The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There are two writers on the paid site worth renewing my subscription over -- Tee and Peter.

What happened to Peter and why are his planned articles not in the "On Deck" section?

--Rich
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
There are two writers on the paid site worth renewing my subscription over -- Tee and Peter.

What happened to Peter and why are his planned articles not in the "On Deck" section?

--Rich
Mr. Osborne has been very busy of late -- with his day job.

He has no articles in the queue.

Perhaps an email from you might jog his creativity.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:

--Rich
Mr. Osborne has been very busy of late -- with his day job.

He has no articles in the queue.

Perhaps an email from you might jog his creativity.
Nah, if there's one thing I know you only write when the feeling hits you. Oh, and I also know what it's like to be busy on the day job as well.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

good article

Also Agree, I like the stuff Peter Osborne writes.......looking forward to his return. Until then there is a good article by Roper up today.........

Stan
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 05:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: good article

Quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump
Also Agree, I like the stuff Peter Osborne writes.......looking forward to his return. Until then there is a good article by Roper up today.........

Stan
Except I would never interpret "taking the rubber" as anything other than what is intended -- pitching to a batter.

The umpire in the story should've just ejected the manager. Too much effort, unwarranted, in keeping someone around who doesn't deserve it.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I think you have made a rare mistake Rich

MLBUM 3.4:

"A substitution is completed and the player is considered as having entered the game when the manager or his designee notifies the plate umpire of the substitution. If no such notification is given to the umpire or after notification no announcement is made, the player shall be considered as having entered the game when:

"(1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher's plate prior to delivering a pitch (preparatory or
otherwise);"
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives

MLBUM 3.4:

"A substitution is completed and the player is considered as having entered the game when the manager or his designee notifies the plate umpire of the substitution. If no such notification is given to the umpire or after notification no announcement is made, the player shall be considered as having entered the game when:

"(1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher's plate prior to delivering a pitch (preparatory or
otherwise);"
Memoirs of several former professional umpires mention firestorms that occurred when they properly enforced the rule.

But note that Mr. Fronheiser made no claim that what he did was right. All he said was: "I would never interpret 'taking the rubber' as anything other than what is intended -- pitching to a batter."

Considering the points you make in your upcoming article, that shouldn't be hard for you to understand, if not approve of.

Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Approve? Well it helps prove the point.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Re: Re: good article

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump

Stan
Except I would never interpret "taking the rubber" as anything other than what is intended -- pitching to a batter.

The umpire in the story should've just ejected the manager. Too much effort, unwarranted, in keeping someone around who doesn't deserve it.
you miss the point...an ejection was the easy way out, and FWIW, considered by the 16 yr old umpire. The umpire decided to make a point.

This past Saturday, I worked a game with the young chap's father. Comment overheard in the dugout..."****, we got Roper and Marts. Roper is the head umpire up here and Marts is the dad of that kid that f****d the Deers. Marts taught his boy everything he knows. If his boy knows the rules...No pushin' these guys around..."

I just smiled and went about my business.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:

MLBUM 3.4:

otherwise);"
Memoirs of several former professional umpires mention firestorms that occurred when they properly enforced the rule.

But note that Mr. Fronheiser made no claim that what he did was right. All he said was: "I would never interpret 'taking the rubber' as anything other than what is intended -- pitching to a batter."

Considering the points you make in your upcoming article, that shouldn't be hard for you to understand, if not approve of.

Oh, I have a copy of the MLBUM and know this citation. Sometimes it's nice to know that a citation is so obscure that even a protest committee wouldn't find it
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MLBUM 3.4:

otherwise);"

Oh, I have a copy of the MLBUM and know this citation. Sometimes it's nice to know that a citation is so obscure that even a protest committee wouldn't find it
Well, gosh: The protest committee may not have the MLBUM, but I'll bet a dollar to a penny they have the OBR:

3.08(a): "If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considerfed as having entered the game when - (1) If a pitcher, he take his place on the pitcher's plate."

FED is different - and better:

(3-1-1): "Should there be no announcement of substitutions, a substitute has entered the game when the ball is alive and: ... (b) a pitcher takes his place on the pitcher's plate."

Surely this statute doesn't come as a surprise to you.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

I don't subscribe to the paid side as of yet, so I did not read the article you are discussing.

Are you discussing a player, other than the pitcher, throwing warm up pitches from the rubber being forced to face at least one batter?

Thanks,

Tim.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

I don't subscribe to the paid side as of yet, so I did not read the article you are discussing.

Are you discussing a player, other than the pitcher, throwing warm up pitches from the rubber being forced to face at least one batter?

Thanks,

Tim.
Yes.

No time like the present to subscribe. If you itemize, it's a deductible expense.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 06:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MLBUM 3.4:

otherwise);"

Well, gosh: The protest committee may not have the MLBUM, but I'll bet a dollar to a penny they have the OBR:

3.08(a): "If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considerfed as having entered the game when - (1) If a pitcher, he take his place on the pitcher's plate."

FED is different - and better:

(3-1-1): "Should there be no announcement of substitutions, a substitute has entered the game when the ball is alive and: ... (b) a pitcher takes his place on the pitcher's plate."

Surely this statute doesn't come as a surprise to you.
It's easy for me to take the FED citation and apply it in an OBR game. I can always say that "taking his place on the pitcher's plate" can't possibly happen until I make the ball live.

Why would an umpire want to stick it up a team's backside in this manner? Furthermore, if the guy who took a warmup pitch isn't a pitcher, why would I want to have him throw pitches at me?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Why would an umpire want to stick it up a team's backside in this manner?

It may not have been the case here, but we've probably all encountered a team at one time or another that did deserve it.