i dont think anyone is forcing them to go out and have pictures taken with their leg guards on their arms as well as their white hats.....THEY put themself in that spot
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Wow, you should be proud of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLU
NO, no and no. No one is forcing anyone, do you see any guns aimed at their heads? The nice unis are on me and damn near everyone I have worked with. They look like crap but here's the difference.

They're calling MiL ball, you're not. Get it?
Wow, you worked a Minor League game and did not beat out thousands of umpires that went through the normal process to get there. You only worked the games because the "qualified" umpires have decided not to work. I guess we all have our goals.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Wow, you worked a Minor League game and did not beat out thousands of umpires that went through the normal process to get there. You only worked the games because the "qualified" umpires have decided not to work. I guess we all have our goals.

Peace

This beauty comes from the person who said he gets his assignments simply because he is available! Even his assigner told him to shut up about that one. Thanks, Jeff - keep reaching for the stars; those goals will be in reach some day. ROTFLMAO

I have purposely stayed away from the last three or four threads regarding replacement umpires. I noticed that the same guys still perpetuate the myth that the league will come crawling back because the replacements are horrendous. How many days have they been out now?
Closed Thread