The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to illiniwek8
Catcher's Interference or Obstruction?

Not sure if it is interference or obstruction but batter swings and hits ball to shortstop.....bat slightly touched by catcher's mitt....enough that only myself, the catcher, and the batter(i thought) would know. I don't call anything....should have.....ooops....is it a dead ball, delayed dead ball? Is it obstruction or interference? Thanx

Federation Rules (high school game)
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwek8
Not sure if it is interference or obstruction but batter swings and hits ball to shortstop.....bat slightly touched by catcher's mitt....enough that only myself, the catcher, and the batter(i thought) would know. I don't call anything....should have.....ooops....is it a dead ball, delayed dead ball? Is it obstruction or interference? Thanx

Federation Rules (high school game)

Delayed dead ball. Best scenario goes to the offense.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
FED actually calls this "catcher's obstruction". It is a delayed dead ball. The penalty is the same as OBR "catcher's interference", where it is also a delayed dead ball.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Ask the manager which scenario he wants if both could be considered favorable. (ie a runner advances to 3rd and the runner is thrown out at 1st, he may want the batter out and the advance to third)

If he chooses the penalty, remember only the BR goes to 1st, and everyone advances ONLY if forced by the BR.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen yesterday. My take on it is if everyone makes it safe I won't push it. If the coach & battrer don't have anything to say about it I'm not going to open a can of worms & delay the game. In my case it was a foul tip & I put B1 on 1st.

OK go ahead and slam me now for not following the letter of the law. I'm a big boy, I can take it!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Ask the manager which scenario he wants if both could be considered favorable. (ie a runner advances to 3rd and the runner is thrown out at 1st, he may want the batter out and the advance to third)

If he chooses the penalty, remember only the BR goes to 1st, and everyone advances ONLY if forced by the BR.

I might see explaining the option to a coach if he asks, but I don't think it's our job to go to him and ask him what he wants. He's the coach, let him come to you.

JMO

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 02:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by big
I had this happen yesterday. My take on it is if everyone makes it safe I won't push it. If the coach & battrer don't have anything to say about it I'm not going to open a can of worms & delay the game. In my case it was a foul tip & I put B1 on 1st.

OK go ahead and slam me now for not following the letter of the law. I'm a big boy, I can take it!
In your case, the manager has no option. You made the only possible call, as the batter did not advance, and neither did any other runner for that matter. You awarded the batter 1st base, and that's all folks.

BTW, we have discussed this before, and like Tim just said, while you might want to help the coach out by giving him the options, it is not your place by rule to do so. The coach is supposed to inform you of his choice. The coaches need to know the rules at this level (HS), especially the ones that actually pertain to them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree with BigUmp56 and I never offer options to the manager. If he comes and asks then I will be more than happy to offer and discuss the options.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Ozzy and Tim have it correct: pro instruction (which also applies to the FED rule, which is substantially the same - only the name is different) is to call the violation when you see it and allow play to continue.

If BR and all runners advance at least one base, disregard the interference (why would the coach take it anyway?).

If the BR is put out or any runner fails to advance, then enforce the interference:
BR gets 1B,
R3 (if any) who was stealing/squeezing gets HP,
other runners stealing get their advance base,
runners forced move up,
any other runners not forced and not stealing remain at their TOI base.

O-coach can stop me to ask/discuss/request to keep the play. I will NOT approach him. The rule specifically requires him to ask me immediately at the conclusion of the play (umpire discretion as to what "immediately" means, and it's probably level-relative).
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I have always understood it to be call the interference. Let the play occur. Then Enforce the interference, make the coach tell you he doesn't want it enforced. I see what your saying about all advancing at least one, but if anyone is out at anytime, I'm enforcing the call and making the coach tell me not to.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
... I see what your saying about all advancing at least one, but if anyone is out at anytime, I'm enforcing the call and making the coach tell me not to.
3appleshigh,

Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying, but that is incorrect. If the BR reaches 1B safely and all runners advance one base safely, there is, by rule, nothing to enforce. If both conditions are met (i.e., both the BR and any other runners advance one base safely) and one of the offensive players is subsequently put out on the play, the out stands.

For another opinion on whether or not the umpire should offer the offended coach an option or wait until he asks, I offer the following from the BRD:

Quote:
...Both JEA and J/R indicate the correct procedure is for the umpire to enforce the penalty for catcher interference, willy nilly. Then, if the offensive coach requests the option, the ruling will be changed. I believe that's wrong for amateur umpires, and I am joined in that assessment by senior NCAA Division I umpires Jon Bible and Ken Allen. Simply: When an option exists, offer it to the coach. ...
Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me. I know when the option is there and I won't hesitate to tell the umpire I want the result of the play rather than the penalty if I feel it is best for my team.

If my catcher interfered (Obstructed in FED) and the umpire offers the opposing manager the option, rather than waiting for him to request it, I'm not going to get upset about it.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:52am.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
MLB 6.08 (c)

A batter is entitled to 1st base when (c) If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference. If catcher's interference is called with a play in progress the umpire will allow the play to continue because the manager may elect to take the play.

Sounds like in MLB, the manager has to alert the umpire.

I don't have my rulebooks with me, and there are no websites I can find for OBR and NFHS and LL. I'm sure if ya'll look in chapter 6 you should find something. When you do could you post it here? Thanks.