The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I did write that didn't I. I was trying to defend myself then, and when I said JUCO, it was when I was playing JUCO ball and coach was too cheap to pay umpires so he made the catchers who weren't playing that game do it. We rotated. Sorry bout that. Also, when I said high school, I meant high school aged kids in the summer. Not official high school ball. Yeah, I know, I'm a lying b@$stard, but there is a little bit of truth behind it :-). Sorry bout the miscommunication mrm. I was just new to the forum and somebody was letting me have it so I felt as though I had to defend myself.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Thanks SoCal, its ok.

In a previous post Dude wrote that he previously worked JUCO ball along with a varsity HS schedule. That type of stuff will not fly in a college game Dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeinblue
Alright, I had this happen tonight in the AA USSSA 12 year old world series.

So I say to him in a calm manner, "Batter those balls are strikes buddy, you better swing the bat." The next pitch he swings at a ball 2 feet over his head and strikes out, only to again throw his hands up once more as if it was my mistake. Well, he goes in the dugout and tells about the 4th dugout bench assistant coach (probably his dad), that the umpire was talking to him while he was hitting and that's why he struck out.
Attaboy Dude, you show that 12 year old whose wearing the pants on the field.

Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Thanks SoCal, its ok.

Attaboy Dude, you show that 12 year old whose wearing the pants on the field.

You mean, "who's wearing the pants on the field", right? I mean, I don't know whose. Didn't you take english comp?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SoCalUmp Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalUmp
Quote:
If you read his post, obviously he has. I am not coming off as an @sshole, I was just explaining that I don't have much experience.

"I remember you giving it to Tee a while back on a previous post about your experience and so forth. That really says a lot after this post. Also, I was saying "Why the heck" way before I got to the end of the post."

Gee, I wonder if mrm has read any of my previous posts? Well, I better think about what I say b/c maybe he hasn't.

dumba$$
Dude,

I was not saying you were an @sshole, just coming off as one, clearly I misread MRM's post...but the dumba$$ comment directed at me is confusing. I must surely be a dumb *** being that last year, when I was your age might I add, I was a full time college umpire. I will tell you what... if you really want to move up in the ranks, I will explain to you how you need to act, and how you need to carry yourself on and off the field ok?

Rob
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalUmp
Quote:
If you read his post, obviously he has. I am not coming off as an @sshole, I was just explaining that I don't have much experience.

"I remember you giving it to Tee a while back on a previous post about your experience and so forth. That really says a lot after this post. Also, I was saying "Why the heck" way before I got to the end of the post."

Gee, I wonder if mrm has read any of my previous posts? Well, I better think about what I say b/c maybe he hasn't.

dumba$$
Dude,

I was not saying you were an @sshole, just coming off as one, clearly I misread MRM's post...but the dumba$$ comment directed at me is confusing. I must surely be a dumb *** being that last year, when I was your age might I add, I was a full time college umpire. I will tell you what... if you really want to move up in the ranks, I will explain to you how you need to act, and how you need to carry yourself on and off the field ok?

Rob
How could the dumba$$ comment be confusing? Pretty clear to me. I called you a dumba$$ because you can't read. Now, your post to me seemed like you were being a smarta$$, so I was one back. It's tough to tell when somebody is being sarcastic, a smarta$$, polite, etc. on here. I just depicted your tone as being a smarta$$, so I was one back to you. And by the way, give me another year and I can brag about being a full time college umpire as well. I have been asked by 2 different people within the last month. I'm just unsure b/c I don't want to travel that much. Of course with being a college umpire I will go through training in the fall, and attend a few mandatory camps, so I will not be as big of a dumba$$ as I am now. But SoCal, my philosophy is, if someone is a smarta$$ to you, be one back to them. I thought you were being one, so I was on. My apologies to you since now I know you weren't being one.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

