Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 08:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Find where I said this while you are answering my original question.

I said I did not care that you do not care. I never said I would ignore your posts. That was several other posters who were considering ignoring you.

I want my question answered, since you made the ridiculous statement that people on the other side of the strike issue were calling AMLU umpires names comparable to "scab." I said that's BS. Show me the harsh names that are being attached to the minor league umpires who quit their jobs.
Once again, I did not say anything about you. I thought you were ignoring everything I say and you have found no value in my posts. Oh well, I will do the ignoring for you.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

It is remarkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
If you wait for and take the opportunity to cross the line and undercut union workers, you're a scab.
Mr. Jiggy,

I mistakenly thought that you wanted to give a persuasive arguement to the guys thinking about umpiring in the Minor Leagues this year. It seems that I was wrong, you just want to use inflamatory language. It doesn't work.

Why not try giving the reason why it is OK for AMLU guys to do other jobs that people want but it is wrong for people to do the jobs that the AMLU guys have refused?

Joe
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Once again, I did not say anything about you. I thought you were ignoring everything I say and you have found no value in my posts. Oh well, I will do the ignoring for you.

Peace
I never said anything of the sort. You are a master at putting words in people's mouths. I never said I was going to ignore you, nor did I say anything about the value of your posts. Please just answer the questions asked of you, unless you are intentionally being obtuse.

You can't get away with making a flip statement such as this, and not answer for it:

Quote:
"I do not think I am missing any point. If you are so concerned about the use of "scab" then why have you not called out the names of people that sit on the other side of this issue and have done the same?"
Now, show me an example of ugly names leveled at the AMLU umpires, and quit skirting the issue.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Steve,

As you always do you want to make this about my personality when I was not even talking to you or about you. I am not answering any questions for a person that only wants to make this a personal debate.

Turn the page and take the comments for what they were worth. I was not even talking to you at all. I was talking to Joe and he did not seem offended.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

?

Quote:
Steve,

As you always do you want to make this about my personality when I was not even talking to you or about you. I am not answering any questions for a person that only wants to make this a personal debate.

Turn the page and take the comments for what they were worth. I was not even talking to you at all. I was talking to Joe and he did not seem offended.

Peace
I am offended if you made it up.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I am offended if you made it up.
The great thing about this site is you can now look up any comments and things people said on both sides of this issue. If you believe the term scab is inappropriate, I have the right to feel other comments are inappropriate as well. You cannot shape this discussion to just your point of view. The term "scab" is here to stay. The term has a long history in this country and has been used in all kinds of union/company disputes. Many are not going to stop using it because it offends you. Sorry, those are the facts.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

^

Quote:
The great thing about this site is you can now look up any comments and things people said on both sides of this issue. If you believe the term scab is inappropriate, I have the right to feel other comments are inappropriate as well. You cannot shape this discussion to just your point of view. The term "scab" is here to stay. The term has a long history in this country and has been used in all kinds of union/company disputes. Many are not going to stop using it because it offends you. Sorry, those are the facts.

Peace
Jrutledge,

Do you realize that you do not seem to actually reply to what people are saying? Maybe you do this by accident but it sure seems like you do it on purpose.

I already said it does not offend me.

It was asked for you produce something that ANYone said inflammatory or insulting about AMLU guys. You utterly refuse to do so-I think it is because you made it up.

As for your comments about using the word 'scab'...it shows an stunning misunderstanding of civil communication. The issue is not whether or not people use the word. Of course people use the word. Why do you keep telling me that people use the word?

My point is that it is not constructive to use insulting and inflammatory language. It certainly is not in harmony with your sig.

Joe
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

What was so sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Yesterday was a dark day in Toledo Mud Hens baseball. The Mud Hens opened defense of their 2005 International League Championship yesterday evening losing at home to the Charlotte Knights, 1-0. But that is not what made it a dark day. It was dark because scab umpires officiated the game. The umpires names were not announced or shown in the box score, but an article in today The (Toledo) Blade stated that the umpires were amatuer umpires hired by the IL. The scabs should be ashamed of themselves.

MTD, Sr.
Theres nothing sad about a a union going on strike and having to find replacements. It happens all the time. It wasnt long ago that the MLB umpire went on strike was it sad to see the scab minor league umpires calling the games. I dont think so
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Scabs not so bad

Come on people lets get real.... Did we really think that Minor League Baseball was going to cancel the season. I mean come on, the only Diff. between a Minor league Ump. and the umps that are now scabs is.... well nothing. I guess u can argue that the minor league umps know section 3/a 103 of the rule book better than the scabs, but the fans dont care, nor does minor league baseball. That is a developmental league.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:07am
Administrator

Important!! Please Read!!

Gentlemen, gentlemen?

Since I am the person that started this thread I am going to take it upon myself to get it back on track. Yes, I use the word scab; and JIGGY correctly defined a scab, the word that I used in my origianl post.

