The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Umpiring is a job that is rarely (if ever) done for the money. It's an activity that we partake in for the fun of the game. However, at most levels, we are paid a certain amount of money.

I was wondering, at what point (or even if there is a point) where an umpire makes it into a career? Is umpiring the sole profession for Major League Umpires? Minor League Umpires? Do they need to continue a second profession to support themselves and their families?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

i would think minor league umpires have a fall/winter job since they dont really make enough to support themselves year round.

most major league umpires are making 6 figure salarys, so i would hope they can live off that. many of them do little stuff on the side with volunteer organizations, and Gerry Davis as you know runs a store. mlb guys are pretty much set.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I know a few minor league and major league umpires and I have had the opportunity to discuss this topic with them before and they gave me different view points.

In talking with the minor league umpires that I know, they have told me that most minor league umpires have another job during their off season because of the pay scales that minor league umpires receive based on what level they working.

On the other hand, most major league umpires do not have another job other then umpiring during the off season. Some major league umpires do have another job outside of umpiring during the off season, but most of the major league umpires do have another job outside of umpiring.

As far as making it a career, that is a personal decision. I have decided to make it a career for me due to many reasons. The first one being it is a job that I love to do, but most importantly, I am home during the school year for my daughter. I had a lot of veteran umpires evaluate me, talk with me, and I have also had lengthy conversation about my decision with my family.

That is the big one...is your family. Make sure your family understands every aspect of your decision about making umpiring a full time career. That way, everyone knows what is going on, and every one feels a part of your decision.

I hope this information helps you out. Good Luck with your umpiring career.

John Sandlin
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

john, what level of ball are you working that lead you to choose umpiring as your career? just wondering
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brian43
john, what level of ball are you working that lead you to choose umpiring as your career? just wondering
I can't speak for John, but I personally don't believe level of ball matters. One of our local guys, at 48, retired early from his previous career and now has a second career of umpiring. He umpires high school and college baseball and softball mostly, but also does various rec-ball leagues. Throwing in a little basketball and volleyball, officiating is what he considers his passion and now his full-time "job".

His house is not in the sleekest suburb, his car is a little older and perhaps needs a paint job, but he is happy with his life. He loves his chosen career, in spite of the fact that it brings in very little money.

I wish I had the courage to step out of the rat race. For me, officiating is "just" an avocation.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I currently umpire major high school varisty baseball, and also work all levels of college baseball as well. The decision for me took a lot of time to come to due to my family, but also my thought process in regards to my umpiring career. It is a personal decision that each umpire has to make for himself or herself at what time they feel is right for them.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

We got a guy in my group that is a career official, 45 years old, live with mommy,works for 3 different city rec leagues( baseball/basketball/slo-pitch/fast-pitch). Now for the kicker.....he does not drive, ridesa bright yellow cruiser with a basket on the handle bars to lug the gear with.And uses the bus........
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Cubbies87

Umpiring is a job that is rarely (if ever) done for the money. It's an activity that we partake in for the fun of the game. However, at most levels, we are paid a certain amount of money.

I was wondering, at what point (or even if there is a point) where an umpire makes it into a career? Is umpiring the sole profession for Major League Umpires? Minor League Umpires? Do they need to continue a second profession to support themselves and their families?

Unless one makes it "to the BIG TIME", has a working spouce with a good job, or is single living at home, one cannot depend on an umpires salary ALONE even at the Triple A level to make ends meet.

Sports officiating is good for a second income or when one retires from THEIR regular job. Officiating is just like having a "part time" job.

In addition to baseball, there's football, basketball LaCross, Volley Ball, Soccor, and a few others. In fact it's tougher getting into football and basketball because these events are "timed" and therefore more people opt to officiate in those respective sports.

In addition to HS FEES there are "other FEES, meaning for Football there's Pop Warner, Basketball has many many leagues outside of HS like CYO etc and baseball has the Summer / Fall sessions, so you can make a decent supplemental income officiating but not the MAIN Source if you have any kind of family life like a mortgage etc.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Pete's response 100% across the board. Currently, all I do is referee, but I work football, basketball, baseball, and softball with basketball and baseball being done at the college level along with the high school level.

Because of all the games I work in a calendar year including all the sports as well, is the only reason by the grace of God that I am able to be referee without having to work the major college level, or the pro level.

But, you have to swallow your pride and egos and work the low levels of games in order to pull this off.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Very few MLB umpires really couldn't live in their wages without off-season jobs. Some choose to augment their incomes, but that is more by choice than need.

Minor Leaguers, who do not return to school, and even some of them, need off-season jobs to survive.

I know of several "amateur umpires" who make a living officiating, but they also assign and they officiate at least three sports.

Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Garth, most MLB umpires even young MLB umpires do are not forced to work after their season is over with because of their starting salary or their lower salary.

If I remember correctly, I believe somebody told me, that a first year full time MLB umpire's starting salary is around $80,000-$100,000 a year, but again I going on remembering information from a previous conversation. Do not quote me on my figures.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Actually Garth, most MLB umpires even young MLB umpires do are not forced to work after their season is over with because of their starting salary or their lower salary.

If I remember correctly, I believe somebody told me, that a first year full time MLB umpire's starting salary is around $80,000-$100,000 a year, but again I going on remembering information from a previous conversation. Do not quote me on my figures.
I believe you misunderstood my post. We are in agreement.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Very few MLB umpires really couldn't live in their wages without off-season jobs. Some choose to augment their incomes, but that is more by choice than need.

I couldn't follow your first sentence either. The second one clarified your position for me.

Nearly all MLB umpires can live on their umpiring wages without needing to take off-season jobs.

Yeah! What he said.