dumba$$
Dude,

Rob
How could the dumba$$ comment be confusing? Pretty clear to me. I called you a dumba$$ because you can't read. Now, your post to me seemed like you were being a smarta$$, so I was one back. It's tough to tell when somebody is being sarcastic, a smarta$$, polite, etc. on here. I just depicted your tone as being a smarta$$, so I was one back to you. And by the way, give me another year and I can brag about being a full time college umpire as well. I have been asked by 2 different people within the last month. I'm just unsure b/c I don't want to travel that much. Of course with being a college umpire I will go through training in the fall, and attend a few mandatory camps, so I will not be as big of a dumba$$ as I am now. But SoCal, my philosophy is, if someone is a smarta$$ to you, be one back to them. I thought you were being one, so I was on. My apologies to you since now I know you weren't being one.
Not being a smart *** here, but what training/experience do you have, that with three years of experience you were asked to work college ball?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for clarifying you were not being a smarta$$. This is a good question. Actually, the assignor that I work for has many guys calling for him that umpire college ball and they have all given me compliments and mentioned my name to the collegiate association. Also, I know some of the guys who are pretty high up there pretty well. And also, my father owns a baseball school and knows everybody associated with baseball in East Tennessee, so this gets me lots of opportunites. The college ball I would be doing would be JUCO, D2, and private schools. Probably mainly JUCO. Trust me, there are idiots umpiring college ball that are much more worse than I am. Hope this answers your question (by the way, I'm not being a smarta$$ either).
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying you were not being a smarta$$. This is a good question. Actually, the assignor that I work for has many guys calling for him that umpire college ball and they have all given me compliments and mentioned my name to the collegiate association. Also, I know some of the guys who are pretty high up there pretty well. And also, my father owns a baseball school and knows everybody associated with baseball in East Tennessee, so this gets me lots of opportunites. The college ball I would be doing would be JUCO, D2, and private schools. Probably mainly JUCO. Trust me, there are idiots umpiring college ball that are much more worse than I am. Hope this answers your question (by the way, I'm not being a smarta$$ either).
I was just curious because here in So Cal to be even a JUCO umpire one needs to slave in HS ball it seems or be a umpire school grad. I was the youngest umpire in my three college assoc. last year, and in all honestly I was only there because of my umpire school training. I was just curious what other parts of the country require for their college umpires.

Rob
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

So let me understand this. A third year umpire, who admits he has little experience and lied about his resume, is assigned to work a national youth league, USSSA, World Series.

Wow. And I thought Little League was screwed up.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
So let me understand this. A third year umpire, who admits he has little experience and lied about his resume, is assigned to work a national youth league, USSSA, World Series.

Some times these guys will get whomever they can get to work. Others will use better officials if they can. Others stick with those who have been calling for them all year.
I worked a AAA 13U Super Series national tourney and they used some more experienced higher level blues and some guys who called for him through out the year. The higher level guys were working at one site and the other guys were at another. Every comment about the blues said they prefered the higher level guys (wonder why?). Especially when I get asked about if the batter or runner should be called out on batter interference with the runner stealing second. Bet you can imagine which the little league blue called out.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Garth, I always get assigned working with older guys who have been in the game for a while, so it's not me and some other idiot. Also, I lied about working "real" high school and college ball to a couple of online umpires on a forum...BIG DEAL! How would my assignor know this? You know what, you're not even worth it Garth. Your opinion means nothing to me. I'd rather hear Tim C than you.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Dude,

If you don't mind, I will share some of my limited experience with you. I was able to work college games by my fourth year as an umpire. People thought I did a good job too. This was great for my ego, but the truth is I wasn't totally ready for it. We are all anxious or hungry to move up in the levels but need to be prepared. I suggest perhaps working more at the FED/Legion level to gain more experience (the pitching is a heck of a lot better than Little League) Try to hook up with an experienced and respected umpire who can mentor you.

I've been following your posts and I think you can gain more respect if you follow the advice of others here who have told you to stop with the firing back at every comment. It simply isn't needed.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

This is a perfect example of what Tee is talking about on this Forum.

I for one support him in blasting those that don't get, that they don't get it. Because in the long run, they are either going to become better officials or do us a favor and drop out.

So for all you righteous group huggers out there that are still looking to see what is hanging between your legs,

THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!!!!!!
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What did you expect Garth? Many experienced umpires either don't want to work "little boy ball" or believe they are "above" working that level of ball. Perhaps if more of these experienced umpires would... ahh, who am I kidding.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In any College or HS level game if you declaired a forfeit over a coach not leaving the field you are as a big of a fuc*ing schmuck as all of your posts lead me to believe. Even in youth ball are you really going to take a game away from kids over one idiot? Go back to your tball games "Charlie".
As I was skimming this flamefest, I came across this comment and have to ask, what exactly is your suggestion for dealing with an ejected rat who won't leave the field?

I've had high school and college-level training, and associate with a number of veteran umpires, and I think I'm pretty safe in saying the consensus among the umpires I'm familiar with is that standard procedure for an ejected rat who won't leave the field is to tell him he's risking a forfeit for his team.

So please enlighten me - what IS the proper way of handling an ejected participant who refuses to leave the field?
Closed Thread