That definition of scab is the point I am making. The umpires that are taking the place of the striking umpires are unprofessional and unethical. I know that is a very strong statement to make but it is true, nonetheless. I know if an incident in a fast pitch softball tournament last year, where the tournament director came onto the field while the game was in progress and stopped the game to complain to the plate umpire for tossing a coach who lost control of himself when his pitcher was penalized for quick pitching. The tournament director was told to leave the field by the PU. Instead he pushed the PU and swore at him. This was done if front of the BU and all of the spectators watching the game. The PU walked off the field, but his BU refused to leave the field and an unpire would had a game off gladly took the PU's place so he could make another game fee.

Yes, scab is a fighting word, but it what the replacement umpires are doing make them worthy of being called a scab and I cannot possibly have any respect for them when they gladly stab a fellos sports official in the back just so that they can earn some "big" money and have a memory of their big chance.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:07am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump2323
Theres nothing sad about a a union going on strike and having to find replacements. It happens all the time. It wasnt long ago that the MLB umpire went on strike was it sad to see the scab minor league umpires calling the games. I dont think so

Please see my latest post above.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen?

Since I am the person that started this thread I am going to take it upon myself to get it back on track. Yes, I use the word scab; and JIGGY correctly defined a scab, the word that I used in my origianl post.

That definition of scab is the point I am making. The umpires that are taking the place of the striking umpires are unprofessional and unethical. I know that is a very strong statement to make but it is true, nonetheless. I know if an incident in a fast pitch softball tournament last year, where the tournament director came onto the field while the game was in progress and stopped the game to complain to the plate umpire for tossing a coach who lost control of himself when his pitcher was penalized for quick pitching. The tournament director was told to leave the field by the PU. Instead he pushed the PU and swore at him. This was done if front of the BU and all of the spectators watching the game. The PU walked off the field, but his BU refused to leave the field and an unpire would had a game off gladly took the PU's place so he could make another game fee.

Yes, scab is a fighting word, but it what the replacement umpires are doing make them worthy of being called a scab and I cannot possibly have any respect for them when they gladly stab a fellos sports official in the back just so that they can earn some "big" money and have a memory of their big chance.

MTD, Sr.
It's not TRUE, Mark. It's your OPINION. There's a difference. And your story is completely unrelated to the MiLU situation.
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

It is incredible that a smart guy like you cannot understand that you lose so many listeners when you insult and call names. A lot of people will not listen to you, even if you are right. It seems like union rhetoric is not meant to persuade.

Instead, why don't you try a reasoned and respectful argument? Some of the guys who have worked Minor League games may see your point and refuse to do any more. Some guys who are undecided may be swayed in your direction.

Joe
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I feel like I am driving the short bus for umpires...

Quote:
Mark,

It is incredible that a smart guy like you cannot understand that you lose so many listeners when you insult and call names. A lot of people will not listen to you, even if you are right. It seems like union rhetoric is not meant to persuade.

Instead, why don't you try a reasoned and respectful argument? Some of the guys who have worked Minor League games may see your point and refuse to do any more. Some guys who are undecided may be swayed in your direction.

Joe

I try very very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt...but it is getting hard to believe that there is any intelligent life out there...

I HATE REPEATING MYSELF...

Calling them scabs is not name calling the same way that calling a Cop a Cop, or a Crackhead a Crackhead is not name calling. Whether you or anyone else likes the term, it is the correct title. The Crackhead's name is Pookie, but his title is Crackhead.

...And again with the "there's no difference between a guy off the street in a blue shirt and the minor league guys" crap? Anyone who makes ignorant statements like that simply proves the opposite to be true. You don't know what you don't know; on a professional baseball field, that can get you in a lot of trouble. This has already started to prove true for the Scabs and will only get worse before there is a resolution to this. The gap is immense. That doesn't mean that amateur guys aren't good people, or even good amateur umpires, it just means they aren't on the level at that level. Some of us need to realize we really couldn't win a game of one on one with Michael Jordan. It's a great fantasy but, as much as we would like to compare ourselves to him, ("I've got 10 fingers and toes too...") we would not even be worth his time it would take to embarrass us. A blue shirt doesn't make you an umpire, and being good at one level doesn't make you even qualified at the next.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jrutledge,

Do you realize that you do not seem to actually reply to what people are saying? Maybe you do this by accident but it sure seems like you do it on purpose.

I already said it does not offend me.

It was asked for you produce something that ANYone said inflammatory or insulting about AMLU guys. You utterly refuse to do so-I think it is because you made it up.
I have answered your question, I just do not agree with you. You also can look up any discussion that we have had here. I am not going to waste my time when this site clearly has a search feature where any of us can look up words, topics and people's posts. I do not refuse to do anything. I think that you are intelligent enough to use the feature and come to a conclusion all by yourself. You have seemed to drawn a conclusion so why do you need me to prove it to you?

Quote:
My point is that it is not constructive to use insulting and inflammatory language. It certainly is not in harmony with your sig.

Joe
I do not thing it matters or has anything to do with being inflammatory on an internet site. If this comment is inflammatory it makes me wonder how umpires like yourself react when other things are said on the field?

Peace
Closed Thread