Thread: Where's Peter?
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Re: Re: good article

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by piaa_ump
Also Agree, I like the stuff Peter Osborne writes.......looking forward to his return. Until then there is a good article by Roper up today.........

Stan
Except I would never interpret "taking the rubber" as anything other than what is intended -- pitching to a batter.

The umpire in the story should've just ejected the manager. Too much effort, unwarranted, in keeping someone around who doesn't deserve it.
you miss the point...an ejection was the easy way out, and FWIW, considered by the 16 yr old umpire. The umpire decided to make a point.

This past Saturday, I worked a game with the young chap's father. Comment overheard in the dugout..."****, we got Roper and Marts. Roper is the head umpire up here and Marts is the dad of that kid that f****d the Deers. Marts taught his boy everything he knows. If his boy knows the rules...No pushin' these guys around..."

I just smiled and went about my business.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass