View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to make a leap here. Please don't disappoint me, or I won't do it again. Because your most recent post seemed more honest than usual, I'm going to assume, PWL, that your responses are not trolling this time, and you really mean what you said...

God help me.

OBR has decreed that the swing/no-swing is BU's call. If you are asked, you ask your partner. PLEASE don't ever lead the witness like you proposed. It's HIS call, 100%.

FED has decreed that if PU got a good look at the swing/no-swing, he CAN decide not to appeal to partner. If you got a good look, and KNOW it was no swing, don't appeal. Don't try the "He didn't go, did he?". First, it will piss off 75% of the coaches who hear you phrase it that way, and second, it opens a HUGE $hitstorm if partner disagrees with you. (Obviously, if you thought he swung, you would have called it a strike in the first place). if you DIDN'T get a good look, and you're asked to appeal - do so, again, without leading questions.

Now, to this specific situation, I've seen/read the mechanic that allows PU, if he felt the swing was borderline and it is important to other baserunners or the flow of the game to know if it was a strike immediately, PU can appeal to his partner without being asked by the defense. This might be a play where PU might want to employ this mechanic.

But PU would never verbalize this call, as you suggested early. PU simply calls it a strike if he swung, a ball if he thinks he didn't, and appeals to partner if appropriate as above.