The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
New Career???

I played baseball for about 20 years and due to 2 major knee operations at the age of 25 I am unable to continue playing, but I would really like to begin an career umpiring. I hope that I have not reached a point in my life where a career is difficult to begin. I am currently umpiring in the local community age ranges from 9 yr old to AAU & Legion ball. Next year I hope to have my certification for FHSAA so that I may call high school games but I am hoping to hear from the vast knowledge and experience of the members of this forum on what the best route may be for me to take in the venture.

I look forward to your replies

Brian Anslow

[email protected]
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

i can't speak too much of a "career" in umpiring, but as a college student i have found that it is pretty easy to get into hs and juco ball, you just have to work hard at it and study the books.....Especially the BRD (childress publishes one each year, available from officiating.com) Good luck!
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
I played baseball for about 20 years and due to 2 major knee operations at the age of 25 I am unable to continue playing, but I would really like to begin an career umpiring. I hope that I have not reached a point in my life where a career is difficult to begin. I am currently umpiring in the local community age ranges from 9 yr old to AAU & Legion ball. Next year I hope to have my certification for FHSAA so that I may call high school games but I am hoping to hear from the vast knowledge and experience of the members of this forum on what the best route may be for me to take in the venture.

I look forward to your replies

Brian Anslow

[email protected]
Brian, get the test from FHSAA, take it, join a local association. Now, a career in high school baseball, no way. Unless you are married to a wealthy and healthy wife. Healthy because she needs to live long to keep you up.

Not many folks do this for a career, just the advocation.

You need about 700.00 to start before calling your first game.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
You need about 700.00 to start before calling your first game.
Dollars?! What kind of gear you wearing? You could get starter packages from various vendors for under $250. I'd probably want to upgrade some of the protective gear but that wouldn't come close to $700.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well i already have gear so the cost is not an issue and i am already a part of two local associations. I am more interested in the best way to turn this into a career as in move into D-1 and hopefully further up the ranks in the later years that is what my career question was stemming from.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
You can get a starter package on protective equipment for just under $250.00, but that will only include a protector, mask, and shin guards. The basic uniform starter package runs around another $120.00. That includes one hat, one shirt, one pair of pants, one ball bag, one indicator, one belt, etc.......... Since I think it's not a great idea to have just one shirt and pair of pants, you should add another $80.00 for at least a spare of each. So lets see.

Protective equipment package = $250.00
Uniform package = $120.00
Second basic uniform = $80.00
Plate shoes = $90.00
Base shoes = $65.00
Extra hats = $30.00
Cup and jock = $20.00
Jacket = $80.00

Total = $735.00

This price doesn't include any Under Armour, leather luster, equipment bag, or other items we usually carry.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Dollars?! What kind of gear you wearing? You could get starter packages from various vendors for under $250. I'd probably want to upgrade some of the protective gear but that wouldn't come close to $700.

$700 is not out of line. Let's see, plate pants and base pants, there's $130. Plate shoes, $150. Base shoes, about $65, two uniform shirts, $56 or so. Belt? I dunno, $10? That's over $400 and we haven't begun to add a hardshell chest protector, quality mask and some shin guards. Don't forget ball baqs and hats. That's over $700.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I wear West Vest protector, Honigs shins, mask, +pos shoes, and just think I have all this in Gerry Davis as well. My wife is about to kill me but I will survive. I also have five pants, combo, five shirts of navy and five of powder blue. Under armour, my four caps, belt, clickers, bag, cup, umpskins, yes short and long pants, wind breaker, lined and unlined. Heck, I have over 1000.00 now.

All of this was my tax deductible. Again, not in it for the money but an advocation. I know I need my brain examine, but I look good doing it.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not start another gear junky thread. Tee will chime in and dust us all if we do. He must have to drive a small bus to haul all his stuff around.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Let's not start another gear junky thread. Tee will chime in and dust us all if we do. He must have to drive a small bus to haul all his stuff around.

Tim.

Tim, you beat me to it.....I wanted Tee to give us an estimate
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I spent a cool $450 on all of my equipment my first year (uniform, equipment, shoes, and accessories). Then for summer, i had to buy a brand new shirt and hats, so there's another $50, and i bought a jacket for another $60.

Not to mention $30 for state dues, $40 for HS chapter dues, $35 for summer chapter dues, and $30 for Legion certification.

So more or less you work your first 10-15 games for free.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I dont mean to sound trivial but is it possible to get some input on my main question lol just figured i would try to get back on point!!
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will.

Quote:
I dont mean to sound trivial but is it possible to get some input on my main question lol just figured i would try to get back on point!!
What are your goals? Do you want to just work HS? Do you want to one day Work College? This question really would be best answered by someone that lives around you. They would know exactly what you need to do to get a HS schedule and the process to get your license. The fact that you paid will be a huge factor because you understand the game in ways many are clueless about when they start umpiring.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Start with JV

You should ask the local rep for training new umpires for all the info you may need to get started. He will gladly answer all your questions. Also meet the person who is responsible for assigning you games to work. Know his name and his phone number. After you go through training, he becomes your number one contact for the association.

I can only speak for a local association. They require you to attend monthly meetings and pay dues. Try not to extend the discussions so that the meetings will end on time. You work 3 scrimmages for free. Spread yourself around the first season with no more than 2-4 games per team, if possible. Don't hog the schedule and don't hog the same teams every single game.

You may be sent in your travel wagon to cover the road games for small high schools too. Once you move up the ladder, the games get closer to home and the quality of the teams improve. Depending on availability, you may be assigned more games than you may want per week. Don't get burned out.

You are to work 3 years of JV ball before you get a shot at varsity. In reality, if you know what your doing (played college ball or attend clinic on 2-man mechanics), someone will waive the 3 year JV requirement. Meet and greet the coaches and learn, but don't get personal. Remember, its a game and you are not the central character. Keep up with your equipment and leave everything but the experience on the field.

Buy an ice chest and pack it with non-alcoholic drinks for every game.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well i already have gear so the cost is not an issue and i am already a part of two local associations. I am more interested in the best way to turn this into a career as in move into D-1 and hopefully further up the ranks in the later years that is what my career question was stemming from.
If you're looking to make umpiring your profession you'll need to attend one of the five week long pro schools. The top students in each class are offered the opportunity to begin a career in the PBUC. Everything you will need to do in order to make this a profession has been charted in a book written by Rick Roder entitled Baseballs Narrowest Door The book can be purchased on-line at this link:

http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/

This is the link to the Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring:

http://www.umpireacademy.com/

This is the link to the Wendlestedt Umpires School:

http://www.umpireschool.com/

It's a common misunderstanding that a lot of people have that Div 1 umpires are full time professional umpires. While they are no doubt some of the most professional umpires in their skills, they are mostly men and women who umpire outside of their usual vocation doing this only part time.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Tim.