View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
... I see what your saying about all advancing at least one, but if anyone is out at anytime, I'm enforcing the call and making the coach tell me not to.
3appleshigh,

Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying, but that is incorrect. If the BR reaches 1B safely and all runners advance one base safely, there is, by rule, nothing to enforce. If both conditions are met (i.e., both the BR and any other runners advance one base safely) and one of the offensive players is subsequently put out on the play, the out stands.

For another opinion on whether or not the umpire should offer the offended coach an option or wait until he asks, I offer the following from the BRD:

Quote:
...Both JEA and J/R indicate the correct procedure is for the umpire to enforce the penalty for catcher interference, willy nilly. Then, if the offensive coach requests the option, the ruling will be changed. I believe that's wrong for amateur umpires, and I am joined in that assessment by senior NCAA Division I umpires Jon Bible and Ken Allen. Simply: When an option exists, offer it to the coach. ...
Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me. I know when the option is there and I won't hesitate to tell the umpire I want the result of the play rather than the penalty if I feel it is best for my team.

If my catcher interfered (Obstructed in FED) and the umpire offers the opposing manager the option, rather than waiting for him to request it, I'm not going to get upset about it.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Thu Apr 06, 2006 at 10:52am.