The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

It's not the crime (call) that is the ultimate problem, it is the cover-up. Eddings could have and should have corrected the situation, but instead he decided to cover up his mistake.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I taught my 6-yr old players, "If in doubt, tag them out".
If there is as choice to be made, I taught them to go for the lead runner. What do I care about a BR going to first, whom I can agrue about later, when I can get a scoring threat and then maybe the 'extra out' from the BR who was supposed to be out in the first place.

Yes, PWL, it is that easy. No tunnel vision needed. Just clear direction from the coach on what he expects his players to do. My teams, the only ones confused about the situation are the other team and the blues. The other team, not my problem. The blues will either get it right or we have a discussion and then they get it right.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It's like I said before. I caught from the age of 9 years old all the way through my first year of college. I have never looked back to see what the umpire was doing on an uncaught third strike. My coaches would have pulled me out in a heart beat if I did. If the pitch is even close to the dirt you just tag the runner. If you miss the tag you trail the runner up the first baseline about four or five feet in fair territory and throw him out.

Tim.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Great reply Tim, as a former catcher it was up to me to remove all dought on that play, its called good coaching.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

That's why I'm in the camp that utimately blames Josh Paul for the incident. Eddings could have been clearer and may have screwed up altoghether, but Paul should have removed all doubt by tagging A.J.

I will always wonder if Molina wouldn't have played on Pierzynski.

Tim.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I'm a yougin

I'm young, only 2nd year, and I know my teacher taught me not to say out in this situation.

Whats wrong with verbalizing this call people, other then "we aren't supposed to". It makes no sense.

We leave people, especially the catcher who isn't facing us and can't possibly see our mechanics, in the dark. Do you really think players or coaches really know the difference between your strike 3 out and strike 3 mechanic? They, at that point in the game, may have never seen your strike 3 out machanic.

It can't hurt to say it in my mind. But since I have to move up the ranks of my brother umpires, I can't say it. Silly in my mind.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

If you'll read back through the post's in this thread you'll see that most of the board is in agreement on an acceptable mechanic for an uncaught third strike.

If the ball is caught cleanly for the third strike you should just verbally announce "out" loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear. What you shouldn't do is shout "batters out." Everybody in the stands knows the batter just struck out and a big verbal announcement is showing up the batter.

If the third strike is uncaught with first base unoccupied with less than two outs, then you should verbally announce "no catch, no catch."

Tim.