The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
We have an "official" in our high school association that insists that batter boxes, foul lines, on deck circles and coaches boxes have to be drawn before a game starts. I could have sworn that I have seen in the Fed rule book where it says it is optional but per 1-2-1 if they are drawn they must be drawn with a material that is not injurious to the eyes or skin and that lime or caustic material of any kind is prohibited. It may have been a couple years ago that it was in the rule book saying that the lines are optional. Can anyone help me out on this?

This guy has benn known to hold up starting ball games till all of the lines were drawn (on deck and coaches boxes included) and has been known to draw them himself. Tee would love calling with this guy!

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by cowbyfan1

We have an "official" in our high school association that insists that batter boxes, foul lines, on deck circles and coaches boxes have to be drawn before a game starts.

This guy has benn known to hold up starting ball games till all of the lines were drawn (on deck and coaches boxes included) and has been known to draw them himself. Tee would love calling with this guy!

My first question would be

Why hasn't this been brought-up in the association meeting? Is this official a "Big Dog" so every member kisses his you know what or is afraid to express their opinions.

In addition if he is holding up ball-games are the coaches complaining to the assignor?

Your thread is an association problem not a strict FED problem.

Why!

Check out FED rule 3-2-1

While occupying a coaches box, he shall be in the uniform of his team.

In doing modified HS baseball you will no doubt find coaches out of uniform or have no uniform period because of budget constraints. If someone complains, you simply notify the AD's office.

In Summary, Your thread falls under the category of "Check with your association" / AD's Office and is not a STRICT FED thing.

Pete Booth

Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

A good definition!

Quote:
We have an "official" in our high school association that insists that batter boxes, foul lines, on deck circles and coaches boxes have to be drawn before a game starts. I could have sworn that I have seen in the Fed rule book where it says it is optional but per 1-2-1 if they are drawn they must be drawn with a material that is not injurious to the eyes or skin and that lime or caustic material of any kind is prohibited. It may have been a couple years ago that it was in the rule book saying that the lines are optional. Can anyone help me out on this?

That could be part of the definition - as we often call them

SMITTY!

The guys an idiot!

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:

The lines are not optional, but he has no authority to force the home team to make changes. The only one who could do that is the visiting coach. If he agrees to play on a non-regulation field, that's it. (2-5-2)

Cowboyfan, tell old Smitty to stay in his day job because he ain't getting no more work at night. Seriously!

Heck, I apologize to Smitty. Not even he is that ridiculous.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Jul 16th, 2005 at 06:06 PM]
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

We have an "official" in our high school association that insists that batter boxes, foul lines, on deck circles and coaches boxes have to be drawn before a game starts.

Why hasn't this been brought-up in the association meeting? Is this official a "Big Dog" so every member kisses his you know what or is afraid to express their opinions.

In addition if he is holding up ball-games are the coaches complaining to the assignor?

Why!

Check out FED rule 3-2-1

In doing modified HS baseball you will no doubt find coaches out of uniform or have no uniform period because of budget constraints. If someone complains, you simply notify the AD's office.

In Summary, Your thread falls under the category of "Check with your association" / AD's Office and is not a STRICT FED thing.

Pete Booth

Trust me in that the association President and VP, as well as others have told him they are not needed. I just could have sworen that the Fed said it is optional to have these markings. 99.9% of the time it is the coaches box, running lane, and on deck circles this guy harps about. Any school I have been to has at least had the batters boxs and foul lines drawn.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Why!

Check out FED rule 3-2-1

Pete Booth

Trust me in that the association President and VP, as well as others have told him they are not needed. I just could have sworen that the Fed said it is optional to have these markings. 99.9% of the time it is the coaches box, running lane, and on deck circles this guy harps about. Any school I have been to has at least had the batters boxs and foul lines drawn.
Well I can see a foul line being needed; however, I would ask the official, why do you need the batter's box drawn.

Then I would ask him how many times he's called a guy out for being out of the box etc.,

Either there is a correlation or the guy is extreme OCD!

And I should add, the guy would not be very happy calling a game with myself - (g)

Thanks
David