The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
In a few months I'll be giving out over 1,000 world series assignments for a national world series tournament. I'd be very interested in hearing from many of you indicating the reasons why you feel you were selected for the highest level game of you career. What assignment did you get ... and why?

Most of you, no doubt, have heard the expression that "perception is not always equal to reality." The reality part is that these assignments must be made with good guidance and judgement. The perception element is that we all have a higher opinion of our own game than does anyone else, including assignors.

Please share your personal experiences with me as to why you think 'you' were selected over others for the best assignments you've ever received. Why did the assignor select you?

I'm hopeful that what you tell me is in line with the rationale that I plan on using come this July. What did you like/dislike about the process you faced during the selection? What preparation took place? What do you feel was missing? What would you have done differently?

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Thanks for your anticipated participation.

Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not What You Know, But Who

In my first year of umpiring, I did the bases with the assignor of the State Babe Ruth tournaments. He liked how I handled by myself. So when an umpire got injured at a District tourney, he called on me to do a State game with him. Did I deserve to be there? Certainly, not based on experience or knowledge. Sometimes, it helps to be in the right place at the right time.

Old Sun Mar 17, 2002, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

In the association the handles the local school and college assignments, the higher level assignments are handed out by a formula that includes weighted consideration of the individual ratings and ranking, rules test scores, previous experience and attendance record and meetings and clinics. Until this year we did not seek out, nor consider, coaches comments.

Obviously, when a "tie" between or among umpires exists, other considerations such as being in the right place at the right time, availability and personal relationships enter in.

The association that assigns youth league games first rewarded me for basically similar criteria, but also took into account the seriousness with which I approach my avocation and the amount of time and effort I invest in keeping my skills honed by seeking out and attending various camps and clinics. Additionally, area coaches began recommending me for the higher level tournaments.

I am now the assignor and trainer of that association, so I do fewer of the games myself and face the same quandry as you.

BTW, what national world series are you working on? Do I know the way to San Jose? SJSU graduate, class of 74.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

GarthB & Mike M:

Thank you gentlemen for taking a small amount of time and responding to my querry.

FOR THE REST OF THE 100 PLUS 'WHO TOOK A LOOK' ... ARE YOU NOT ABLE TO RECALL YOUR BEST ASSISNMENT, OR DO YOU HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHY IT HAPPENED?

I thought this was a forum where individuals felt free to express their views and opinions.

Was I wrong in expecting more to participate and relate their experiences?

I'm still waiting .... I know you're out there.

Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by etbaseball

In a few months I'll be giving out over 1,000 world series assignments for a national world series tournament. I'd be very interested in hearing from many of you indicating the reasons why you feel you were selected for the highest level game of you career. What assignment did you get ... and why?

Most of you, no doubt, have heard the expression that "perception is not always equal to reality." The reality part is that these assignments must be made with good guidance and judgement. The perception element is that we all have a higher opinion of our own game than does anyone else, including assignors.

Please share your personal experiences with me as to why you think 'you' were selected over others for the best assignments you've ever received. Why did the assignor select you?

I'm hopeful that what you tell me is in line with the rationale that I plan on using come this July. What did you like/dislike about the process you faced during the selection? What preparation took place? What do you feel was missing? What would you have done differently?

Ed I will answer in 2 parts

Part I - HS assignments. It has been my experience thus far that HS assignemnts are on the "buddy buddy" system - meaning political in nature. Also, HS games vary around the country but probably the start times are in the 4 o'clock range which means AVAILABILITY comes into play.

Therefore, in HS availability more than quality gets one the big games. If you are always available on a day-to-day bases, normally you will get rewarded with some bigger type games and advance to the varsity level quicker than someone who might be a real good umpire but because of work constraints isn't as availabale as someone else.

Part II - all other ball which includes LL, Babe Ruth, Legion, Connie Mack, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Kofax, Collegiate Wood Bat and the mens leagues are handled by a different assignor in my area.

I have been rewarded for my efforts in Part II. Last year I had the plate for the Finals of the Collegiate Wood bat League. In the "Other" Category the assignor is Fair and is looking more for the following attributes:

1. Quality - Have you attened the sponsered clinics? or attending a PRO or similar type clinic.

2. Honesty - Meaning Give the assignor a TRUE schedule of games you can attend and unless their is some sort of Family emergency - do not call up Game Day and cancel.

3. Ratings - As a rookie, the assignor does his best to team you up with veteran officials and get their feedback. Also, since these leagues are paying top rated FEES for our service, the coaches also have feedback in one's development.

Conclusion: I haven't had much luck in the bigger HS type assignments which was cause for an article by referee concerning the decline in HS Officials. That however, at least in my circumstance doesn't bother me because I mainly got HS certified to work all the "other type" games because an umpire MUST be at least HS certified.

It helps with insurance as well, because a HS certified official is not covered under the HS insurance policy if he / she works a game with an uncertified Official.

Therefore, except HS, the Good Type Game assignments are given to those who pay their dues by attending the clinics; being honest with the assignor and receiving good ratings - in other words the Old Fashioned Way I've Earned it.

Pete Booth

Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

My highest level assignment to date has been the plate for the opening game of the 2001 PA State Big League Tournament.

It's worth noting that 2001 was the first year I'd ever done any 90-ft work (I had 3 years of small-diamond experience). I went to the LL school at Williamsport and worked HS-JV; LL Juniors, Seniors, and Big League; and some MSBL prior to getting that assignment.

I got the assignment because of a combination of:

* Luck (being the right place at the right time)

* Working for and with the assignor all season

* Being perceived by the assignor as a competent umpire who worked hard, was reliable, and deserved the opportunity.

