View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Now, specifically looking at the uncaught check swing or caught/uncaught foul tip scenario, I must initially rely in part on my partner assuming I cannot determine whether or not it hit the ground. However, a uniform mechanic in this situation would be nice. I always hate having to try and speed myself up abit so that the BR or F2 know what my call will be.

In my experience I very seldom verbalize "batter out". I have a different mechanic for strike one and strike two than my mechanic for strike three (as most of you do). If batter swings, then everyone knows what going on so my mechanic is nonverbal( a simple pointing of my first two fingers at a right angle to the batter). If he does not swing, then for strike one and two I will use the same mechanic but I will verballize. If it is strike three swinging and caught then I pull out the hammer, but if it is uncaught, then I give a mechanic similar to my strike one or strike two swinging mechanic, I then move to see BR and if tag is applied, I give fist. At no point do I verbalize (unless it is a JV small school game where they are not sure how to button their pants).