The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 10:55pm
Veteran College Umpire

Can you legally and without liability of being put out, overrun first base on a base on balls? I know codes differ, and this topic has been touched on before, but here it is again. Sorry if I'm being repetative!

JJ
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

No, you can be put out if tagged.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 11:18pm
Veteran College Umpire

Hmmm. Actually, I went to ask.com and asked, and was directed to the official forum - an old thread from last year - and it says there it's legal in Pro and NCAA, but you can't overrun first in FED. Even gave a Pro rule reference....
I think I'll leave this thread up for awhile just so others can see it, even though my question has been answered.

JJ
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

In OBR there is no penalty for the over running . . .

In FED you cannot over run without putting yourself at risk of being put out.

-------

My favorite FED play:

3 balls 2 strikes, first base unoccupied.

Curve ball in the dirt.

Batter may, or may not have swung.

Ball rolls away from F2.

Batter runs to first,

F2 throws to first but batter runner beats the throw and crosses base into the outfield grass.

F3 walks out and tags him.

Catcher then appeals to BU: "Did he go?"

So at the FED level you have:

If the batter walked, "no he didn't go!" (i.e. was awarded first base without liability to be put out) he would now be out.

But if the batter struck out, "Yes, he went!" you would have a runner that is safe (as he can overrun on a third strike not caught) when he actually potentially made an out.

Makes my head hurt sometimes.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Not..... gonnna......... respond................
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I'm glad somebody said it first, Mike.

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Me too, me too . . .

I over-estimated some of the potential audience.

[Edited by Tim C on Feb 9th, 2006 at 10:12 AM]
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Brain Pulsing...... fingers straining........ SANITY DRAINING........ Lightbulb switched to off! No response!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I believe that Tee implied a verbal call in this situation. Is your high horse maybe a donkey?

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, that's even worse than I thought it was.

I originally someone was saying that BU should verbalize his decision on the call before being asked (awful!). I now know that he was saying PU (!) should verbalize BU's call before F2 asked PU to appeal to BU.

Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense. I missed Carnac's School of Umpiring.

Crap. I've been trolled. I really should delete this, but I can't.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I Carl's book, he states that some crews skip the whole "wait for the PU to ask the BU" step when the both teams needs to know and it could affect the play.

He goes on to call it the advanced mechanic, when the BU doesn't wait for an appeal and makes the call in those instances.

Hummmm???

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Wow, that's even worse than I thought it was.

I originally someone was saying that BU should verbalize his decision on the call before being asked (awful!). I now know that he was saying PU (!) should verbalize BU's call before F2 asked PU to appeal to BU.

Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense. I missed Carnac's School of Umpiring.

Crap. I've been trolled. I really should delete this, but I can't.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
PWL:

In FED the note to rule 10-1-4 is what you're looking for. It's say's the UIC "sometimes" asks for aide. That leads me to believe that it not mandatory, although I can't imagine why someone would not go for help when asked.

In OBR, it's a different story. The rule say's the PU "must" ask for help.

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Forgive me if I'm wrong. Do we have to ask for an appeal in FED? ... "He didn't go did he?". That is my way of telling my partner he didn't strike at the ball... It is only fair to both teams.
Yes if the catcher makes the request you should ask your partner.

And if you SAY "He didn't go, did he?" the craphouse is going to explode if your partner comes back with his honest answer of "YES HE DID!"

Pregaming this subterfuge is not "fair to both teams."
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to make a leap here. Please don't disappoint me, or I won't do it again. Because your most recent post seemed more honest than usual, I'm going to assume, PWL, that your responses are not trolling this time, and you really mean what you said...

God help me.

OBR has decreed that the swing/no-swing is BU's call. If you are asked, you ask your partner. PLEASE don't ever lead the witness like you proposed. It's HIS call, 100%.

FED has decreed that if PU got a good look at the swing/no-swing, he CAN decide not to appeal to partner. If you got a good look, and KNOW it was no swing, don't appeal. Don't try the "He didn't go, did he?". First, it will piss off 75% of the coaches who hear you phrase it that way, and second, it opens a HUGE $hitstorm if partner disagrees with you. (Obviously, if you thought he swung, you would have called it a strike in the first place). if you DIDN'T get a good look, and you're asked to appeal - do so, again, without leading questions.

Now, to this specific situation, I've seen/read the mechanic that allows PU, if he felt the swing was borderline and it is important to other baserunners or the flow of the game to know if it was a strike immediately, PU can appeal to his partner without being asked by the defense. This might be a play where PU might want to employ this mechanic.

But PU would never verbalize this call, as you suggested early. PU simply calls it a strike if he swung, a ball if he thinks he didn't, and appeals to partner if appropriate as above.

Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Well now we are headed for the PU saying: "No, he didn't go!"

Still a mechanic I would never use, but it is acceptable and is taught.

I thought this group of astute readers would have already understood the issue of asking, or not: timing of request: and what can be offered when.

I just wanted to post a play that has odd possibilites.

But again, we see horribly untrained jv umpires answering in the most incorrect way possible.

If you don't say: "no he didn't go!", then you never have to worry about your pards saying something different.

Of course, this is just my opinion.