The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

911 - Cell Phones

Take the time to find out what the non-911 emergency number is for each locality. Calling 911 from a cell phone may route your call to a central dispatch, and that dispatcher would then have to relay the information to the local area.

For instance, in my area 911 on a cell phone goes to the highway patrol dispatch center, with that person transferring/relaying the call to the locality. Having a direct number can save precious time... and don't forget to pre-program the area code for those who travel.

At least here, the non-911 number is ###-0911.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

this call wasnt baseball related - but i tried to call the non-emergency police number for my town the other day for something that was happening but they dont have anyone at the desk after certain hours, which i found odd. i had to call 911 and immediately say "this isnt an emergency, but i need assistance"

if you for some reason need help at the field and are working a night game but cant get the non-emergency number to pick up, call 911 but make sure they dont think a house is burning down or you are held hostage...unless the field is on fire and players took you hostage.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I am referring to an "emergency" number directly to local dispatch, something other than 911.

Good point about having the non-emergency number also...

Your phone book should have all the numbers listed somewhere, an emergency number (not 911), a non-emergency number, and 911 (if available).

My local bell book, first page (opposite inside cover):
Huge red 911
Listing for each cities non-emergency numbers for Fire and for PD, and one set for the county.
In the "government" section, there is a listing for Fire, and for PD, showing 911 with a second line showing the non-911 (but still) emergency number.

It is confusing, something that needs to be addressed a little more clearly by the cell phone companies.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Check with your cell provider if they have a number you can dial that goes to the local non-emergency number at the sheriff's department. In my area if you dial 311, it will connect you with them.

If you dial 911, say that you are not from the area and need someone to respond but did not know the non-emergency number, that is perfectly fine. You can take my word for it as I am one that answers your calls.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure how baseball related these posts are, but do you all bring your phone onto the field? If someone is dying on my field, i give them cpr and tell someone else to make the call.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d26
Take the time to find out what the non-911 emergency number is for each locality. Calling 911 from a cell phone may route your call to a central dispatch, and that dispatcher would then have to relay the information to the local area.

For instance, in my area 911 on a cell phone goes to the highway patrol dispatch center, with that person transferring/relaying the call to the locality. Having a direct number can save precious time... and don't forget to pre-program the area code for those who travel.

At least here, the non-911 number is ###-0911.
This is very bad advise!

I work for SBC/AT&T and we handle 911 equipment and line troubles in my department. If you are on a cell phone you have no ALI (Automatic Line Identification) associated with your cell phone. This is the location of your phone and it is only available on your land line at this time. the line number (ANI) is there but it is useless information as the ANI of a cell phone is attached to the provider of the cell service.

The Cell Answering Station (usually the State Police) can also triangulate your location if your cell phone provides the signal. Most of the local 911 PSAP's (Public Service Answering Positions) cannot do this.

Simply put, if you have an emergency, follow the direction of the area you are in. If it says dial 911 on the cell phone - follow the directions!
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction on D26. Ozzy is awarded third base.

A good friend works at a phone company, and he was able to verify everything said by Ozzy above.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Are you saying it is faster to call 911 in every locality? Are you saying no one will respond if you use the locally published emergency number other than 911? Are you saying in every locality has 911? Who do you call if the 911 system is down (it does happen)? I don't know the answer, but what about locations where only analog cell is working/available?

Sure, if you cannot speak, call 911 and hope someone figures out where you are in a timely fashion. If you can speak and know your location, call whatever number gets the fastest response. That is why checking the local phone book, or calling the non-emergency number during business hours for the latest and best information is a good idea.

At a BB field, the non-emergency number is probably more likely to be needed than a number calling for code 3 type responses. I am of the opinion that it is not a code 3 emergency for many broken bones, sprains, crowd control (some cases excepted), and so on. Of course it always puzzles me when I hear someone got knocked in the head, is nauseous and/or sleepy, and mom & dad drive the player to the hospital at their leisure - when head injuries are "911" worthy.

I used to race karts at an out of the way location - a hobby that can involve life threatening injuries. The one time I needed to make an emergency call, I was lucky enough to have a LL available. Triagulating a location based on a cell phone might help, but there is a motocross course "next door", so which track to they check out first?

More than anything, think about what you would do - in advance.

Whether or not you agree with my methods/opinions, the goal is reached if you have given this some thought.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Listen D26, you may be lucky enough to be in an area where they are still using analog lines to the local PSAPS. In many locations around the country, the PSAPS are using ISDN lines. You cannot access these ISDN lines unless you go through the 911 system.

Now for the scary part - PSAPS that use the ISDN system route the old xxx-0911 number to their Administrative lines which do not get answered in a priority fashion!

Now personally, I don't care what you dial. Just don't be surprised that if you need 911 and dial some other number - you may not get helped.

I hope you never need it.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips.alex
I'm not sure how baseball related these posts are, but do you all bring your phone onto the field? If someone is dying on my field, i give them cpr and tell someone else to make the call.
i dont bring a phone near the field, nor do i administer aid that i am not certified to give.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Brian:

Is there a first responder certification program available to you at school?

If there is I strongly urge you to take advantage of it and become certified.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Here where I live in Kansas there is no other number then 911. HOWEVER I found out last year when I was headed back home and I was 50 miles out I made a 911 call because there were cattle roaming around on the freeway and a dispatcher 250 miles away in Missouri answered. That dispatcher told me to call information and get the local number of the local sheriff department.

I'm sure glad that i was able to be a big help in this discussion!

BIG'S BLOG
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey big, it might just be a problem in Kansas. I am a dispatcher in east central KS and have received 911 calls from as far away as Wichita. It seems to depend on what tower it diverts the calls to. Other dispatchers have recounted receiving 911 calls from Nebraska, and we are 60 miles south of Topeka. I any event know what county you are in. Our county handles all 911 as well as PD calls after hours and weekends. 911 is your best bet to receive help when needed.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Hey big, it might just be a problem in Kansas.
Ken- Send me a PM or an email if you would. I'd like to ask you a question off board.

Thanks!

BIG'S BLOG