You could make a strong argument that the assignor was crazy, irresponsible, and/or desperate to give such an assignment to a guy with only one season of big diamond experience. But I think the consensus was that I was better than your average 1st-year umpire.

For what it's worth, I did fine and had a great time working in a four-man crew (another first for me).
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Assignments

I have been fortunate to be selected in some very good assignments. I have umpired the Little League Western Regionals, Senior Little League Regionals, Pony, Colt, Palomino Regionals. I have umpired the Super Series and USSSA World Series.

I have had been selected to Division 1 NCAA College games as well as High School playoffs.

Why was I selected to these assignments. Politics? Is it because I have made myself available when the assigner needed someone. And this was payback? Was it because I was the Umpire in Chief and the assigner owed it to me? Hopefully not.

What does an individual need to have to be selected to theses games?

First of all there is appearance. He must be in good physical shape. He needs to be able to get into position. This is a tough one to swallow for me especially. I have always been overwieght. I topped out at 440 pounds. At this weight I was selected to umpire in the SWAC Conference in the NCAA. I was able to move but was a step or two behind. I had stomach bypass surgery and in a year have lost 170 pounds. I am in good shape now. And look and feel better than ever.

The uniform needs to be pressed and clean. There needs to be a shine. This gives an appearance of professionalism. When you show up to a game or in the environment where you are looked at as The Umpire. You should be dressed professionaly and your attitude should be dignified.

The umpires should have the communication skills to perform a strong pregame with members of the crew. Mechanics and responsibilities can not be in doubt. The plate umpire should have the ability to perform a detailed pregame with coaches. This is the first contact with the teams representatives. Ths is where they get a comfort with the officials of the game.

The umpires must have the knowledge of the game. This comes from training clinics. The best way to get to understand the rules and situations is to be put in the situation of teaching. Helping with clinics put an individual in a situation where other sides of looking at a rule or mechanic are brought out and makes the individual that much stronger. If a person can teach it they should be comfortable in the game situation. So attending high level clinics are very important. And then sharing that information with local members helps everyone.

The umpires attitude toward the game is a difficult component when making assignments. Many times there are individuals that look great, they have been to the right schools and clinics, they know the rules and mechanics perfectly. But they get emotional (Attitude). They take advantage of situations to prove they are in control. (Power). They have tough calls or situations and they get defensive. They pull out the old Major League mentality. I made the call and no I am not going to listen. That defensive attitude is not acceptable in today's game. That point is being made in professional baseball, college and high school. Hopefully it gets to the youth sector with new officials. People are more sensitive as to how the are communicated with. There is a level of respect that is necessary. This has effected many good individuals that have not been given the opportunity to be assigned to the higher games.

The most important is Pride. The individual chose should be proud to being assigned. They should be challenged to do a great job. Individuals that are handed the games on a silver platter without earning it usually do not perform at a level that is expected.

Again I personally have been fortunate in being assigned to very good games. I have also been overlooked. I can accept being overlooked if the person deserves it. It is the political "Handed on a Silver Platter". Usually those are the ones that have problems.

Good Luck and Yes I used to live in San Jose so I know the way and miss it very much. Some of the best umpires I have ever met are in San Jose.

Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ed -

Thanks for reading and responding. When I saw your name on this thread, I immediately thought of an individual that I met and enjoyed pizza and beer with on a few occasions in Santa Clara ... I also remembered have a few pictures, that I took, while watching you and Bob Galbraith due a game at West Valley College in Saratoga. (circa 1995-96?) ... I also remember being impressed at how connected you always appeared to be, never missing a call, and most certainly always in excellent position.

Your old group has grown quite a bit since your departure from this area, this year we may hit 2,000 ball games from March through August. Time has changed the landscape somewhat and the evolution of our contemporary success, is, in part, due to the many excellent umpires (very good people) who have made their contributions over the 40 years that we've been around. I can honestly say that you were one of them. We now have about 100 umpires in the database, and you'd probably still recognize 20 or so who have been with us for 15 to 25 years.

Thanks for sharing your insite and experiences, Ed. I'll be watching for your future posts, and feel free to give me a call and we can reminisce about your days here in the valley.

I know that you know the way to San Jose.

Ed Thomas, VP-GM, Santa Clara Valley Federation of Umpires

Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Talking Assignments

etbaseball,

I was selected two straight years to work the Little League state finals in Michigan. It was a very high honor to get it the first time, but it was even better to get the second time. Both teams I was asked to work the plate and to be the crew chief. After the second time around, I asked the assignor how I get it again two straight years. I was informed that it was by personal request because of the job I did the year before. Just food for thought.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

This will be my 5th season umpiring. My first year out I got thrown into a varsity fastpitch softball game(in fact it was my first game) Talk about crapping your pants! I drilled my partner for information the whole trip. I went home that night, threw myself into my rulebook, and decided that I was going to work as hard as I could to learn, get better, sharper and look professional. Midway thru my season my then assignor threw me into a HS varsity baseball game( unregistered at that) I fell in love with the game. My 3rd season I joined a very respected association and it has only gotten better since. I work very hard to constantly be learning. I've always been open to feedback by veteran officials(some guys think they are invincible and you can't tell them anything--please don't assign me with them!) I am hungry to go somewhere in my umpiring and because of it I am driven to improve myself. I work with my assignor(he is now my partner as well as my mentor) He was encouraged by my contagious enthusiasim and felt that I could do the job. I have worked HS, Legion, Div. II and III college and Men's Amateur baseball. I am willing to do all I can to grow and learn, be it attending clinics, getting evaluated, reading advice from all you pros out there and presenting myself in a professional manner. I care about the job I do at every game. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, for this umpiring is making everyone around me crazy because it is so in my blood and under my skin! Thanks for letting me unload.

Jackie W.